Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-50 vs Canon 17-55 ... my one week tryout

this thread is locked
0.24L
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:52 |  #61

If you have such special condition at the first place, dont you think you should go proper means to take proper care of yourself such as tailor made clothes? isnt it kind of obvious? If you have such a problem and stubbornly try the product, insisting all product should be brand new when you try it, I am sorry but this is outright selfish. Remember, for one single t-shirt, before you want to try it on, you might want to consider that a lot people have tried it before.

Mike55 wrote in post #13938884 (external link)
Yeah, that comment sort of shows your ignorance on how common that is. A piece of dog or cat hair is easily inhaled off a piece of clothing when someone tries it on. In some cases this sends people to the ER. This obviously isn't as big of a problem with lenses, but in some cases there are still issues. A family member has a severe allergy to black mold. If she gets near it, she has seizures. She avoids used book stores, garage sales, laundromats, etc. She's had problems with clothes that she later found out were returned.

There are a lot of folks out there with all kinds of issues that may seem strange to the regular SUV-driving male with gelled hair and a Burger King Whopper in his mouth. Severe allergies are common. Remember, not everyone wants what has been in your house.

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE CANON LENSE, CLICK HERE >>> (external link).
TO VIEW RESULT, CLICK HERE >>> (external link).

sponsored links
0.24L
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:56 |  #62

Then for god sake, dont buy from the mentioned shops which has such reputation.. this is the vendor way of customer service as well as to improve sales..
I'm willing to bet my last dollar that NCCB couldnt have expect this when he started the thread.

silvrg35 wrote in post #13939317 (external link)
So I am guessing most people wouldn't mind receiving a one-week used lens at full retail price?

I know I would prefer a lens that is BNIB.

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:58 |  #63

0.24L wrote in post #13939707 (external link)
I'm willing to bet my last dollar that NCCB couldnt have expect this when he started the thread.

You are 100% correct.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

hyolee
33 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 21, 2012 20:27 as a reply to  @ nccb's post |  #64

Horrible thread.

1. Lack of ethics by OP
2. Comparing pictures of dead leaves
3. The shots are handheld with inconsistent exposure

BTW, my opinion is to purchase the Tammy, since it costs the least and offers good IQ. Use those saved funds towards the 24-70 L II after upgrading to the 5DX.

ekinnyc
763 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 21, 2012 20:41 |  #65

Mike55 wrote in post #13938884 (external link)
Yeah, that comment sort of shows your ignorance on how common that is. A piece of dog or cat hair is easily inhaled off a piece of clothing when someone tries it on.

this is precisely the kind of mentality prevalent in parents who are afraid to let their children play dodgeball in school for fear of a scraped knee. so if a piece of cat hair can be inhaled, do you then NOT go to any store? because if you come from a home with a pet, wouldnt you be worried about going to ANY place where there are other people, for fear of someone having an allergic reaction? or, as a person with allergy, do you consistently avoid any place that has a gathering of people?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

roy416
224 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 20:49 |  #66

Quick question, do I need to mount the hood on Sigma 17-50 all the time? Since I have a tiny camera bag, there is no room for a hood. I have B+W UV at the front and happy its performance. Any difference?

Canon 6D, EF 24-105mm F4 L, EF 40mm F2.8 STM, EF 100mm F2.8

0.24L
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 20:52 |  #67

I am not acquainted with the OP but really disappointed by the Squeaky Clean Forumers (SCFs) here, destroying a thread which might be useful to people to make a comparison.

While his review might not be useful to you, he is one of those who actually contribute info to this forum. I appreciate his time taken to upload photo, crop and compare the difference.

Putting ethics aside (this is totally nothing to argue about since the vendor approves it, how many times have we state that), calling this thread horrible esp by someone who put 25 posts (maybe useless post) in 2 years is totally uncalled for.

I think you are trying to pick up a fight behind the screen.

hyolee wrote in post #13939888 (external link)
Horrible thread.

1. Lack of ethics by OP
2. Comparing pictures of dead leaves
3. The shots are handheld with inconsistent exposure

BTW, my opinion is to purchase the Tammy, since it costs the least and offers good IQ. Use those saved funds towards the 24-70 L II after upgrading to the 5DX.

ekinnyc
763 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 21, 2012 20:56 |  #68

roy416 wrote in post #13940065 (external link)
Quick question, do I need to mount the hood on Sigma 17-50 all the time? Since I have a tiny camera bag, there is no room for a hood. I have B+W UV at the front and happy its performance. Any difference?

the hood is functional for protecting the lens from glare and the front element from bumps. you have the second purpose covered by the UV filter. you dont have to have the filter front-mounted at all times... will it fit into the bag if its reversed on the lens? unless the bag is completely packed, it shouldnt add more to the girth of the lens

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

roy416
224 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 21:01 |  #69

ekinnyc wrote in post #13940122 (external link)
the hood is functional for protecting the lens from glare and the front element from bumps. you have the second purpose covered by the UV filter. you dont have to have the filter front-mounted at all times... will it fit into the bag if its reversed on the lens? unless the bag is completely packed, it shouldnt add more to the girth of the lens

The truth I don't hood right now, and wonder if I need buy one. The bag (lowepro flipside 200) is also very tight to hold all my stuff. I did store my 100mm hood in bag with reversed mount since I found big difference. That's my question.

Canon 6D, EF 24-105mm F4 L, EF 40mm F2.8 STM, EF 100mm F2.8

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 21, 2012 21:05 |  #70

0.24L wrote in post #13940095 (external link)
I am not acquainted with the OP but really disappointed by the Squeaky Clean Forumers (SCFs) here, destroying a thread which might be useful to people to make a comparison.

While his review might not be useful to you, he is one of those who actually contribute info to this forum. I appreciate his time taken to upload photo, crop and compare the difference.

Putting ethics aside (this is totally nothing to argue about since the vendor approves it, how many times have we state that), calling this thread horrible esp by someone who put 25 posts (maybe useless post) in 2 years is totally uncalled for.

I think you are trying to pick up a fight behind the screen.

Sigh......indeed. I have lurked here for months/years and haven't seen a thread go this direction with people attacking each other.... I would have already locked the thread if I could. But oh well.

ekinnyc
763 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 21, 2012 21:07 |  #71

roy416 wrote in post #13940174 (external link)
The truth I don't hood right now, and wonder if I need buy one. The bag (lowepro flipside 200) is also very tight to hold all my stuff. I did store my 100mm hood in bag with reversed mount since I found big difference. That's my question.

doesnt the sigma come with a hood? i thought only the canon 17-55 doesnt come with a hood included. IMO, a hood is more function over aesthetic form, so if you can fit it in, take it

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 21, 2012 21:10 |  #72

ekinnyc wrote in post #13940247 (external link)
doesnt the sigma come with a hood? i thought only the canon 17-55 doesnt come with a hood included. IMO, a hood is more function over aesthetic form, so if you can fit it in, take it

Yes, it does. I saw reports online of the hood fitting loosely but mine fits fine.

ekinnyc
763 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 21, 2012 21:12 |  #73

i knew i wasnt imagining it!
i recommended the sigma to my friend for his 60d, and he is extremely happy with it. i shot with it, the hood is snug.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

0.24L
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 21:18 |  #74

I am not attacking anyone, I'm just felt that it is unfair to brand the OP unethic/for creating a horrible thread when he is trying to contribute. I believe the forum is strong due to our contributors here.

If they dont like about the policy of the return goods, they can contact the mentioned sellers.

The review is totally going off track thanks to the SCFs..

Back to the review, I find that Sigma 17-50 is tack sharp with great contrast, but I had to try for several copies in the shop before I get a copy without any focus problem

nccb wrote in post #13940214 (external link)
Sigh......indeed. I have lurked here for months/years and haven't seen a thread go this direction with people attacking each other.... I would have already locked the thread if I could. But oh well.

sponsored links

14,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-50 vs Canon 17-55 ... my one week tryout
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.