Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

selling on ebay to zero-feedback buyer

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 27, 2012 10:50 |  #1

not really photography related, but figured id ask for some opinions/advice

i am trying to sell a cellphone on ebay. i listed it up, and after a couple of days, it was snagged at buy it now price. the buyer has 0 feedback and registered the same day as the purchase - this set off red flags in my mind. however, the address she has with paypal is confirmed.

i emailed her to let her know of my concern, and asked if she would be willing to somehow confirm that she is legit. she responded saying she understood, that she lost that same model of phone and didnt want to pay retail to verizon, and would be willing to provide proof. so far, seems ok. i just dont know what kind of proof to ask her for. i want to give the benefit of doubt, as everyone starts at 0 feedback, but at the same time i dont want to be burned with a chargeback.

how do i proceed here?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 27, 2012 11:02 |  #2

If you are shipping to a Paypal confirmed address you are covered. I would not worry about it.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 27, 2012 11:06 |  #3

you should be ok. how to proceed? get the payment, and ship the item with tracking.

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,743 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 27, 2012 11:08 |  #4

Zero feedback can be OK as long as you protect yourself.

That being said, whenever I used to say that 'zero feedback or recent negative members have to contact me first or their bids will be cancelled'. That gives you a bit of control (especially if you leave it vague and the person has any negative feedback, since 'recent' can be relative).

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 27, 2012 11:09 |  #5

ekinnyc wrote in post #13976073 (external link)
not really photography related, but figured id ask for some opinions/advice

i am trying to sell a cellphone on ebay. i listed it up, and after a couple of days, it was snagged at buy it now price. the buyer has 0 feedback and registered the same day as the purchase - this set off red flags in my mind. however, the address she has with paypal is confirmed.

i emailed her to let her know of my concern, and asked if she would be willing to somehow confirm that she is legit. she responded saying she understood, that she lost that same model of phone and didnt want to pay retail to verizon, and would be willing to provide proof. so far, seems ok. i just dont know what kind of proof to ask her for. i want to give the benefit of doubt, as everyone starts at 0 feedback, but at the same time i dont want to be burned with a chargeback.

how do i proceed here?

You're going overboard. You have to be careful not to upset your customers too--it's a balancing act. If it's over $249.99, you need to get signature confirmation. Otherwise, ship with tracking to the address as listed, and you're okay. Insurance is recommended, but NOT necessary... as long as it arrives.

My Gearlist

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 27, 2012 19:48 |  #6

as people have stated above. as long as you take the necessary steps, you should be fine. If everyone never sold to 0 feedback ebay buyers, there would be no ebay. everyone has to start somewhere, and maybe your buyer is one of the people who finally jumped on a deal on ebay that they found suitable.

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 28, 2012 09:52 |  #7

I understand your concern. But as others have stated, so as long you ship to that confirmed address, you're protected by PayPal. However, you do have to remember that we all started off as new and with 0 feedback at some point in time whether its selling or buying.

Make sure you ship package with tracking number and document IMEI or serial number incase they try and do a switcheroo. There are sneaky people out there, so always protect yourself.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS R5 or R6 | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: EF 24-70L II | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 28, 2012 10:04 |  #8

Unlike everybody else my suggestion would be to talk to her on the phone and get comfortable and do not go ahead with the transaction if you are not. I just have no trust in paypal. It may or may not help you and getting signature is not the end of the story.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2012 15:40 |  #9

Just ship it USPS signature required. Belt and suspenders.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 28, 2012 16:09 |  #10

she was kind enough to send me a scan of her cable bill (sensitive data blacked out) that showed address and name
shipped the item usps signature required

i feel slightly more secure, but still better to be safe than sorry.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2012 16:18 |  #11

Everyone started as a zero feedback...good on you for helping someone out a little.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2012 18:16 |  #12

I dont think I have ever even looked at a buyers feedback. Sellers, absolutley, but never a buyer.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 29, 2012 22:10 |  #13

Ebay has features for blocking buyers that don't have adequate feedback for you (for the future at least)

You gotta try not to tick off the customers either. If a seller emailed me after paying and wanted to see a cable bill or proof of who I am I would probably be pretty upset with them, that is going way over the top. Although in your case, it sounds like it was volunteered, so not saying you did anything wrong. Just follow paypal's rules exactly so you can avoid the chargeback possibility and you'll be fine

Gear

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 29, 2012 23:28 as a reply to  @ elogical's post |  #14

I think you did everything exactly the way I would have. You confirmed that she was a real person before sending her the phone. No worries - get on to you next deal!

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links

867 views & 0 likes for this thread
selling on ebay to zero-feedback buyer
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.