Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! What in the world???

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 19:44 |  #1

I got a YN560 flash today. I put it in S1 mode (picture is in manual mode to keep it from flashing in a reaction to my camera when I took the picture) and set it for full power and set it off and there wasn't enough light. I started putting the ISO higher and higher until I really started wondering what in the world was going on and got out my 430EX II. I put it in manual mode and set it for full power, too, trying to match how I had set up the YN560, because the YN560 should have more power, then fired it with basic flash settings and 100 ISO (f/4 aperture 1/250 sec) and the resulting image was over-exposed (I don't have a flash meter yet and was doing the "feeling my way" kind of approach for now). The 430EX II ended up with exposures where I wanted them to be at 1/8 power, same distance settings.

The YN560's pictures came out very dark and in the "best" ones you could almost make out my face (I was using a remote control because my family is tired of posing for me). I'm including a picture of the back panel display - it was set for farthest distance and highest power, S1 instead of M... lights were lit up the same as far as the lights under the bar... Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Oh - the times it DID flash it would lock up on me, and by the third flash it was doing the overheating warning flashing red and green back and forth, but it had never flashed at anything that seemed like full power and had at least three to five seconds between flashes... :(

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

YN560 flash set to full power (external link) by Lisa J Johnson (external link), on Flickr

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links
dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2012 19:59 |  #2

Couple of questions. Are you triggering this with your popup flash?
If so what camera?
If you are using your popup and do not have a 7D or 60D that you can put the popup in manual mode, you should have the 560 in S2 mode, not S1.

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:06 |  #3

I'm using the 7D, so I had to pop up the on-camera flash to activate the remote firing. I tried both S2 and S1 with the same results. :(

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:07 |  #4

As I said, I put the 430EX II in manual instead of TTL with no changes in camera settings and ended up overexposed with same settings on my Canon flash as the YN560... is there something I'm missing on how to do the settings?

You can call me Wuzzi

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2012 20:19 |  #5

Your last statement leads me to believe that you have the wireless flash control enabled when trying to fire the 560. You cannot do this. There are way too many command flashes for the 560 to ignore, even in S2, and it will fire too early. When the flash fires early, you get dark pictures. Disable wireless control in the camera and set the popup to eTTL and the 560 to S2 or the popup to manual and the 560 to S1.

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:23 |  #6

Okay... so turn off wireless control on my body and it will flash right. So how will I run the 430 EX II with this then - as manual as well? Can I run the popup and 430EX II as ETTL and still use this one or do they all have to be manual then?

You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:32 |  #7

Okay - I set my flash control as follows: flash firing enable (because I'm guessing S2 is means optical slave?), Flash mode manual flash, flash output (from the popup) 1/16 power, because I wanted to see how much light I'm getting from the YN560, because it seems like it is not showing near enough power more than anything else, and my shots are requiring at least 4000 ISO for any kind of decent exposure with this set the way it was showing in the picture (except choosing S1 or S2).

You can call me Wuzzi

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2012 20:32 |  #8

You cannot fire you 430 with the Canon wireless control and the 560 together. There is no setting on the 560 to ignore all the command flashes. It CAN ignore the normal eTTL pre-flash when in S2 mode, but there are too many flashes when the wireless control feature is active.
Your choice is to get wireless RF based triggers like the RF 603 to fire your flashes or return the 560 and get the 565 that is compatible with the Canon wireless system.

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2012 20:35 |  #9

The settings on the 560 are...
S1 - if the flash you are triggering the 560 optical trigger with is in manual mode.
S2 - if the flash you are triggering the 560 optical trigger with is in eTTL mode.

If you have yo

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:37 |  #10

So I tried different settings and switched it to "multi" flash and it works in that mode. Now to figure out all the settings I'll need to get it to do what I want. That's tomorrow's task I guess.

You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:38 |  #11

Okay - was planning to add wireless RF triggers to the mix here shortly. I had just been led to believe I can run these all together on manual without them.

Is helpful to have hubby standing there watching the actual flash while I'm doing this! He just got home.

You can call me Wuzzi

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2012 20:39 |  #12

Well good luck.

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2012 20:43 |  #13

Sorry you have been mis-lead. There is no optical slave in the 430 and the only way to fire that is with the 7D wireless flash control enabled. The 560's optical slave cannot ignore all the flashes that the wireless puts out and it will fire but too soon. Multi is a whole different thing. It is not what you are looking for.

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:59 |  #14

Strangely, though, multi setting is the only thing that makes this thing fire at full power. I just went to look at the manual and the 7D manual really only talks about how to use multiple Canon Speedlites together, and then says for non- Canon flashes to use the sync cord. :-|

You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 08, 2012 20:59 |  #15

If it is operating in optical slave mode, why can't it be triggered by a flash from the 430EX II?

You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links

1,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! What in the world???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.