Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting Tethered - Rocks!

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 01, 2012 09:48 |  #16

hawk911 wrote in post #13996730 (external link)
Ipad doesn't support RAW, last I checked. Maybe on the ipad 3 ;)

iPad has supported RAW since iPad 1. If you load RAWs, they will be viewable, as it will take the jpeg preview to show you. Technically not raw, but it will be visible on the screen.

(Note: I have only ever used Canon RAWs, maybe Nikons don't work, but I doubt that)

breal101 wrote in post #13996648 (external link)
If RAW transfer is too slow, more than 2 or 3 seconds for him is too slow, is it possible to shoot RAW + SJPG and send just the JPG to the Mac Pro or iPAD for viewing? Keeping the RAW on the card.

Can you shoot without a wireless internet connection available?

Yes, you can shoot RAW + sjpeg and send the jpeg to an iPad OR mac. The last time I tried an eye-fi, it would only allow me to set up one destination for the images, which made it mediocre for my use.

Eye-fi cards also support ad-hoc connections, so they can now connect directly with an iPad-- Previously this was accomplished through being jailbroken and using a wifi tethering app to create a network, but now it's no longer needed.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

sponsored links
hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 01, 2012 10:31 |  #17

so you're shooting raw + jpeg, not straight raw.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

shmoogy
505 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 01, 2012 10:40 |  #18

hawk911 wrote in post #13997330 (external link)
so you're shooting raw + jpeg, not straight raw.

If you shoot straight RAW and import it into an iPad it will show you the images.

I was suggesting that if he uses an eye-fi he should shoot small jpeg alongside raw, and transmit the small jpegs, as they only take 1-3 seconds to transfer wirelessly to an ipad.

5D Mark II, 35L, 24 TS-E, 50 1.8
Canon 1000D

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 01, 2012 10:46 |  #19

ok- I'm not a complete idiot, but how are you importing RAW into the ipad?

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Hopelessdfilms
169 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 01, 2012 11:19 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #20

I'm surprised how little attention Capture 1 Pro gets around here...

Shooting tethered is soooos imple with C1, and when shooting in a situation where there are multiple people on set, utilizing ipod, iphone, ipad is PRICELESS!!!

You can create folders that are effected only by those using the iOS devices so they can make picks and selects without altering your workflow while shooting.

It is simply excellent.

BY NO MEANS AM I SPONSORED BY PHASE ONE.

I only recommend it as I've used the other options out there, lightroom, hasselblad phocus, leaf capture, etc etc etc etc etc....

every single time I have come back to Capture 1 Pro, not just becuase of the ease of use, but image quality as well!

I dare you to put images side by side processed through LR and C1 and tell me that the LR looks better. True, you'd have to pixel peep to really see alot of the main differences, but when it matters, IT MATTERS!

just my .02c

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2012 11:24 |  #21

shmoogy wrote in post #13997410 (external link)
If you shoot straight RAW and import it into an iPad it will show you the images.

I was suggesting that if he uses an eye-fi he should shoot small jpeg alongside raw, and transmit the small jpegs, as they only take 1-3 seconds to transfer wirelessly to an ipad.

Unlike Hawk I guess I am an idiot when it comes to wireless. I've been shooting RAW tethered since 2003 and I'm used to it being wired.

The eye-fi card is SD? That would require an adaptor for 5DII, correct? Like I said not overly informed on wireless, the door still closes with the card in place?

My friend is concerned since, in his mind, he was burned with the other wireless adaptor he bought and sold at a pretty big loss. He would buy the wireless grip if needed but the card could serve, if nothing else, as a test.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 01, 2012 11:37 |  #22

SYS wrote in post #13960951 (external link)
Splashtop

search brings up several from them

remote desktop.....XDisplay

one in particular you used?
thanks.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 01, 2012 11:38 |  #23

Eye-fi is not the best idea on certain cameras. I tried many combinations on my 5dC and never got it to work. Wired is fine for me; I just use the jerkstoppers cable keeper and 24 feet of USB extension

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 01, 2012 11:42 |  #24

Hopelessdfilms wrote in post #13997754 (external link)
I'm surprised how little attention Capture 1 Pro gets around here...

Shooting tethered is soooos imple with C1, and when shooting in a situation where there are multiple people on set, utilizing ipod, iphone, ipad is PRICELESS!!!

You can create folders that are effected only by those using the iOS devices so they can make picks and selects without altering your workflow while shooting.

It is simply excellent.

BY NO MEANS AM I SPONSORED BY PHASE ONE.

I only recommend it as I've used the other options out there, lightroom, hasselblad phocus, leaf capture, etc etc etc etc etc....

every single time I have come back to Capture 1 Pro, not just becuase of the ease of use, but image quality as well!

I dare you to put images side by side processed through LR and C1 and tell me that the LR looks better. True, you'd have to pixel peep to really see alot of the main differences, but when it matters, IT MATTERS!

just my .02c

I'm not sure what you're saying. Does C1 permit wireless shooting without an eye-fi card or a wireless grip?

I'm not being antagonistic, I liked C1 when I was using a Phase One back shooting tethered. It worked fine and I agree the processing is fast and great.

When my friend got his new Macbook Pro it came with Lion which for now doesn't support EOS Utilities Camera Manager. I tried to talk him into C1 but he chose some other program as a stop gap until he gets EOS Utilities working.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,833 posts
Gallery: 278 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 01, 2012 12:17 |  #25

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13997877 (external link)
search brings up several from them

remote desktop.....XDisplay

one in particular you used?
thanks.

The one I'm using is "Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad." However, I haven't explored other "Splashtop" apps so I'm not familiar with them. Explore the rest and see if there's a version that's suitable for your individual need.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 01, 2012 13:06 |  #26

just tried the splashtop xdisplay. The bad thing is you lose the second monitor you might already be running.

It says it won't interfere with you, but if the ipad user is doing something, then you can't be doing something at the same time.

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 01, 2012 13:19 |  #27

SYS wrote in post #13998199 (external link)
The one I'm using is "Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad." However, I haven't explored other "Splashtop" apps so I'm not familiar with them. Explore the rest and see if there's a version that's suitable for your individual need.

thanks........it's downloading now...heck it was 4.99 why not

hawk911 wrote in post #13998546 (external link)
just tried the splashtop xdisplay. The bad thing is you lose the second monitor you might already be running.

It says it won't interfere with you, but if the ipad user is doing something, then you can't be doing something at the same time.

was going to just this but it did say some macbook pro fixes were coming to fix certain issues

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

redrocket
559 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 01, 2012 21:16 |  #28

hawk911 wrote in post #13997476 (external link)
ok- I'm not a complete idiot, but how are you importing RAW into the ipad?

I have been able to view my RAW files since Ipad 1... I use a CF card reader that plugs into the apple port... there is even an app that will allow small edits to your raw files and convert to jpeg...

piRAWnha is one that i can think of now..

card reader... this one works great..

http://store.micgadget​.com …amera-connection-kit.html (external link)

I have G.A.S.

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2012 00:29 |  #29

I use it in gigs with clients... Happy with LR3 .... for now.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 02, 2012 09:13 |  #30

xdisplay seems like it will work for me as a nice add on. People can watch what's going on without hovering on my computer, but I'm still shooting tethered into LR3

sponsored links

5,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting Tethered - Rocks!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.