Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Feb 2012 (Friday) 16:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Confused about RAW

Amanda55
46 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 10, 2012 16:39 |  #1

I just started shooting in RAW and I love the versatility it gives me with post processing as far as exposure and other things go, but I'm still very confused with the whole thing. I tried to read multiple articles on google and I'm still confused. I hope someone here has the patience to explain some things to me.
My files on my card show up as CR2 files. I can open them with cs5 and edit them but then cs5 wants to save it as a different format, XMP. So on my card I now have a CR2 and XMP of with the same image name. I cannot open the XMP when I click on it. Do I even need this XMP file?
Another thing I was wondering about is if it is possible to edit the RAW images without editing the original image so that I can try multiple techniques on the same photos? I would like to try out different styles but as it sits now, if i change an image to B&W its stuck that way because it has edited the original image.
Any better explanation of post processing with RAW images would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell, I'm very confused. Please help! :o

Aspiring photographer
{Canon 60D} 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, 50mm 1.4, 55-250mm 4-5.6

sponsored links
Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,167 posts
Gallery: 656 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 10, 2012 16:43 |  #2

OK I might be wrong here but the way I think it works is when you edit a RAW file the original .cr2 file is not altered, instead the programme you are using to edit saves the edits you made as a supplimental file. I use lightroom and lightroom saves my edit settings and retains the original raw. Im assuming .xmp is the edits being saved by cs5.

α7R III | α9 II | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
16-35GM | 24GM | 35GM | 135GM | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Zeiss CY 35-70

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 10, 2012 16:46 |  #3

The raw data are never changed.
The edit operations you do are just stored in the xmp file.
If you delete the xmp file, you lose all the editing you have done.
So you can do several different edits and save them into different xmp files I think, without problem. But may be you'll have to rename the xmp files manually. May be someone who uses CS5 can confirm...

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2012 16:48 |  #4

xpfloyd wrote in post #13864458 (external link)
OK I might be wrong here but the way I think it works is when you edit a RAW file the original .cr2 file is not altered, instead the programme you are using to edit saves the edits you made as a supplimental file. I use lightroom and lightroom saves my edit settings and retains the original raw. Im assuming .xmp is the edits being saved by cs5.

This. The cr2 file never changes, the xmp is a sidecar file so that when you "edit" the cr2 the .xmp file remembers the settings you used so when you open the cr2 for editing again you start where you left off.

Amanda55
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 10, 2012 16:49 |  #5

Ohhh.... I see now. I understand why the XMP file is there now. When I click the CR2 file of the image it does show up in the same way I have edited the the XMP file. I did not realize that I could change the editing and save another XMP file with a new edit. I feel dumb. :o

Aspiring photographer

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 10, 2012 16:53 |  #6

Since you have CS5, I'd suggest never touching the raw short of making corrections in exposure , color and noise. Let the raw and xmp file remain and then do all the rest of your experimenting by converting to a PSD file and then use layers.

Layers allows you do do all changes you wish non-destructively.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,167 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 10, 2012 16:55 |  #7

Get yourself a copy of adobe lightroom, much better editing functionality for RAW than photoshop cs5 IMO. Photoshop still handy though for a host of other things

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 10, 2012 17:00 as a reply to  @ Amanda55's post |  #8

Now that you understand XMP files, you might find it useful to look into using the DNG format.

HERE (external link) is a video which will give you some insight.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 10, 2012 17:02 |  #9

:lol:
If confused about raw and xmp, I'm sure we really sent confusion with Light room, Bridge, Dng, Layers and whatever else has been mentioned here.

That's what's nice about photography- so much to learn...

Amanda55
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 10, 2012 17:15 |  #10

RandyMN wrote in post #13864565 (external link)
:lol:
If confused about raw and xmp, I'm sure we really sent confusion with Light room, Bridge, Dng, Layers and whatever else has been mentioned here.

That's what's nice about photography- so much to learn...

Very true! I guess I really need work with my cs5 and start experimenting.

Aspiring photographer

paddler4
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2012 17:15 |  #11

Since you have CS5, I'd suggest never touching the raw short of making corrections in exposure , color and noise. Let the raw and xmp file remain and then do all the rest of your experimenting by converting to a PSD file and then use layers.

Layers allows you do do all changes you wish non-destructively.

True, but raw edits are also non-destructive. All edits in the xmp file are non-destructive, not just exposure, color, and noise.

OP: The confusing thing about doing this in CS5 is that it is not always obvious at first when your edits are non-destructive (going into an xmp file) and when they aren't. As long as CS5 has you in the camera raw window, the edits should be nondestructive. Ditto, if you have a layer converted to a smart object. but if you just do an edit to an image in the main window, it is often destructive. That is when you should use layers, because you can always delete or turn off a layer you don't like.

I agree that rattling off other options may be more confusing than helpful. However, down the road (particularly, after version 4 comes out), you may find Lightroom worth the plunge. It has a lot of editing power (although not nearly as much as CS5), and everything in LR is always non-destructive. You can make virtual copies so that you can do side by side edits and compare them. You can create 'snapshots' of an edit (they go into the xmp file too), and then you can modify the the edits up that point or ignore them all and try a different edit. If you install CS5 as an external editor, it is as simple as a mouse click to move the image into CS5 if you need the extra features, and when you save it in CS5, the new image will appear in LR. I do easily 90% of my editing without leaving LR, using CS5 when I need something LR does not have, such as masks. curves for specific color channels, or a luminance-only curve.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Amanda55
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 10, 2012 18:12 |  #12

paddler4 wrote in post #13864621 (external link)
OP: The confusing thing about doing this in CS5 is that it is not always obvious at first when your edits are non-destructive (going into an xmp file) and when they aren't. As long as CS5 has you in the camera raw window, the edits should be nondestructive. Ditto, if you have a layer converted to a smart object. but if you just do an edit to an image in the main window, it is often destructive. That is when you should use layers, because you can always delete or turn off a layer you don't like.

I agree that rattling off other options may be more confusing than helpful. However, down the road (particularly, after version 4 comes out), you may find Lightroom worth the plunge. It has a lot of editing power (although not nearly as much as CS5), and everything in LR is always non-destructive. You can make virtual copies so that you can do side by side edits and compare them. You can create 'snapshots' of an edit (they go into the xmp file too), and then you can modify the the edits up that point or ignore them all and try a different edit. If you install CS5 as an external editor, it is as simple as a mouse click to move the image into CS5 if you need the extra features, and when you save it in CS5, the new image will appear in LR. I do easily 90% of my editing without leaving LR, using CS5 when I need something LR does not have, such as masks. curves for specific color channels, or a luminance-only curve.

Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely look into LR when the new version comes out and I get better at photography and editing in general.

Aspiring photographer

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,167 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 11, 2012 00:15 |  #13

This thread is worth a read to show what lightroom can do https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=68436​0&page=308

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 11, 2012 00:39 |  #14

Since you're starting with RAW, I think it's probably better that you start with DPP.

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

Amanda55
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 11, 2012 00:47 |  #15

What is DPP?

Aspiring photographer

sponsored links

1,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Confused about RAW
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.