Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Competitive Cheerleading - Jr High Provincials

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 27, 2012 11:43 |  #1

My daughter was performing at a cheerleading comp this weekend, first time shooting cheerleading. It was tough! So much going on, I was never really sure where I should be locking on to and I missed some good stunts, though I think I caught the one with the most air. Not to mention typical gym lighting.

Shot with T3i and 80-200/2.8 combo, aperture wide open and shutter in the 1/400-640 range, used auto ISO for the intermediate settings (2500-3200). Shoot the first 20 frames in raw until I realized I forgot my memory card case with my other three cards in it... Set it to fluorescent WB and changed to JPEG to salvage my day.

Any feedback welcome!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9455 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

#2 - This is a comp of two images to provide some idea of how much air she got.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9554_9556 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9566 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9604 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9629 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9710 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9744 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9750 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

Joel

sponsored links
Jemhead
659 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 27, 2012 20:48 |  #2

Really great job capturing the action. They turned out nice considering the high iso needed.
#2 and #6 were my favorite

5D III / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / 17-40L / 135L / 85L 1.2 II / 70-200L 2.8 IS
flickr (external link)Օ

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 28, 2012 09:45 |  #3

Thanks Jemhead, it was definitely a learning experience!

Wondering if I should have posted this in the sports thread instead?

Joel

Roush611
61 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2012 10:24 |  #4

joeblack2022 wrote in post #13982834 (external link)
Thanks Jemhead, it was definitely a learning experience!

Wondering if I should have posted this in the sports thread instead?

No because cheerleading is not a sport!!!! ha ha ha just kidding. Sorry I had to you left it open. :)

The pictures came out good! I think the second one might have been better if you got the base in there with the girls in the air. That would help with the perception of how high she is. I also like #5 because of how you were able to capture the facial expression...

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 28, 2012 10:31 |  #5

Roush611 wrote in post #13983092 (external link)
No because cheerleading is not a sport!!!! ha ha ha just kidding. Sorry I had to you left it open. :)

The pictures came out good! I think the second one might have been better if you got the base in there with the girls in the air. That would help with the perception of how high she is. I also like #5 because of how you were able to capture the facial expression...

Oh trust me I saw the discussion about that... :D

The second one caught me completely off guard, I didn't expect her to get as much air as she did. She was just flying all over the place!

Thanks for the comments. :)

Joel

RACINGHART03
908 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2012 19:54 |  #6

Gyms are tough. A trick someone told me ( I havent tried it) is meter the gym before hand. Set your camera in manual. And get your exposure set. Using a high shutter speed (since you are freezing action) and this way you can check this histogram after a shot and just tweak the iso (since you said you maxed out on Aperture. Made sense on paper lol. I like the last shot..I would have like the guys head out of the shot but I know its tough to move around in there!

500PX (external link)FLICKR (external link)
Canon 5DMKIII Gripped X 2, 35MM 1.4/ 50MM 1.2/ 85MM 1.2/ 135MM 2.0/ 16-35 F2.8LII/ 24-70 F2.8L/ 70-200 F2.8L IS/ 300mm IS 4.0L/100MM 2.8L Macro/ 1.4II range extender/ 600ex-RT X4 /Ste3/ MR14X II

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 29, 2012 09:14 |  #7

RACINGHART03 wrote in post #13986746 (external link)
Using a high shutter speed (since you are freezing action) and this way you can check this histogram after a shot and just tweak the iso (since you said you maxed out on Aperture. Made sense on paper lol. I like the last shot..I would have like the guys head out of the shot but I know its tough to move around in there!

I had it set to Auto ISO so I could get access to the intermediate ISO settings i.e. 1250, 2500 - which aren't accessible manually on a T3i. For the most part it stayed on 3200. It actually underexposed often, but I wasn't willing to push it up to 6400 (I had set the limit in auto to 3200).

I tried to stay fairly low-key. First time at one of these things and let's just say some of the parents were quite excited about seeing their kids. Doors opened at 11:30am for 12:00pm show start and the lineup started at 9am... :confused:

Thanks for the comments! :)

Joel

sponsored links

1,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Competitive Cheerleading - Jr High Provincials
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.