Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2012 18:17 as a reply to  @ post 13961214 |  #31

I chose Canon because the majority of my family members and close friends have Canon.

On the practicality point of view. We borrow each others lens.
For a hobbyist this works for me and my family.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,206 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2012 18:29 |  #32

2 things.

1 - I've been using Canon since my early, digital P&S days, so I'm familiar with their control scheme and menu layout.

2 - I like Canon's long glass offerings better

I also think that, because of the companies' different design choices for controls, Nikons work better for Engineers and Canons work better for Creatives. NOTE that those are, really, really generic archetypes and not directed at actual vocational pursuits.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

SimplyShane
684 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 25, 2012 01:40 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

A *huge* reason to shoot Canon is *this* site.

No, I'm not kidding. There isn't one Nikon page that even comes close to the kind of following this forum attracts, and that certainly matters.
For starters, this forum's Buy and Sell board is fantastic. I've never had a bad transaction, and I personally find it to be an invaluable resource when it comes to saving some cash on used equipment.

Also, the community itself is extremely active and genuinely helpful, and that goes a long way toward making someone feel comfortable with this brand.

Ultimately, this is a very unique and special place, and it alone played a *major* factor into my decision to stick with Canon.

(Thanks Guys. :-) )

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bengford (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 25, 2012 01:53 |  #34

If the question was phrased in the sense of why *I* bought Canon over Nikon, I would simply say it was personal preference. If pushed to elaborate further, I would explain that I did a lot of research before buying and what I bought was the best fit for me.

If the question was phrased in the sense of why *they* (the person asking) should buy Canon over Nikon, I would say that I'm not knowledgeable enough about Nikon's offerings to offer an opinion of them, and that they should do their own research and get some hands-on time with both brands, if possible, before making their decision. I'd also add that it's a lot more about the photographer than the gear.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 25, 2012 02:28 |  #35

Because, many years ago, Canon beat Nikon to releasing a high-resolution (for the time) full-frame sensor that could compete with MF film.

For new users, or those seeking to upgrade without a significant investment in lenses, I've been recommending Nikon. Canon is just resting on its laurels and pursuing the video market.

Eccentric ­ M
349 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 25, 2012 04:08 |  #36

I chose Canon because I got a good deal on it on Boxing Day (Rebel XS + Grip + Kit lens + Extra Battery + Bag for $499 + tax).

Although I prefer Canon, I don't hate Nikon (but I hate Nikon fanboys though). Nikon has some good stuff like the 14-24G and their lens caps > Canon lens caps!

EOS 7D - EF-S 15-85 IS USM - EF 50 1.8 II - EF 70-300 IS USM - Speedlite 430EX II
A6000 - 16-50 PZ OSS
Flickr (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,669 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 25, 2012 05:31 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13960973 (external link)
When challenged about my choice of Canon, I simply reply that the Canon online discussion forum is so much better than the Nikon equivalent!

POTN beats out the Nikon Cafe by a long shot!

My sentiments as well.

Cheers,
Bear Dale
Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,042 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2012 06:59 |  #38

^^ True.

My actual answer is that the lenses are cheaper and the selection better.

Well, they used to be cheaper, until Canon figured out that II means double price.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

moonshadow
184 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 25, 2012 07:46 |  #39

Lots of L lenses in the buy and sell section here in POTN and in my country while Nikon have lots of Sigma and tamron on their B&S section. =)

Ronald │5DmkII / 7D / 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 f2.8LIS / 17-40 f4L / 35 1.4L / 135 f2L

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 25, 2012 07:52 as a reply to  @ moonshadow's post |  #40

Because white lenses are so sexy :lol:

My father introduced me to Canon when I was a little boy :cool:

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2012 08:32 |  #41

I bought my first camera 6 months ago, the only reason i choosed Canon was it's script seems better.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 25, 2012 08:47 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

I just tell them that I've always shot Canon so, at this point, it's more intuitive and comfortable for me.

As to why I picked Canon over Nikon way back then? Luck of the draw, really. Nothing more. When I wanted to buy a camera, I came across a Canon SLR that I was able to afford. Had I found a Nikon that I could afford, things may have ended up differently...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2012 10:45 |  #43

Yeah...

Originally, when I switched from Nikon to Canon (when I actually got serious about photography), I chose Canon because the prices were a lot better. Suddenly, that isn't the case anymore.

Now when people ask me, the answer is usually "because that's what my boss gives me." or "because I like red better than yellow." or just, "because it's what I have."

I actually don't really care anymore. :lol: I'll use whatever gets put in my hand as long as it's controls are pro-oriented.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

computerguru3190
380 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 25, 2012 11:02 |  #44

I'm actually the other way. I switched from Canon to Nikon a few years ago. I liked my Canon gear, but hated the layout of the of the Mark IIns and Mark IIIs. I just found it odd. I have used both systems since I started shooting and was comfortable with both, so I made the switch with the release of the D3. I found it to be a lot more comfortable.

THE REASON I FOUND IT MORE COMFORTABLE is that I wear glasses and much preferred the D3 prism over the Canon ones. The viewfinder is easily the largest reason I switched. With the extended eye piece, the D3 series is great to shoot with glasses. Since I am shoot several hours a day, it makes a huge difference.

But really, it comes down to I had money to switch at a time when Nikon was leading. I prob wouldn't go back though. I found I like my RAW files straight out of a Nikon Camera more than Canons. Canon's have an odd white color to me. I just find it to be too cool.

These days though, it really makes no difference. A T3i or D5100 are both better cameras than what pros were using 6 years ago.

Rustynail
32 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 26, 2012 03:07 as a reply to  @ computerguru3190's post |  #45

When I went to the store to purchase my first SLR, the salesman sold me a Canon FT QL and that set me on the road of Canon loyalty.

My name is Russell and I'm a photographic equipment whore.

sponsored links

6,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.