Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 25 Feb 2012 (Saturday) 11:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

S100 P Mode

JLai81
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 11:25 |  #1

Is there a way to control aperture while in P mode for the S100?

Gear List

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 25, 2012 11:40 |  #2

No. That's what Av is for. There's no capability I can find like the EOS ability to vary aperture/shutterspeed combo together while maintaining the same exposure level by turning the Control Wheel in P mode.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 11:48 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #13964803 (external link)
No. That's what Av is for. There's no capability I can find like the EOS ability to vary aperture/shutterspeed combo together while maintaining the same exposure level by turning the Control Wheel in P mode.

That's what I figured. I use Av for my 7D, but I hate using Av with variable aperture...Thus why all the lenses I use have fixed aperture.

Thought P mode would be a simple solution as it would set aperture unless I chose to change it...unfortunately, not the situation.

Thanks for your help.

Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 25, 2012 11:50 |  #4

If you set the aperture wide open, you'll always get the fastest available aperture. Alternatively,if you use f/5.6,that's available at all focal lengths. Other than that . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 12:04 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #5

True. I'll give it a shot...Still need more play time. Av may be the best solution.

They also really need a little joystick to control the AF point. Auto does a horrid job and it takes too long to use FlexiZone.

Gear List

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 25, 2012 20:53 |  #6

JLai81 wrote in post #13964919 (external link)
True. I'll give it a shot...Still need more play time. Av may be the best solution.

They also really need a little joystick to control the AF point. Auto does a horrid job and it takes too long to use FlexiZone.

Have you tried the focus tracker?

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 21:10 |  #7

Keyan wrote in post #13967271 (external link)

Yeah. Seems like a useful tool to use for action. Still rather have an AF point selector similar to the EOS for regular shots.

Gear List

Sam
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 25, 2012 21:43 |  #8

Keyan wrote in post #13967271 (external link)

JLai81 wrote in post #13967330 (external link)
Yeah. Seems like a useful tool to use for action. Still rather have an AF point selector similar to the EOS for regular shots.

You can focus with the tracker, then recompose as desired but the camera maintains a lock on your intended subject. It seems like a solution for what you were asking unless I'm hearing it wrong.

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 26, 2012 00:29 |  #9

Sam wrote in post #13967460 (external link)
You can focus with the tracker, then recompose as desired but the camera maintains a lock on your intended subject. It seems like a solution for what you were asking unless I'm hearing it wrong.

Yes and no. It tracks so I can recompose, yes...but I want the AF to stay in a certain position rather than recompose every time I don't want the subject in the center of the image. It seems to pretty much serve the same as using the AF lock and recomposing.

Thank you for the information though.

Gear List

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 26, 2012 01:07 |  #10

I have mine permanently parked on a/v. yep yep

My Gearlist

DaaamnGina
67 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 28, 2012 16:21 |  #11

JLai81 wrote in post #13967330 (external link)

I think I can relate to what you're saying. I used to have an LX5, and setting the focus point was much easier. I actually miss it. It handled and focus much better than the S100, but pocketability and JPG quality pushed me to the S100.

Have you tried this? Customize the Ring Func button the AF. In P mode, click Ring Func, move the selector to FlexiZone and click the Menu button. This will let you position the focus point so you don't have to recompose. To me, it's a bit clunky, but saves a few button clicks.

JLai81
THREAD ­ STARTER
736 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2012 19:40 |  #12

DaaamnGina wrote in post #13985451 (external link)
I think I can relate to what you're saying. I used to have an LX5, and setting the focus point was much easier. I actually miss it. It handled and focus much better than the S100, but pocketability and JPG quality pushed me to the S100.

Have you tried this? Customize the Ring Func button the AF. In P mode, click Ring Func, move the selector to FlexiZone and click the Menu button. This will let you position the focus point so you don't have to recompose. To me, it's a bit clunky, but saves a few button clicks.

I might try that out. Thanks for the tip.

I've been shooting in Av the past few days and seem to like that mode best for the S100. Its silly that you can't control aperture in P mode.

Gear List

sponsored links

4,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
S100 P Mode
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.