Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 02:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 date codes

MrNothing
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 27, 2012 02:56 |  #1

Hey folks!

I'm looking into doing a local trade with a someone who's offering their 24-70 for a 24-105 + $100 CDN. Reason being is that while the 24-105 does offer a variety of focal lengths + IS, i'd rather take the faster lens for the type of work I do.

My question is which date codes for the 24-70 are "good versions"? i'm hearing many people saying that their 24-70 had soft focus issues and so on. While the mark ii version is to be released soon, the cost is what is holding me back.

thanks for the feedback!

sponsored links
lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 27, 2012 03:54 |  #2

there is a great article by Roger Cicala and his team at Lensrentals.com about variations in lens quality. He specifically addresses the 24-70mm lens. Essentially, some of the soft "bricks" are a result of a worn plastic collar inside because the lens has been zoomed in and out too much.

http://www.lensrentals​.com …0/the-limits-of-variation (external link)

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 27, 2012 20:49 |  #3

I don't see how date codes would favor an older vs newer lens of this type. I have an 8 year old copy that has always worked well for me. Is the zoom more likely to be worn? Perhaps, but the zoom ring feels really smooth with no slop.

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 28, 2012 05:13 |  #4

a common belief is that certain datecodes are either cursed because of bad karma on the Canon production line or had design flaws in the lenses that were corrected in later datecodes. For some it is far easier to accept this belief than accept the fact that the pristine looking lens they just bought on CL actually has a lot of miles on it and has worn parts inside.

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 28, 2012 05:25 |  #5

The truth of the matter is that you actually have to test whatever lens you get, because there are some winners, and some clunkers, right out of the factory--even now.

In terms of monetary value, newer date codes are more desirable and are worth more, given matching cosmetic condition.

My Gearlist

Roger ­ Cicala
507 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 28, 2012 08:28 |  #6

We've had enough lenses (about 8,000) pass through our hands to see a few instances where there seem to be 'bad runs'. Usually things like a high incidence of electronics board failures, or one run where decentering was common. But date codes are too blunt of a tool for that. Serial number runs (first 2 or 3 digits) sometimes are helpful.

But on a lens like the 24-70 or 24-105 there may be 12 or 14 serial number runs in any given year, so date code isn't going to be of help. The single incidence I know of where date code is a reasonable predictor is the Canon 400 DO, and that's a lens that has one serial number run every year or two.

With regards to the two specific lenses, older 24-70s that are much softer at 70mm than the rest of the range probably do have worn collars. 24-105s tend to age very well. They're probably the most durable IS lens we carry.

My gear is www.lensrentals.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 date codes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.