Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FF Guidance Is it the right move for me

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 11, 2012 11:01 |  #31

Chugger, I also wanted to try out a FF body. I picked up a 5Dc ($800) with just over 10k shutter clicks, mine came with the grip, all boxes/docs, RRS L bracket and 4 batteries. If you want to try FF out and not break the bank, look at the 5Dc. It is capable of producing very nice photos, I find I use it a lot more than my 7D. Prices have pretty much bottomed on the 5Dc, I don't think they'll go down so if you get one and find the need/want to to move to the 5D2 you won't lose much on it, and you might get a better price on the 5D2 a few months down the road as Canon puts new bodies out the door.

sponsored links
Preeb
Goldmember
2,589 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 11, 2012 11:03 |  #32

chugger93 wrote in post #13868155 (external link)
I'm just debating on renting it for 150 bucks or just buying it, and if I don't like it, I can always resell. Renting seems like a waste on some regard

And yet you don't feel that buying it for no good reason (other than you just want it) is a waste? Your thought processes work a lot differently than mine do. If I'm considering spending $2000 and I'm not sure if it's the right thing, then spending a measly $150 to find out is cheap.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 11, 2012 12:34 |  #33

Being curious about something is not "no good reason". It's a very good reason. There's enough on here to show the different results achievable with a full-frame body and on the day I stop wanting new things just for the new experiences they give me, my wife has instructions to shoot me. I am deliriously happy with my 7D/50D kit, but if I had £1,500 spare, I would be proud owner of a 5D2 on Monday. Simple as that

Preeb
Goldmember
2,589 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 11, 2012 14:00 |  #34

JohnB57 wrote in post #13868646 (external link)
Being curious about something is not "no good reason". It's a very good reason. There's enough on here to show the different results achievable with a full-frame body and on the day I stop wanting new things just for the new experiences they give me, my wife has instructions to shoot me. I am deliriously happy with my 7D/50D kit, but if I had £1,500 spare, I would be proud owner of a 5D2 on Monday. Simple as that

He's the one who said he didn't have any real reason for wanting it, not me. For most people, curiosity isn't reason enough to spend $2000 instead of $150. :confused:

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 11, 2012 14:09 |  #35

I bought a 7D last september and then got a 5D2 in november and I'm in the fortunate position that I can afford to keep both. I use my 5D2 about 90% of the time at the moment but come summer it'll be 50/50 or more for the 7D for sports, airshows and other events. I love my 7D and wont sell it, but I love my 5D2 more.
I might be updating to the 5D3 if it keeps a similar or better sensor and ISO to the 5D2 and the AF and fps of the 7D, if not then I'm more than happy to keep what I've got now and can see me using them both for a long time to come.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 11, 2012 14:23 |  #36

Preeb wrote in post #13869078 (external link)
He's the one who said he didn't have any real reason for wanting it, not me. For most people, curiosity isn't reason enough to spend $2000 instead of $150. :confused:

I disagree. There are loads of people who spend thousands on new cameras, cars, audio, television, swimming pools, pool tables, musical instruments, ham radio gear (the last two are mine) because the curiosity of owning new kit and the new experience and pleasure it might give them are important. It would be a very sad world if we were only able to expand our experiences with things we really "needed".

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 11, 2012 14:45 |  #37

chugger93 wrote in post #13851051 (external link)
If I went FF now, would I regret it later with my kids getting into sports. That was my concern.

You said that is 2-5 years away. In 5 years more then likely you would not be shooting the 7D any more any ways. On the flip side in 5 years if you wanted a " sports camera" then you could probably pick up a used 7D for a fraction of the price you can now........just food for thought.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,589 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 11, 2012 16:55 |  #38

JohnB57 wrote in post #13869184 (external link)
I disagree. There are loads of people who spend thousands on new cameras, cars, audio, television, swimming pools, pool tables, musical instruments, ham radio gear (the last two are mine) because the curiosity of owning new kit and the new experience and pleasure it might give them are important. It would be a very sad world if we were only able to expand our experiences with things we really "needed".

Then you live in a very different world financially than most people I know. Guess you could say that my wife and I built a house in the Bahamas for no real reason since we had a perfectly good one here, but we did (that's where we are retiring to in a couple of months). Living a lifelong dream seems a somewhat better reason than curiosity though. ;)

Different strokes - :cool:

Rick

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 11, 2012 18:41 |  #39

I"m really not worried about the whole money situation. Again, I can sell my 7D and 17-55 to get the funds to get the 5d2. As much as it would pain me to get rid of the 17-55, at least I'd have the 35L and 85 to use for now.

I just have concerns like anyone else. First FF is just that...and I have to get use to the fact that my framing will be different without that crop factor. So my 35L will be really wide compared to what it is now. Ergonomics is another concern as I'm use to my 7D now and everyone says the 5d2 is more like a tank, although it looks pretty similar does it not? ugh

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 13, 2012 22:32 |  #40

Let me put it this way: if you balk at the price of renting a 5D2 for a few days, then your finances aren't yet solid enough to warrant buying the 5D2 without having specific, articulable reasons for doing so.

Right now, you're merely uncertain as to whether or not you will benefit from it. Full frame calls to you with a siren song. It does that to many. But unless you know specifically how you will benefit from it, it's just a siren song.

I'd at least wait until you can afford to rent one for a few days. That will tell you all you need to know. But realize that you'll need more than just the body -- you'll need additional lenses. The financial commitment will be considerable. The 35L and 85 are unlikely to be sufficient for your needs (you will know if they are by examining the focal lengths you tend to use with your 7D. If they are clustered around 50mm and 135mm, then the 35L and 85 might be enough. If they're spread out, or if they cluster around significantly different focal lengths than those, then you'll need additional glass for sure).

Here's the thing: shooting with your 17-55 IS on your 7D will be much like shooting a 5D2 with a 24-105 f/4L (a combination that many rave about). Yes, the 24-105 will get you slightly wider and narrower angles of view than the 17-55 on your 7D does, but not by incredibly huge amounts. The resulting depth of field will basically be the same. The noise may or may not be the same, depending on whether you're already wide open and shutter-speed limited. In high ISO conditions, you are aperture and shutter speed limited (which is why you're shooting at a higher ISO to begin with), and that will put your 7D and 17-55 IS on an equal footing with a 5D2 with the 24-105L in terms of both depth of field and noise.

This is why you really should have solid, articulable reasons for switching to full frame when your finances aren't solid enough to make it possible to switch painlessly (either by renting for long enough to determine whether it's the right course of action, or by buying the 5D2 while you retain possession of the 7D). The two are closer than you might think.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links

4,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
FF Guidance Is it the right move for me
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.