Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Nikon D800 or wait"
Switching now
12.5%
Waiting for Canon announcement
35.7%
Loyal Canon fan for life. :)
51.8%

830 voters, 830 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 28, 2012 09:49 |  #616
bannedPermanent ban

^^^
And D7000 which is supposedly a consumer body.

Wedding photography (external link)

sponsored links
ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2012 09:56 |  #617

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13982868 (external link)
^^^
And D7000 which is supposedly a consumer body.

*cough 60D no MA cough*

Nikon D800

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Feb 28, 2012 10:05 |  #618

ching wrote in post #13982909 (external link)
*cough 60D no MA cough*

:lol:

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 28, 2012 11:07 |  #619

Haha on the 60d. So true, another example of Canon just moving sideways with technology rather than forward. Thus why I just spent 10k on new Nikon gear for this year of shooting. Sick of waiting for Canon to listen to what their customers want. I love the images, but hate the ergonomics, build and compromises I have to do with all my canon bodies.

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 28, 2012 12:22 |  #620

I hear a lot of people complaining about the build quality of canon's. I guess I never really had a problem. I shoot in harsh weather, snow, rain even with the lowly 60d. I can understand that nikon has better build quality, but I've never had any issue with canon either.

So I'm truly interested in exactly what you guys dislike about the canon's build quality?

Btw, Andrew, nice lineup of new nikon gear!

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Feb 28, 2012 12:47 |  #621

Hardcore wrote in post #13983771 (external link)
I hear a lot of people complaining about the build quality of canon's. I guess I never really had a problem. I shoot in harsh weather, snow, rain even with the lowly 60d. I can understand that nikon has better build quality, but I've never had any issue with canon either.

So I'm truly interested in exactly what you guys dislike about the canon's build quality?

Honestly, I never had any beef with Canon's durability either. My only comment was that a Nikon built outside of Japan wasn't going to be worse than a Canon built inside Japan, merely because of WHERE they were constructed.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 28, 2012 12:59 |  #622

AngryCorgi wrote in post #13982555 (external link)
Exactly. This myth that if its not made in Japan then its somehow crap is just an example of prejudicial ignorance.

hilariously until Nikon and Sony showed up on the world stage everyone thought that about Japanese-made products...

Dont be Ken Rockwell about it...the stuff made in Thailand, China etc for Nikon/Canon/Sony/Apple​/etc are made to their standards and everything, The reason they're made their is actually because they can afford to keep the quality high without jacking the price through the roof like they'd have to if it was made in Japan, South Korea or the US....

What you dont want are home-grown products made in China etc for their domestic market... IE, The cheap fake iPhones and their cars and etc...or any Nokin or Cannonn cameras....Those types of things are genuinely made like **** and are garbage...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 28, 2012 19:52 |  #623

Hardcore wrote in post #13983771 (external link)

Thanks corey!!! Yea I'm excited to be using both Canon and Nikon this year, and to have my wife working along side of me. This way I don't have to pay an assistant as often.

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

meia ­ lua
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 02:06 |  #624

Shadowblade wrote in post #13977912 (external link)
I can just see a new Nikon package deal:

D800E or D800 with new-generation PC-E 16mm, 24mm, 50mm and 100mm lenses, as well as a 14-24mm f/2.8, for a straight $10k.

:lol: I wish. (though I'd keep the 50 and 100 a 45 and 85) The dual axis t/s lenses alone would be near or north of 10 grand (but then you knew that :D )

Funny thing is that as good as the D800 is (it's made me want to upgrade) it's also made me wait to look at the 5D3 - for every Canon shooter that is tied because of the 17 and 24, there's a Nikon shooter going "grumble grumble, why didn't Nikon have a shorter registration distance than Canon" because of those same lenses.

Of course, if Schneider ever make a 17, it becomes moot (I think theirs are the best t/s lenses).

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 29, 2012 02:20 |  #625

meia lua wrote in post #13988542 (external link)
:lol: I wish. (though I'd keep the 50 and 100 a 45 and 85) The dual axis t/s lenses alone would be near or north of 10 grand (but then you knew that :D )

Funny thing is that as good as the D800 is (it's made me want to upgrade) it's also made me wait to look at the 5D3 - for every Canon shooter that is tied because of the 17 and 24, there's a Nikon shooter going "grumble grumble, why didn't Nikon have a shorter registration distance than Canon" because of those same lenses.

Of course, if Schneider ever make a 17, it becomes moot (I think theirs are the best t/s lenses).

Schneider only has 28mm, 50mm and 90mm available in Canon and Nikon mounts; the 50mm and 90mm versions have 12mm shifts in all directions, but the 28mm only has 11mm shifts.

Also, I mostly use tilt-shift lenses to make huge panoramas, using a lens collar like this for perspective control: http://hartblei.de/en/​canon-tse-collar.htm (external link)

This collar only exists for the TS-E 17 and TS-E 24 at present...

meia ­ lua
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 04:39 |  #626

Shadowblade wrote in post #13988571 (external link)
Schneider only has 28mm, 50mm and 90mm available in Canon and Nikon mounts; the 50mm and 90mm versions have 12mm shifts in all directions, but the 28mm only has 11mm shifts.

Also, I mostly use tilt-shift lenses to make huge panoramas, using a lens collar like this for perspective control: http://hartblei.de/en/​canon-tse-collar.htm (external link)

Funny you should bring the hartblei up - that's one of the things that demonstrates the thought that Schneider put into their lenses (and I hope Nikon and Canon pay attention to what they've achieved) - the Schneider 50mm and 90mm Super Angulons have tripod mounts on the lens, so you inherently have parallax free shift (I'd almost put money on the mount point additionally being beneath the nodal point as well!). Combine that with the ring-adjusted tilt and shift and lack of need for locking knobs, they're simply the best designed t/s lenses. To top it off, their mount is user adjustable so you're not tied to a system (they will supply user interchangeable EOS/F/alpha mounts).

The only 2 downsides to them is that 1) they make the Canon and Nikon T/S lenses look like pancakes by comparison though even that's understandable as they have a much larger image circle and 2) no electronic aperture so handheld operation is more clumsy than I'd like - not a problem for landscapes, but for other stuff it is.

Usability, not IQ is the distinguishing factor between these lenses IMO. The modern SA/TS-E/PC-E designs are all optically fantastic. I just hope either Nikon or Canon updates their lenses to match the Schneiders and does it for 16/24/45/90 (precise numbers can vary, but around those lengths). The first one that did it properly would have my cash for life, because the rest of the lineup that I'm likely to use is already a solved problem in both systems (24, 35, and 50 primes, 100ish macro, 70-200, 300).

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 29, 2012 05:04 |  #627

meia lua wrote in post #13988844 (external link)
Funny you should bring the hartblei up - that's one of the things that demonstrates the thought that Schneider put into their lenses (and I hope Nikon and Canon pay attention to what they've achieved) - the Schneider 50mm and 90mm Super Angulons have tripod mounts on the lens, so you inherently have parallax free shift (I'd almost put money on the mount point additionally being beneath the nodal point as well!). Combine that with the ring-adjusted tilt and shift and lack of need for locking knobs, they're simply the best designed t/s lenses. To top it off, their mount is user adjustable so you're not tied to a system (they will supply user interchangeable EOS/F/alpha mounts).

The only 2 downsides to them is that 1) they make the Canon and Nikon T/S lenses look like pancakes by comparison though even that's understandable as they have a much larger image circle and 2) no electronic aperture so handheld operation is more clumsy than I'd like - not a problem for landscapes, but for other stuff it is.

Usability, not IQ is the distinguishing factor between these lenses IMO. The modern SA/TS-E/PC-E designs are all optically fantastic. I just hope either Nikon or Canon updates their lenses to match the Schneiders and does it for 16/24/45/90 (precise numbers can vary, but around those lengths). The first one that did it properly would have my cash for life, because the rest of the lineup that I'm likely to use is already a solved problem in both systems (24, 35, and 50 primes, 100ish macro, 70-200, 300).

Actually they don't have larger image circles - the Schneiders have 67mm circles just like the TS-E 17L and TS-E 24L.

I never realised they had tripod collars, though - might look into the 50mm and 90mm then, to complement the TS-E 17L and 24L. Hopefully they bring out a 24mm version, at least, with 12mm of shift (11mm vs 12mm costs you a fair bit of width).

meia ­ lua
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 05:26 |  #628

Shadowblade wrote in post #13988880 (external link)
Actually they don't have larger image circles - the Schneiders have 67mm circles just like the TS-E 17L and TS-E 24L.

I never realised they had tripod collars, though - might look into the 50mm and 90mm then, to complement the TS-E 17L and 24L. Hopefully they bring out a 24mm version, at least, with 12mm of shift (11mm vs 12mm costs you a fair bit of width).

Ah my mistake - it has a larger image circle than the 45 and 90, and I think the Nikon 24 (that vignettes badly on diagonal shifts where the Schneider doesn't). Agreed on the 24 (and hopefully a 16), though I'm hoping Nikon/Canon do it first with the other improvements just for the aperture control.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 29, 2012 09:56 |  #629

If Schneider brought out 16, 24, 50 and 90, plus 1.4x and 2x TCs, I'd buy a set straight away (even if it would cost $15k). After all, it'd let me free myself from the Canon vs Nikon body struggle, letting me choose whichever body is best at the time, at least for shooting ultra-high-resolution landscapes. Any idea if Canon TCs work on the Schneiders?

Turning
720 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 29, 2012 10:14 |  #630

Shadowblade wrote in post #13988571 (external link)

What are the advantages of the lens collar for stitching shifted panos? To shift more axis than just left right or up down? In looking at the pics, I can't tell how the mount grabs the ts-e, unless it is only allowing left right shift.

Currently for two shot panos (or three counting a middle shot sometimes) I just use marks to slide the camera L bracket to the opposite direction of the shift to keep the lens from moving.

For a while I was using a more complicated solution, but find simple marks on the clamp on my cube (RRS L bracket already has marks) is quick and simple (no extra gear) and probably within third of a mm.

But I may be missing some advantage of the lens collar.

sponsored links

279,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.