Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Nikon D800 or wait"
Switching now
12.5%
Waiting for Canon announcement
35.7%
Loyal Canon fan for life. :)
51.8%

830 voters, 830 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 29, 2012 10:31 |  #631

Turning wrote in post #13990062 (external link)
What are the advantages of the lens collar for stitching shifted panos? To shift more axis than just left right or up down? In looking at the pics, I can't tell how the mount grabs the ts-e, unless it is only allowing left right shift.

Currently for two shot panos (or three counting a middle shot sometimes) I just use marks to slide the camera L bracket to the opposite direction of the shift to keep the lens from moving.

It's just a more precise way to keep the lens from moving.

sponsored links
Turning
720 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 29, 2012 10:55 |  #632

Shadowblade wrote in post #13990194 (external link)
It's just a more precise way to keep the lens from moving.

Your work is fantastic, so it obviously works well for you, and it certainly is a more elegant solution. And I am a big believer in using whatever equipment works best for a person. I follow that philosophy pretty seriously with my main work (which is not photography).

Since I only shift once left and right and generally one mm less than max (i.e. the same shift each time), with my crude efforts I don't think my camera body shifting is my limitation. I feel I am able to reposition the body accurately enough for my level of photography in less than 5 seconds.

And I am saving my pennies toward possibly getting my toe in the Nikon camp for the first time with the d800e and a couple lenses.

It would take a pretty strong Canon rumor (>22 mp, dual cards, weather sealing, good AF) to stop me unless reports on the d800 are disappointing.

If I don't fork into Nikon, then I will get the ts-e 17mm to go along with my ts-e 24mm ii and my ts-e90mm both of which I really like.

meia ­ lua
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 13:27 |  #633

Shadowblade wrote in post #13989939 (external link)
If Schneider brought out 16, 24, 50 and 90, plus 1.4x and 2x TCs, I'd buy a set straight away (even if it would cost $15k). After all, it'd let me free myself from the Canon vs Nikon body struggle, letting me choose whichever body is best at the time, at least for shooting ultra-high-resolution landscapes. Any idea if Canon TCs work on the Schneiders?

I'd be right behind you (though a little slower :P )
No idea whether the TCs would work or not

(I don't know how the Canon TCs interact with lenses to determine fit. Nikon TCs don't work with the PC-Es sadly. If the only thing the TC uses to determine fit is where the rear element is, I don't see why they wouldn't fit, but if it's like Nikon's where the rear mount is different for TC compatible lenses then maybe it won't.)

meia ­ lua
26 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 13:32 |  #634

Turning wrote in post #13990062 (external link)
What are the advantages of the lens collar for stitching shifted panos? To shift more axis than just left right or up down? In looking at the pics, I can't tell how the mount grabs the ts-e, unless it is only allowing left right shift.

Currently for two shot panos (or three counting a middle shot sometimes) I just use marks to slide the camera L bracket to the opposite direction of the shift to keep the lens from moving.

For a while I was using a more complicated solution, but find simple marks on the clamp on my cube (RRS L bracket already has marks) is quick and simple (no extra gear) and probably within third of a mm.

But I may be missing some advantage of the lens collar.

The lens collar doesn't give you new capability over a bracket set up. It does make that capability easier and faster to use, though.

aboss3
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 29, 2012 13:42 |  #635
bannedPermanent ban

5DIII in just a few days, guys!

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewear (external link)

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 29, 2012 14:42 |  #636

aboss3 wrote in post #13991390 (external link)
5DIII in just a few days, guys!

I thought the announcement was yesterday... Why must Canon tease me so hard?

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

rjx
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 29, 2012 16:07 |  #637

All I know is i'm looking forward to seeing results of the D800 combined with Zeiss glass. Preferably the 18mm & 21mm Distagon's and the Makro-Planar lenses.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 29, 2012 17:45 |  #638

rjx wrote in post #13992390 (external link)
All I know is i'm looking forward to seeing results of the D800 combined with Zeiss glass. Preferably the 18mm & 21mm Distagon's and the Makro-Planar lenses.

I'm sure it will be amazing. Heck even on my 5dc the zeiss 21mm is amazing so I don't think adding another 24 megapixels is going to hurt.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

Downs ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 01, 2012 11:15 |  #639

5d mark III specs are sick Close thread!

| 5D mark III | 5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L |Canon 24-105L | Canon 70-200L 2.8L IS II | Sigma 35 1.4 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 1.4 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Gear
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 01, 2012 11:46 |  #640

It so funny that everyone is putting the 36MP from the D800 as the 8th wonder, when just 3-4 years ago, Nikonians were saying, the D700/12mp was perfect to capture detail and 5DM2 was crap with 21MP. Make up your minds....

The 5DM3 is going to out perform, out sell the D800... Close thread :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2012 12:27 |  #641

williejr wrote in post #13997944 (external link)
It so funny that everyone is putting the 36MP from the D800 as the 8th wonder, when just 3-4 years ago, Nikonians were saying, the D700/12mp was perfect to capture detail and 5DM2 was crap with 21MP. Make up your minds....

The 5DM3 is going to out perform, out sell the D800... Close thread :)

Us landscapers, studio photographers and advertising/fashion photographers have been pretty consistent all the way. We've always liked the camera with more megapixels, where DR and AF capability have been equal.

Outperform? I doubt it. Outsell? Maybe, but irrelevant when you're talking about performance, rather than marketing and manufacturing capacity.

I hear they sell 10 Rebels for every 5D2...

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 01, 2012 12:47 |  #642

Shadowblade wrote in post #13998271 (external link)
Us landscapers, studio photographers and advertising/fashion photographers have been pretty consistent all the way. We've always liked the camera with more megapixels, where DR and AF capability have been equal.

Outperform? I doubt it. Outsell? Maybe, but irrelevant when you're talking about performance, rather than marketing and manufacturing capacity.

I hear they sell 10 Rebels for every 5D2...

I think you get my point. That is why many studio photographers/landscap​ers and even wedding photographers shot with the 5DM2 for the high MP, DR and resolution. The video was a bonus, the AF was slow, we know, but nobody was trying to track a high speed boat in the studio.

Nikon finally got on board with the MP race and gave notice to why the 5DM2 did so well, hence the D800 was born.

Your work is fantastic sir... Can you tell me if you shot any of those with a 12MP/D700?
I still think Canon will come out with a higher MP camera this year. Stay tuned...

MattSolomon
31 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2012 12:57 |  #643

I dont get why everyone is impressed by the 5D3. I shoot Canon, and would prefer to stay with them. Yet I was hoping for some awesome standout feature/upgrade from the MKII. But nothing really leaps out from those specs. 22MP, really? as the nikon has nearly double that! Also only 6fps. I admit we have to wait for pics from both canon and nikon before we can judge-but the MKIII really is going to have to be stupendous and vastly better than the Nikon to justify buying it. I dont think that the chances of this occuring is very good though. Considering how many years Canon have had to develop this camera- I really think that they have messed this one up-hope I'm wrong though.
I am just hoping these specs are wrong (or Canon have leaked it to mislead from the real specs) and they really have something stunning prepared to slap Nikon in the face!

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 01, 2012 13:00 |  #644
bannedPermanent ban

williejr wrote in post #13998422 (external link)
I think you get my point. That is why many studio photographers/landscap​ers and even wedding photographers shot with the 5DM2 for the high MP, DR and resolution. The video was a bonus, the AF was slow, we know, but nobody was trying to track a high speed boat in the studio.

Nikon finally got on board with the MP race and gave notice to why the 5DM2 did so well, hence the D800 was born.

Your work is fantastic sir... Can you tell me if you shot any of those with a 12MP/D700?
I still think Canon will come out with a higher MP camera this year. Stay tuned...

I think it was just for the high Mp as DR is far worse, tbh I think the D700 is clearly better for wedding work overall if you don't need the 30% resolution increase.

Wedding photography (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2012 13:04 |  #645

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13998508 (external link)
I think it was just for the high Mp as DR is far worse, tbh I think the D700 is clearly better for wedding work overall if you don't need the 30% resolution increase.

The DR is limited by pattern noise in the shadows.

But this issue wasn't realised until quite a while after the camera was released. By then, a lot of us had already bought into the system.

sponsored links

279,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.