Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 17 Feb 2012 (Friday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T-Ring and T-Adaptor - just need a telescope

Trugga
648 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 17, 2012 14:03 |  #1

The post man came today and delivered a couple of new toys:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …cket/canon/IMG_​6896-1.jpg (external link)

All I need now is for brother-in-law to return from a weeks holiday and for some clear skies, then we can hook my 550d upto his 8" Celestron telescope.

I don't think either of us are absolutely sure about what we will be doing, but it should be fun playing with the motorised mount and the plug in finder.

We'll have a session in the back garden first (I don't think he's ever done a polar alignment) and when we think we're getting some reasonable results, will head out for a darker sky area.

Looking at the short range weather forecast, I don't expect to be posting images in the next dew days, but be sure I will when this overcast weather eases.

Lawrence

sponsored links
legoman_iac
292 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 18, 2012 02:00 |  #2

Hey Trugga, congrats on the gear!! However, its normal for overcast skies when astronomy gear arrives, somehow the weather tracks the postal service ... hahaha. Have you done any planing yet, do you know what's up? There's plenty of software about to help with where to look, etc. Polar alignment is something that takes practice and practice, so don't be disheartened if you get trailing. Perhaps try fir ther planets and moon first? Can't wait to see what you get!

2x 50d: with 17-85mm f4-5.6, 100mm Macro USM, 50mm f1.8, 2x Sigma 30mm f1.4, 55-250mm (kit lens), Canon 100-400mm L, Tamron 200-400mm f5.6, Samyang 8mm. 480mm refactor with HEQ5. Home made beamsplitter stereo rig.

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 18, 2012 07:13 as a reply to  @ legoman_iac's post |  #3

Cheers Legoman (Duplo, classic or Tecknic ? :D )

Yep, I've "looked up" before... got a few shots of the moon with the Tamron 70-300 and the Canon 100-400 (Canon is much better), also done some wide angle but not yet captured the Milky Way.

Played with stacking (Orion nebula) and star trails, although nothing yet that warrents hanging on my wall, although work collegues were impressed with an image of Neptune and a couple of it's moons.

Lawrence
(my preference is Tecknic ;))

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 19, 2012 01:06 |  #4

Neptune's Moons? Could it have been Jupiter? They are easy to see. Saturn's are pretty difficult. Not to mention Neptune is on the other side of the sun now.

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2012 01:50 |  #5

Toxic Coolaid wrote in post #13922963 (external link)
Neptune's Moons? Could it have been Jupiter? ...

Oops, my mistake.

Lawrence

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 19, 2012 12:40 |  #6

try out Stellarium. It's free and pretty easy to use. You need to set your location. It will show your sky's view, you can move forward or backward to see the sky at a different time. Adjust the # of star, nebula names on the screen. Pretty neat program.

http://www.stellarium.​org/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
T-Ring and T-Adaptor - just need a telescope
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.