Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 04:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Full Frame vs Crop: Real world differences in DOF?

gdourado07
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2012 04:10 |  #1

Hello,

How are you?
First, I know this has been covered here, and around the web multiple times.
I've read articles, posts and blogs on the topic.
I know that one of the variables that influence DOF is sensor size.
That is why compact cameras have dificulty producing bokeh and all that...
The thing I was wondering is the real world difference that it makes...

Let's imagine the following...
One person has a 7D with a 30mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.4.
A second person has a 5D with a 50mm f1.4 and a 85mm f1.4.

They are both going to do portraits.
The person with the 7D will use the 30mm for full and half bosy shots and the 50mm for head and shoulders and face shots.
The 5D shooter will do the same, but with the 50 and the 85.

They will both be going for the same composition.

Would the DOF be very different?
Would the larger sensor produce better bokeh and overall a better shot?

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 14, 2012 04:15 |  #2

"Bokeh" is a product of lens contruction and not the sensor. It is the subjective quality of the area that is oof and not the actual amount of blur.

All things being equal though, the full frame body will generate shallower depth of field.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 14, 2012 04:22 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13894551 (external link)
"Bokeh" is a product of lens contruction and not the sensor. It is the subjective quality of the area that is oof and not the actual amount of blur.

All things being equal though, the full frame body will generate shallower depth of field.

No.

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

DOF is a result of focal length, focusdistance and aperture. Sensor has less to do with that.

But the bigger sensor gives you a larger FOV, so to achieve the same framing as a smaller sensor, you'll have to either step closer (decrease focus distance) or 'zoom in' (increase focal lenght). (Often) resulting in a shallower DOF.

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickr (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 14, 2012 04:29 |  #4

muusers wrote in post #13894560 (external link)
No.

DOF is a result of focal length, focusdistance and aperture. Sensor has less to do with that.

But the bigger sensor gives you a larger FOV, so to achieve the same framing as a smaller sensor, you'll have to either step closer (decrease focus distance) or 'zoom in' (increase focal lenght). (Often) resulting in a shallower DOF.

You did not read the original post. The OP's scenario is using different focal lengths on the two different format cameras to provide the same field (angle) of view on both cameras with the two cameras used in the same location.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2012 04:32 |  #5

No.

And the OP had already covered "zooming in" by having his imaginary full frame shooter deal with framing differences by using longer focal length lenses than the crop frame shooter.

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 14, 2012 04:35 |  #6

SkipD wrote in post #13894569 (external link)
You did not read the original post. The OP's scenario is using different focal lengths on the two different format cameras to provide the same field (angle) of view on both cameras with the two cameras used in the same location.

You're right. :oops:

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickr (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 14, 2012 04:38 |  #7

The DoF will be different in the two scenarios, but that difference will be due to the difference in focal length, not to the difference in sensor size.

gdourado07
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2012 05:02 |  #8

I saw an article on another site that said the crop would require a wider aperture to achieve the same DOF.
It backed it up with some pictures:

http://www.seriouscomp​acts.com …ame-vs-crop-5035-full.jpg (external link)

http://www.seriouscomp​acts.com …ame-vs-crop-13585blur.jpg (external link)

Full article:
http://www.seriouscomp​acts.com …s-full-frame-vs-crop-162/ (external link)

Does this mean that:

Shoting a subject from 2 meters with a background 5 meters away from the subject.

Using a 7D with 30mm at 1.4 will render the background with less blur than a 5D with 50mm at 1.4?

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

melanopsin
278 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 14, 2012 05:03 as a reply to  @ xarqi's post |  #9

the explanation may not be easy to understand. Here is Zeiss explanation (pdf):

http://www.zeiss.com …/$File/CLN35_Bo​keh_en.pdf (external link)

Note the chart showing to get the same dof from smaller sensors requires lens with faster f/#.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 14, 2012 05:22 as a reply to  @ melanopsin's post |  #10

I'm getting headache by reading all technical stuff here :cool:

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 14, 2012 05:22 |  #11

When you use the two cameras to take the same picture (using a longer focal length on the larger format to achieve the same perspective and the same field of view) then the larger format will deliver less depth of field at any given aperture.

The difference is 1 and 1/3 stops. So a shot at f/1.4 on the 1.6X sensor could be replicated in all ways by a 1.6X longer focal length and an aperture of f/2.2 on a FF sensor.

I changed from having a 1.6X sensor body to a FF body several years ago, and one of the things I noticed when I made the change was that I had to learn to shoot everything stopped down just a bit more from what I had become used to.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

gdourado07
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2012 05:36 |  #12

So, for example...

85mm on crop is equivalent to 135mm on FF, kind of.
A canon EF135 can go to F2, but an 85 can go to 1.8, 1.4 or 1.2, depending on models.
So, if I shoot the 135 on the 5d at F2, I can then shoot the 85 at 1.4 on the 7d and get the same DOF, right?
Since I cannot open the aperture below 2.0 on the FF, on that particular scenario, there is no difference, right?

But if I shoot the 50mm on the 5D at 1.4, I would have to shoot the 30mm on the 7d at f0.95 to get the same DOF?
Since there is no f0.95 or f1.0 30mm lens for crop, the full frame can get more DOF, correct?

That also applies to zooms, we have a 24-70 and a 17-55, both 2.8 zooms, and pretty equivalent focal lenghts if the 24-70 is used on FF and the 17-55 on a crop.
Since they both open to f2.8, the 24-70 on FF will always produce less DOF, right?

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 14, 2012 07:05 |  #13

Yes. Assuming maximum aperture.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

NicuB
82 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 14, 2012 07:15 |  #14

No.

Try changing the camera on that link to a FF camera and see if the DOF changes. ;)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 14, 2012 07:31 |  #15

When I had a 40D and a 7D, for a short time, I never had to think about having too little depth of field with my lenses. With the 5D/5DII, having enough DOF became something I had to think about when shooting head or head and shoulder shots, even 1/2 body.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

14,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Full Frame vs Crop: Real world differences in DOF?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.