Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Would you switch to Nikon if 5DMK3 is a FUD?"
Yes
20.6%
No
79.4%

515 voters, 515 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you switch to Nikon if 5dmk3 is a DUD?

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2012 14:18 |  #46

Poll: Would you switch to Nikon if 5DMK3 is a FUD?

No thanks, I will stick with my 7D's!

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #13849043 (external link)
I've often wonder how we managed to take all these incredible pictures over the years given the fact we don't have the latest and greatest technolgical crutch to lean on.

I do not understand this obsession over gear, well I did not until recently.

There are "Gear Freaks" and there are "Photographers".

Photographers focus on image creation, Gear Freaks focus on gear specs.

Hell, for fun I still shoot with an old Yashica Mat 124G !

That Yashica 124G is probably the best deal I ever got. I was working for an antique dealer, shooting product for a catalog when a customer walked into his shop trying to sell the 124G, the dealer did not want the camera but he asked me to take a look at it anyway. Seemed like it functioned well, but the dealer told the customer he did not want to buy it. I asked the antique dealer if it was OK for me to buy it ( after all it was his store I was doing business in. )

I asked the 124G owner what he wanted for the camera and he said $25.

SOLD !!!!!!

It was and still is in perfect condition!

sponsored links
ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2012 14:20 |  #47

I'm out here now looking to see what intrest people have in a used 5DMKII. Gathering up information and thoughts to see if selling off my Canon gear would get me close to a Nikon gear set. I was considering the switch before the D800 came out, the D700 and D3/D4 were luring me. Not saying I dislike my Canon, I love it. A 5DMKIII could keep me here.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 08, 2012 14:45 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

ejenner wrote in post #13848927 (external link)
I'll just stick with the 5DII if Canon doesn't offer what I consider to be an upgrade.

If I were shooting Nikon I'd be pissed right now.

Even if the D800 IQ was equal or better than the 5DII, I would be thinking, gee, if they can do that imagine how good an IQ I'd get with 1/2 those pixels.

Well take those 36mpix and down size to 18mpix and see how amazing things look.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 08, 2012 14:47 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

mafoo wrote in post #13848991 (external link)
It is my understanding (I might be wrong here), that Canon lenses top Nikon lenses. Yes the Nikon bodies are nice, but which system takes the best photos?

I still think it's Canon.

Wrong. It is the better photographer that takes the better images, regardless what camera system they are using.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2012 14:49 |  #50

Not a chance. There is also no way the 5D3 could be a "dud". No matter what its just the next step. If the next step isnt one I feel I need, Ill just stick with my "MORE than most people will ever need" 5D2.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 08, 2012 14:50 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

bespoke wrote in post #13849283 (external link)
d800 isn't going to make my 5d2 images any worse.

Using that logic...why did you purchase the 5d2 in the first place. Why didn't you just use your existing camera as the 5d2 would not make that cameras images any worse.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2012 14:50 |  #52

Hogloff wrote in post #13850587 (external link)
Wrong. It is the better photographer that takes the better images, regardless what camera system they are using.

If you know Moose Peterson, then you know there isn't a bigger proponent of the Nikon brand and he just laid this exact same sentiment on people through his Facebook page earlier today when some in the stream started squabbling about gear.

IAATL: It's All About The Light

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 08, 2012 14:54 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

I am expecting the 5D3 to be just as complete a system as the D800. If that is the case, I'll sell both my 5D2 and 7D and just have the one 5D3 camera. Now...if Canon serves up a loaf, then I'll rent the D800 and try it out. If the images it produces clearly show up in large prints...I'll switch in a heart beat. Gear is gear and I'll get the gear that is reasonably priced, that gives me the best possible prints. I have no love for either Canon or Nikon...they are just tools for me. No affection.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 08, 2012 14:55 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13850614 (external link)
If you know Moose Peterson, then you know there isn't a bigger proponent of the Nikon brand and he just laid this exact same sentiment on people through his Facebook page earlier today when some in the stream started squabbling about gear.

IAATL: It's All About The Light

IAATL plus the dedication of the photographer to sit outside in -25C weather waiting for this light that most often does not appear.

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,065 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 08, 2012 15:07 |  #55

If the 5D3 isn't all I want I'm targetting the 1Dx anyway. If the 5D3 rocks then I'll get that and a bit more glass.

Win-win.

I don't see any reason to ditch my investment to switch brands at this point because I don't see Canon falling that far behind, if they do at all.

And the Canon glass lineup still blows Nikon out of the water. :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

LudwigVB
408 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 08, 2012 15:47 |  #56

noisejammer wrote in post #13847107 (external link)
I'm locked in by too much glass.... and after the OM debacle I said I'd never do it again :(

What OM cebacle?

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 08, 2012 15:56 |  #57

Hogloff wrote in post #13850587 (external link)

Sorry, but that's such a tired argument.

Why when talking about quality of tools, do people keep suggesting skills means anything?

Photographers skills are meaningless in this discussion, because tool A and tool B will be used by the same photographer.

If you're suggesting the same world class photographer can take as good or better picture with a disposable camera, as they can with top of the line equipment, I will use a word once used to me...

Wrong.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

kmtyb
261 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2012 16:09 as a reply to  @ mafoo's post |  #58

I was considering pre-ordering nikon 800 + few lens just for the heck of it but pushed the other button for 8 night 9 day vacation package to Hawaii with my family.....

Scoro
86 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2012 16:12 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

Already pre-ordered the D800. Ill use both systems.

Disregard Photographs, Acquire Gear
MISC Brah

jonneymendoza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 08, 2012 16:24 |  #60

mafoo wrote in post #13851135 (external link)
Sorry, but that's such a tired argument.

Why when talking about quality of tools, do people keep suggesting skills means anything?

Photographers skills are meaningless in this discussion, because tool A and tool B will be used by the same photographer.

If you're suggesting the same world class photographer can take as good or better picture with a disposable camera, as they can with top of the line equipment, I will use a word once used to me...

Wrong.

well said

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

31,826 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you switch to Nikon if 5dmk3 is a DUD?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.