Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Nov 2005 (Sunday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monitor Calibration - ColorPlus

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Nov 20, 2005 17:59 |  #1

Does anyone use the (relatively) low cost ColorPlus monitor calibration system? Have you found it to be good? Any drawbacks? What about alternatives?

Thanks
Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

sponsored links
BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 21, 2005 01:34 |  #2

I just borrowed one a couple of days ago and calibrated my Samsung 910T LCD. It was really easy to do. The results are much better than the stock profile.

Better = pretty good, but not perfect. My understanding is that this is probably a function of the LCD, so I probably won't shell out for a "good" colorimeter.

(Ohhh, to have an Eizo...)

Anyway, I printed a GretagMacbeth Colorchecker from drycreekphoto.com using one of their profiles and keep it next to the monitor to remind me where the descrepencies are. It works.

I do this for fun. If I did it for $$, I'd need better visualization.

Oh, and it's PC only, no Mac.

If you can spend a little more, check out the Monaco OPTIX XR for $219. A lot of people here seem to like it. I was going to buy it before I found the ColorPlus to borrow. See http://www.shootsmarte​r.com/infocenter/wc026​a.htm (external link) for a review (free registration required).

Good luck!

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Nov 22, 2005 16:38 |  #3

The COlorPlus is £69 in the UK, whereas the Monaco Optix XR is £169. I'd really like a few more comments before parting with the money!

Thanks
Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 22, 2005 16:43 |  #4

The original Colorplus Spyder got a pretty bad review in the smartshooter review cited above. Most people that I have heard from are pleased with the newer Spyder 2 model. They are still selling the original model, so I would check to be sure it is the Spyder 2 version you get if you decide on Colorplus.

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 22, 2005 17:13 as a reply to  @ ScottE's post |  #5

As far as I could tell, the one I borrowed was the original model - no reference to "Spyder 2". The software copyright on the box said 1994.

Puttick: How far off is the monitor now, and how good do you need it to be?

For the money, I can remind myself that mid-yellows will have a little more orange and bright greens will be a little duller (in my specific case). The ColorPlus got my LCD prettly close. It's good enough for me and was WELL worth doing. If I was shooting cosmetics for a magazine ad, I'd need it to be better.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

Gerdav43
310 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Nov 22, 2005 20:51 as a reply to  @ ScottE's post |  #6

I recently purchased the Spyder 2 pro that came with Adobe Elements 3.0. I found the results to be significant and positive on my 21" IBM P260 CRT monitor. I cannot comment on LCD calibration nor any type of flat panel. However, the color is consistent and drastically improved my results. It can be a little disturbing at first because of the severe difference. But now I would not live without a calibration device. It is much warmer and nicer to look at. I have improved consistency in my colors too.
I read the smartshooter review. It appears to be a little dated as far as the Spyder is concerned. They seem to have written it off on their first experience. I believe they may have made significant improvements at this point. I'm sure the more expensive calibration devices are better. You ultimately get what you pay for. You want the best, pay the most. You want something close, pay a little.

Canon 60D
Canon 70-200 F4 L + Sigma 1.4 T-con
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon Speedlite 580EX/Canon Speedlite 420EX

puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Nov 23, 2005 13:24 |  #7

Thanks, I will check out whether I am looking at the Spyder or Spyder 2. My monitor does not seem far out compared to prints but I am aware of some differences in blues.

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

thebrewer
786 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 23, 2005 15:37 as a reply to  @ puttick's post |  #8

In the States there is a $50 rebate on the Spyder 2 Plus till Dec 31. It does printer profiles with your scanner. With the rebate it is close to the Spyder 2 price. Perhaps there is a similar promo over your way. I am waiting on my Canon rebates for the $ to order mine. Spyder 2 Review (external link)

Rich

puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Nov 24, 2005 13:24 |  #9

ColorPlus is still "Spyder" at £69. Spyder 2 is £139, Spyder 2 "Plus" (same, but includes Elements 3) is £189, Spyder 2 Pro (different software) £209, Monaco Optix XR £169.

These are the best discounted prices available. Seems like rip-off Britain, again. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay this sort of price. £100 (about US$175) would be my psychological limit.

Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

Barb42
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 24, 2005 13:35 |  #10

I have used ColorPlus and am pleased with it. My understanding is that the real 'difference' is with the number of devices that can be calibrated to work together. I prefer not to throw money at every problem since I am not a pro - more of a part-time artist actually, so I don't need the most expensive product to make sure several monitors look the same. I do have a laptop but work mostly with PC desktop with a 19" LCD monitor. I calibrate both with ColorPlus.

http://www.barbsmithph​otography.com (external link)

puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 10, 2005 08:46 |  #11

bump

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

MikeTrill
198 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 19, 2005 08:58 |  #12

Nigel,

Did you get any further with this? Did you work out the best place to buy?

Mike

Enthusiast! Please feel free to give Suggestions or Criticism (Constructive). I'm here because I want to learn! :lol:

AWPhotography
79 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 09, 2006 20:04 |  #13

These guys seem to be reasonably priced.

http://shop.colourconf​idence.com/ (external link)

Hope this helps someone Andy

DavidW
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 13, 2006 11:39 |  #14

I'm using OPTIX XR Pro - not cheap in the UK, but worth it, I feel. You'll get nearly as good results with the non-Pro version, though there's no cheap way to upgrade to Pro later (to upgrade, you have to buy the Pro software standalone).

I found I was doing a lot of post-processing without being sure of the colours in the eventual output. I grew tired of this - I wanted reproducibility, and even with my poorly calibrated printers, I didn't have it. Whilst I still haven't got proper calibration on the output side of things yet, at least I know my files are going to be pretty much spot on in a device-independent colour space. I can therefore send them to others with an embedded profile, and they should see the same as I do.

If I output my files through a properly calibrated and profiled route (such as a digital lab that provides profiles, and I use those profiles to send files in the device space - digital lab kit doesn't obey embedded profiles), I should get results that match my monitor - give or take the issues of differing gamuts.

David

StealthLude
Goldmember
3,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 13, 2006 21:07 |  #15

Im going with Spyder 2 "Plus or OPTIX XR...

I think i rather fo with the Optix because of the review. I dont think it matters if your pro or a total amature. Monitor color calibration is just as important as getting the exposure right. Even if you DONT print, it just makes viewing the picture that much more plesent.

I like to tinker with photoshop, Id say that i waist more time doing "test prints" for .17 cents each at cost to check my color... Its not always the money, its the time...

I rather get it right the first time, and know what im gona see out of that printer.

Just like good lenses, flashes, paper, inks and whatever, im suprised everyone isnt calibrating.

[[Gear List]]

sponsored links

3,185 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monitor Calibration - ColorPlus
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.