Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Laptop Advice Needed

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 08, 2012 17:48 |  #1

I used to be pretty good at specing out systems, but it seems like things have gotten more complicated since my last time :) My only real requirements are photo related - running Photoshop CS5 well, multi-layer editing, some photomerge work. I don't really do anything else with my computer.

I can't seem to determine if an i5 is enough, or if I need an i7. I'm looking at 8GB of RAM, either included or I'll upgrade right away.

Seems like a dedicated video card will be best - at least that's what I'm hearing.

And I'd like to stay at or under $800. If that's possible...

Any advice?

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 08, 2012 20:55 |  #2

Most ultrabook with Windows 7, and i5 is under $800, which is more than enough for running CS5.

Anything with dedicated video card and i7 will be over $1k this day.

Personally, I'm waiting for Windows 8 in next few months before I get any new PC.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Mahgnillig
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 08, 2012 21:36 |  #3

I just bought a refurbished ASUS U45E for $550 with 8GB RAM and an i5 processor. I replaced the hard disk with a SSD and it absolutely flies for editing. The total including an extended warranty was right around $800... that includes the SSD and the external hard drive enclosure I bought so I could use the old hard drive for storage. I doesn't have a dedicated graphics card... but I'm not sure that's important unless you're editing video.

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 08, 2012 23:20 |  #4

Since Adobe believes in creating products that use archaic coding that does not utilize modern hardware, the difference between an i5 and an i7 processor is not very different until it comes to batch processing. in that case you might see a difference due to more physical cores on the i7 (assuming you get the quad core i7) if you are looking at a i7 that is dual core i would pass and go with the i5 equivalent since you are usually only losing 1MB of cache and a few Mhz in speed.

I have a lenovo x220 with the i5 processor and 16GB of ram, a 256GB ssd as my main and a 128GB msata as my secondary scratch disk. in my opinion its a perfect machine for when i am on the go since it has the IPS screen and its built solidly and its light.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,217 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 11, 2012 13:01 |  #5

x_tan wrote in post #13852848 (external link)
Personally, I'm waiting for Windows 8 in next few months before I get any new PC.

When Windows 8 comes out, how soon does the price drop (if at all) for computers with Windows 7?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,040 views & 0 likes for this thread
Laptop Advice Needed
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.