Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 12:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quantum 1 - battery LEDs question

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 23, 2012 12:58 |  #1

I just re-celled an original Quantum 1 battery myself and it seems to work, hooked it up to a Vivitar 285HV and it fires.

However, none of the green battery LEDs (1/3, 2/3, 1) ever lit up. According to the manual, they are supposed to light up to show you current battery status after you fire the flash.

Is this just a case of the cells needing to be fully charged or is something wrong with the pack? The pack is currently charging and the voltage was sitting around 6.2V before I hooked it up.

Joel

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2012 15:44 |  #2

The pack's circuit board for monitoring the battery status just might well be fried. The lights are supposed to light up even before you fire the flash.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 24, 2012 09:33 |  #3

That's what I'm suspecting... does the circuit board do anything other than monitor voltage? I would think for the price there would be intelligent charging but the manual doesn't seem to indicate that.

In any case, it still seems usable, though it will be annoying to have to check charge with a voltmeter instead of looking at LEDs.

Joel

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 26, 2012 13:21 |  #4

Open it up and simply check all the Solder Joints. It may have a cold joint that just needs touched up. Did it work before, or is this an old unit you just got? They should always indicate charge level, as long as it is switched on.

I recently re-celled both of my units after they had been in storage for 10 years. I got the OEM brand USA Made for about $24 each pack. $50 gave me $500 worth of equipment!

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 27, 2012 11:46 |  #5

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #13970142 (external link)
Open it up and simply check all the Solder Joints. It may have a cold joint that just needs touched up. Did it work before, or is this an old unit you just got? They should always indicate charge level, as long as it is switched on.

I recently re-celled both of my units after they had been in storage for 10 years. I got the OEM brand USA Made for about $24 each pack. $50 gave me $500 worth of equipment!

It's an old unit, I bought the cells individually at about $11 a piece. I saw a replacement pack on eBay for about $20 but shipping was the same cost! :(

I will open it up and have a look see when I get a moment.

Joel

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 29, 2012 09:05 |  #6

Had a look inside and didn't see anything suspect, it's probably fried... oh well!

Joel

sponsored links

1,175 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quantum 1 - battery LEDs question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.