Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ezybox Speed-Lite vs Honl traveller 8?

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 21, 2012 09:48 |  #1

I'm pretty new to flash photography and I'm looking for a compact/portable light diffuser/modifier for my 430 and was trying to decide between the Ezybox Speed-Lite and Honl traveller 8. Based on what I've read, the Ezybox seems to be a bit better in terms of not having a hotspot but the Honl is smaller and easier to set up/fold up?

Oh and do you guys take out say their Ezybox at a restaurant for nonpro use? Even the Speed-lite version is so big that it's bound to get looks. :oops:

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 27, 2012 12:36 |  #2

Any advice guys?

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 27, 2012 15:30 |  #3

I don't use either one. However, I'll try to help with a question. Are you using this on camera or off? Not sure about those mods and how they are intended. I do a lot of off camera flash and my go to small modifiers are the Lumiquest Softbox III and Softbox LTP. I ahve been very impressed with their results. I am sure the ones you mention are similar.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

BigBadWolfie
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 17:16 as a reply to  @ CxThree's post |  #4

Thanks for the help. I'll try to use off-camera flash when I can (usually just have it in my hand). I guess what I'm looking for is better than nothing to soften the light a bit.

jdotuk
113 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 03, 2012 23:33 |  #5

I have the Traveller8. It's a pretty decent modifier, but I don't think I'd pay for it again if it was me. Even though these are called softboxes they aren't going to soften the light that much - remember that soft light comes from modifiers that are large in relation to the subject.

Check out this post on Strobist for more info:

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …it-21-apparent-light.html (external link)

I lit this photo using the Traveller8, but it was right up on her, barely above the ambient light.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6790916926_f71970ffa9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …remiahmullins/6​790916926/  (external link)
Emma (external link) by jeremiah.mullins (external link), on Flickr

Contrast it to this photo where the flash was farther away.
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6951145617_853e896178_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …remiahmullins/6​951145617/  (external link)
IMG_3437 (external link) by jeremiah.mullins (external link), on Flickr

Hope it helps!

Jeremiah (J.) Mullins
5D & 7D | 35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 135L | X100s

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ezybox Speed-Lite vs Honl traveller 8?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.