Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need help. computer noob.

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 07, 2012 10:32 |  #1

hi guys. i need help.

my toshiba m800 has an intel core 2 duo with 2gb ram running on a 32-bit windows 7 OS.

it takes quite a while for lightroom 3 to start up which kinda sucks and its also a bit "laggy" in the sense that sometimes i have to wait a second or two for the changes i made to show on the screen.

i was thinking if i should add another 2gb ram (because 32-bit can only use up to 4gb ram correct?) or should i just get a new laptop?

i use this laptop for basic photo editing but i would like to get into video editing as well.

thanks!

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 07, 2012 10:38 |  #2

RAM is cheap, so it won't set you back much to try that first. And then if still not responsive enough then look for a new laptop. Windows 8 will be shipping at the end of the year. I would hold out til then if possible.

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 07, 2012 12:48 |  #3

add the 2gb. If it doesn't perform to your expectations, you at least spent a little bit of money and also increased the resale of the notebook.

I would also recommend perhaps an SSD. Again, if it doesn't meet your performance gains, you can take that SSD to your next notebook or desktop.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 07, 2012 13:02 |  #4

Core 2 Duo is showing its age. But more RAM should help. I would also see how much software you have running. A hard drive upgrade could also help. A lot of these companies load lots of stuff on the computers. The first thing I do when I purchase a laptop is wipe the hard drive and install from scratch so I can put only what I want on it.

Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 07, 2012 15:40 |  #5

RAM will help a little, but that's a really old PC so it'll still be slow. I wouldn't waste your money on RAM, save up for an i3/i5 with 8-16GB of RAM, it'll be many times faster than that old thing could ever be. LR is very CPU hungry.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 07, 2012 19:11 |  #6

Ok thanks for your opinions. I will probably just get a new one when windows 8 comes out or a mac. Its about time i changed anyway. Haha.

well hello
Flickr (external link)

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 07, 2012 19:13 |  #7

Numenorean wrote in post #13842829 (external link)
Core 2 Duo is showing its age. But more RAM should help. I would also see how much software you have running. A hard drive upgrade could also help. A lot of these companies load lots of stuff on the computers. The first thing I do when I purchase a laptop is wipe the hard drive and install from scratch so I can put only what I want on it.

Yup thats what my friend and i did. The laptop came with windows vista and after a while we installed windows 7.

well hello
Flickr (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 07, 2012 20:06 |  #8

treck_dialect wrote in post #13845175 (external link)
Yup thats what my friend and i did. The laptop came with windows vista and after a while we installed windows 7.

My Mac Air with a 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB and 64GB "SSD" is very snappy running PS CS5. I don't know that I'd use it for doing HDRs, but I think you might be surprised what a 100 or so bucks can do to extend the life of your laptop.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2012 20:10 |  #9

I notice this as well in LR. Mostly after 30 or so pictures I have to shut down LR and restart. Just must be a resource hog.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 07, 2012 22:03 |  #10

Chet wrote in post #13845486 (external link)
I notice this as well in LR. Mostly after 30 or so pictures I have to shut down LR and restart. Just must be a resource hog.

I've never noticed that any Adobe software product is good about freeing unused memory. ;)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2012 22:05 |  #11

Hen3Ry wrote in post #13846232 (external link)
I've never noticed that any Adobe software product is good about freeing unused memory. ;)

Yup. They are usually using resources that you weren't aware of as well.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 08, 2012 09:27 |  #12

Hen3Ry wrote in post #13845464 (external link)
My Mac Air with a 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB and 64GB "SSD" is very snappy running PS CS5. I don't know that I'd use it for doing HDRs, but I think you might be surprised what a 100 or so bucks can do to extend the life of your laptop.

I dont think mine is ssd. Can i take out my hd and put in ssd? Yes, im a noob.

well hello
Flickr (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 08, 2012 09:40 |  #13

treck_dialect wrote in post #13848461 (external link)

Probably. I suspect that it's upgradeable to an SSD, but the specs I found don't say. It would be a surprise if not.

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 08, 2012 11:04 |  #14

treck_dialect wrote in post #13848461 (external link)

yes.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

treck_dialect
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 08, 2012 11:06 |  #15

Oh ok. Will decide if i should just upgrade my laptop or get a new one after i check out the prices. Thanks everyone!

well hello
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
need help. computer noob.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.