Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HSS for $15?

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 25, 2012 01:26 |  #16

akfreak wrote in post #13957055 (external link)
@PaceAce<--- Hey Bro, hows it going? It's been a few days. I hope all is well in your world!

I spoke to a Senior Canon Tech VP at the WPPI 2012 in a suite on the 21st floor. I signed an NDA and everything so I cant go into any detail. But I can say this. I the maker of the video from the OP's link, gave the right person at Canon an exact method on how and why they need to add a shutter sync offset timing built into the firmware of a Canon Camera.

It will all be strobe dependent strobe dependent, but to have full control over a timing offset, just like the micro lens adjustment but for Flash trigger timings is invaluable.

I pitched it as being able to use your camera at any shutter speed with any strobes (speed lights or studio). You can have your Master flash in HSS and instead of having to buy a Mini TT1 or Flex TT5 to control a timing offset based on a preflash signal. It will all be in camera. No need to have a laptop to change the timings based on the new duration because you changed power. A button press and dial away.

BTW I am sorry about such a Long Drawn out Crappy video. I am a horrific editor, and was late late at night just after my second Monster Energy drink and will fix it as soon as I have time.

On a side note, I got a chance to work with my friends at the Westcott booth, and I played with the new ICE lights. You can see my big behind holding them for this video interview (external link). They are really cool. and I have a set on the way. OOOPS did I just say a set of Ice lights one the way? Ones that arent available yet. Hmmm, It's great to have friends in the photography world!

I will make another long winded video about them in the near future, Oh in the video they did not mention a few things, they have a groove at the top and the bottom that hold gels. They are so cool!

Again sorry about the crappy video on my blog, I guess it's time to get serious about the content I out up. No more 1/2 crap I promise!

The vid isn't crap, it IS informative, but it just took a while to get there.
Most people who watch is know what the PW is and what HSS is. I'd make two versions, a straight to the point one and maybe a link to a more informative one for those who could benefit from it.

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 30, 2012 01:36 |  #17

Ok.
I have been trying to get this to work with my setup with no luck.
For my on camera flash, I am using a nissin Di866 mkII in HSS and Cactus V5's with optical triggers plugged in them. I have tried to use this setup for HSS and normal sync and I cannot get the remote flash also with Cactus V5's to trigger in sync.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

akfreak
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 30, 2012 01:55 as a reply to  @ ChadAndreo's post |  #18

I have a suggestion by a slave from me! Let me take a guess you can get the flash connected to the optical slave to pop one time and that is. You need an optical slave made specifically for Canon, this is why I bought a case of these slaves, They are the only ones that work with Canon

http://www.speedtest.n​et/result/1460485335.p​ng (external link)

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 30, 2012 02:08 |  #19

I bought the optical slave from flash zebra (external link) that was made for canon ex flashes.
If I cannot find another solution, I will definitely consider getting one from you. My main issue was having to wait for my payment to clear instead of being able to pay instantly via paypal.

EDIT:
I just did some more testing and it appears that the preflash in ETTL mode is the issue.
Everything works fine when I use Manual mode on the Nissin, but the fastest sync speed is 1/250 in M mode.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

akfreak
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 30, 2012 03:38 as a reply to  @ ChadAndreo's post |  #20

tis ok, I am not in the business of selling gear, I am a photog. I dont need people taking shots at me via paypal. I hate paypal and hope that I never ever had to pay them another penny for anything. Yeah that one from Flash Zebra will work fine. Cheers, and good luck my man.

http://www.speedtest.n​et/result/1460485335.p​ng (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
HSS for $15?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.