Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Odd Tripod Question

Cotmweasel
995 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 19, 2012 18:51 |  #1

I tried searching to see if this had already been asked, but didn't see anything. so onto the question...

I do a lot of lightning photos, and now that I broke my junk tripod I'm looking to get a decent one. my question is in regards to carbon fiber, does it conduct electricity as much as aluminum? I mean, I'm generally standing in a field with a tripod so if I could get something less likely to attract lightning I'm all for it (as is my girlfriend :lol:).

Thanks in advance!

-Dave
Equipment List: 5DS-R, 100mm IS L macro, 50mm Carl Zeiss ZE.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cotmweasel/ (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 19, 2012 19:04 |  #2

Taking my Fluke multimeter out and testing for continuity along various points of my Gitzo GT3541LS I can confirm that the individual legs sections do indeed conduct electricity, but that conductivity is broken once a lock collar is reached. So basically, depending on the rubber mount points of a tripod and the material of the locking collars, sections of a CF tripod will conduct.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 19, 2012 22:51 |  #3

Cotmweasel wrote in post #13926346 (external link)
...does it conduct electricity as much as aluminum? I mean, I'm generally standing in a field...

More importantly, will it conduct electricity more than you do? ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2012 13:48 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #13927443 (external link)
More importantly, will it conduct electricity more than you do? ;)

Ha ha, well I couldnt tell you the internal resistance of the human body innards, but I can tell you 1 foot of Gitzo CF on the exterior has a resistance of about 40 ohms so says the Fluke which is fairly low.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

mosport72
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 20, 2012 14:10 |  #5

Dave,

sounds like you want one made of wood. But then you are still a good conductor of electricity so you might as well go with CF.

John

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,882 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 20, 2012 14:18 |  #6

Better far for lightning to choose a path with lesser resistance, than thru your body!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 20, 2012 14:52 |  #7

I'd be ok shooting far off lightning in an open field. I wouldn't be ok under any circumstances in an open field with nearby lightning.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2012 14:54 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #13930290 (external link)
Better far for lightning to choose a path with lesser resistance, than thru your body!

Very true, but in this case seeing as how the CF tripod legs are only conductive through the leg sections and not through the locking collars I think youd still be the only conductor.

legoman_iac
308 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 20, 2012 15:05 |  #9

Why not use your old junk aluminium tripod as a conductor/lightning magnet and keep yourself and camera gear out of harms way? I love my camera, but would far rather it get hit by lightning than me!!!

2x 50d: with 17-85mm f4-5.6, 100mm Macro USM, 50mm f1.8, 2x Sigma 30mm f1.4, 55-250mm (kit lens), Canon 100-400mm L, Tamron 200-400mm f5.6, Samyang 8mm. 480mm refactor with HEQ5. Home made beamsplitter stereo rig.

Deerhunter229
56 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 20, 2012 15:51 |  #10

I think it is just a mute point. We are talking lightning here. Not jump starting your car or wiring a light switch. Lightning goes where it finds a path. Conductivity has little to do with it. Any form of static electricity has the possibility to attract it. Best not be standing next to a tripod of aluminum or CF when it strikes it. Have seen a wooden pole in a field split down the middle by lightning. It didn't conduct electricity! I will get my lightning pics from indoors.

T3i and 18-55 kit lens , 100-400L 4.5/5.6 IS, 120-300mm f2.8 OS Sport,28-70 f2.8 Mark i, 7D, 35mm f2, 270EX, 600EX-RT,YN-E3-RT, 5D Mark iii,Canon 24-70 f2.8 Mark i

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Feb 20, 2012 15:58 |  #11

ˆˆˆPansy ˆˆˆ

LOL ;-)a

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 20, 2012 17:45 |  #12

Dave,

As an avid storm chaser for the last 4 years, I'll throw in my two cents.

CF definitely conducts far less than aluminum. That's cool that Ben broke out his multimeter and tested the resistance. (Thanks Ben!) So on a micro scale level, a CF will keep you safer to some degree. However, I say on a micro scale, because there's a lot more at play than just a 60-inch tripod when lightening decides to strike.

There are some things you can do to help protect yourself when shooting lightening in the field.

When shooting lightening when it's really close (a couple of miles), I do one of two things. I either set-up my tripod just outside of my car and use a lightening trigger or I'll use a bean bag on my half rolled down window. The key here is that I'm in my car, which provides a large degree of safety. As long as your not touching the metal parts within your car, you will be very safe if lightening hits your car. Yes, there's a very remote chance that a lightening bolt could come straight through the roof, but it's very rare for something like that to happen.

When the lightening is more distant (at least 5 miles away), I will often stand out in the field with my equipment. However, if at all possible, I will make sure that I'm lower than other objects nearby. (A slight hill, a power line pole, etc. However, keep in mind that this does not guarantee your safety. Lightening can strike up to 10-15 miles away from a supercell thunderstorm (they're called bolts from the blue), so distance does not really assure your safety.

Lightening triggers are wonderful devices because they fire your shutter when a flash occurs. Because lightening is so quick, the success rate for catching the bolt when it is really bright is nowhere near perfect...perhaps around 30-40% of the time. Another benefit is that you can try lightening photography during the day, which is nearly impossible without a lightening trigger. And perhaps most importantly, it does the work for you so you can remain sheltered in your car.

Aside from all of this, if I were you, I'd get a CF tripod. Yes, they are safer (to a degree), but CF tripods are just plain superior to aluminum tripods in every way.

You should let us help you spend your money...we can make some great recommendations when it comes to RRS and Gitzo tripods! :lol:

Bryan

My Gear List

stevewf1
822 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 21, 2012 04:44 |  #13

Deerhunter229 wrote in post #13930847 (external link)
I think it is just a mute point. We are talking lightning here. Not jump starting your car or wiring a light switch. Lightning goes where it finds a path. Conductivity has little to do with it. Any form of static electricity has the possibility to attract it. Best not be standing next to a tripod of aluminum or CF when it strikes it. Have seen a wooden pole in a field split down the middle by lightning. It didn't conduct electricity! I will get my lightning pics from indoors.

bw!

Steve

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 21, 2012 05:44 |  #14

Cotmweasel wrote in post #13926346 (external link)
I tried searching to see if this had already been asked, but didn't see anything. so onto the question...

I do a lot of lightning photos, and now that I broke my junk tripod I'm looking to get a decent one. my question is in regards to carbon fiber, does it conduct electricity as much as aluminum? I mean, I'm generally standing in a field with a tripod so if I could get something less likely to attract lightning I'm all for it (as is my girlfriend :lol:).

Thanks in advance!

No tripod will "attract" lightning any more than your body will. The material used in your tripod will make absolutely no difference at all relative to protecting your life in a lightning storm.

Someone mentioned that the clamps in a certain tripod insulated one leg section from another. That may be true for relatively low voltage situations, but with the millions of volts in lightning, the insulated gap is like it's not even there. If lightning can jump the gap between a cloud and ground, it certainly can jump an inch or two across an insulator.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

ettsn
293 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 07:05 |  #15

SkipD wrote in post #13934699 (external link)
If lightning can jump the gap between a cloud and ground, it certainly can jump an inch or two across an insulator.

+3,000,000

(volts)

:lol:

sponsored links

3,640 views & 0 likes for this thread
Odd Tripod Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.