Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 14:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ND10 to shoot the eclipse ???

sanfairyanne
298 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 28, 2012 14:32 |  #1

Recently I posted a question to ask about the necessary solar filter required to shoot an eclipse. I was given the name of a company called Optcorp who I was told could help out. Yesterday I spent much of the afternoon talking to a helpful sales person but it was very much a case of umming and ahhing. By that I mean the sales person was used to people buying filters for telescopes and binoculars but not for cameras.

Despite this long ongoing conversation I came away non the wiser the sales guy didn't know whether to sell me Astro Zap solar film, or Thousand Oaks.

I'll be using a Canon 24-105mm L lens. I intend to shoot the eclipse in time lapse then layer each successive moon/sun into one image with a separate exposure for the foreground.

It was suggested I use a 10 stop neutral density filter, but I wonder is this acceptable.

I have a ND10 and I'd do a practise session if I could see the sun, but it's snowing outside and we haven't seen the sun properly for a week or more. I'm using a Canon 5D2 so I could shoot f22 at 8000 sec with a ND10.

I guess I imagined I could just buy a screw on filter to fit the 77mm diameter of my lens. It would seem not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 28, 2012 16:01 |  #2

Good luck , i'd like to see that . Many will try and be disappointed cause if you have never shot eclipses before your not going to get what you expect . You might expect to see detail on the moon like you get with a night time moon shot but you will get nothing more than a silhouette against the sun so what i'm getting at is your sun will be blown out and the moon will have no detail shooting this way . Also it depends where your located cause if your not in the direct pathway you wont get very good shots . Check this out and if your luck you can might get these type images .

http://www.mreclipse.c​om …2005/ASE2005gal​leryB.html (external link)

paul3221
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2012 16:09 |  #3

I'm not sure about an ND10, but a cheaper alternative might be the dark protective glass from an Arc Welding helmet. I know back when I was in school they said that an arc welding helmet was good for watching an eclipse. I think replacement lenses are <$5, and you could probably rig it to fit into a Cokin filter holder or something. It may be worth a shot. It wouldn't cost much to try...

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 28, 2012 16:15 |  #4

For a start in any solar work, one of the two filters you discussed with the sales rep would be the type to use. They are more like 8000-10000X density. Personally (and I've used both) I like the Baader film better. The 1000 Oaks is just too dense.

Grab a bit of the Baader (Astro Zap) solar film and shape it to suit your 24-105 lens. Go outside and practise in the conditions you have. Work it out before the eclipse.

Note that using that lens, the max. size on sensor of the sun/moon images will be about 1mm (one millimetre). That's at f=100mm.
Am.

Edit: In terms of what Paul said above, you'd better check about the welding filters. In any case, they would not be optically corrected enough for critical work. And another thing. I don't think you can get them as big as 70mm wide (may be wrong there).

omarsultan
34 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2012 17:57 |  #5

I would check out some of the threads on Cloudy Nights. I do not think an ND10 is sufficient. For one thing most ND filters only cover the visible spectrum, not IR or UV, so an ND filter by itself will not protect your camera sensor or your eyes.

Omar

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 28, 2012 21:43 |  #6

A #14 welders glass will allow you to watch an eclipse but it's no good for photography . You need a solar filter . At thousandoaksoptical.co​m (external link) you can order the 77mm screw on filter in "Black Polymer for your 24-105mm L lens . I believe that is the filter size for that lens according to Canon . It's $59.00 but if you want to shoot the sun that is what you need . Don't take my word for it , follow the link and call to check it out before you buy . Otherwise like mentioned above get a Baadar film amd make one to fit on the O.D. of your lens . Just make sure it is secure and will not fall off !

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 29, 2012 08:23 |  #7

what eclipse? Of yea, there are other parts of the world besides the USA :rolleyes:

Seriously, Good luck capturing it, and POST those pictures afterward.

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 29, 2012 10:41 |  #8

mtbdudex wrote in post #13989498 (external link)
what eclipse?

Here is the first thread i posted 4 weeks ago about it but seems not many were interested but instead of looking for threads already posted about the eclipse they started a new one ;) . I believe i was the first thread starter this time . You can follow the link and it will take you to a map of the path and where it will be seen from . If your too far off you wont catch much of it . You'll have to be in the center of the path to see the whole eclipse .

https://photography-on-the.net …highlight=annul​ar+eclipse

sanfairyanne
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 04, 2012 13:37 |  #9

I'm attaching an image I shot at 105mm f14 8000sec with an ND10. The histogram shows no blown out highlights. This was shot just before midday with no cloud in the sky. Of course I could go to f22 and I even have an ND6 I could screw on top of the ND10. I doubt I'd have vignetting at 105mm though I have yet to check this.

I realise that the image is small but I want to do a timelapse with many images layered into one showing the gradual eclipse.

My main question really is will I damage my sensor if I don't have blown highlights.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply I am grateful for the advice. I was surprised that when I contacted Optcorp they couldn't give me a definitive answer, it was as though they only sell to people who want to view the eclipse and not to those who want to photograph it. I should say they were extremely helpful.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 04, 2012 15:40 |  #10

A: So what is your sensor doing while you're ensuring that you get no blown highlights in your exposure?

There is also no useful info in the sun's disc in this image, ie, it is overexposed.
If you get the idea that the ND10 filter is inadequate for this photography then you wouldn't be far wrong.
Am.

sanfairyanne
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 04, 2012 15:51 |  #11

Sorry I must be missing something, if the sensor shows no blown highlight then surely there's no blown highlight.

What amazes me is that the Astro dealers can't give me a definitive answer and they think the ND10 is acceptable.

You say 'useful data' what useful data could I expect. It's not as though it were the moon and I could hope to see craters etc.

sanfairyanne
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 04, 2012 16:12 |  #12

Ok because I can't add an image I ask that folks might Google Easter Island Eclipse and hit Images. The shot I want to replicate is the only Timelapse image on page 7. I'd add a link but it's huge and people sometimes think this will lead to a virus.

In this image the guy shot it at 28mm so the info' showing moon/sun is tiny. As you can see in this shot the eclipse is visible but there's no real detail it just shows a shadow as the moon gradually gets to cover more and more of the sun. There are 24 moon/sun shots, then the eclipse then 24 moon/sun shots plus one image exposed without filter for the foreground, in his case shot either before or more likely after the sun was in the frame.

Optcorp are telling me I should be fine with a ND10, who do I believe. Incidentally I'll be shooting in Page Arizona which should be an ideal location.

ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 04, 2012 17:48 |  #13

sanfairyanne wrote in post #14021987 (external link)
Sorry I must be missing something, if the sensor shows no blown highlight then surely there's no blown highlight.

What amazes me is that the Astro dealers can't give me a definitive answer and they think the ND10 is acceptable.

You say 'useful data' what useful data could I expect. It's not as though it were the moon and I could hope to see craters etc.

Interim reply: By "useful data" I mean properly exposed, so as to be able to show such as sunspots. Else they would be just whited out too.

In my next reply I will link to an old thread of mine, (when I find it and it's not that "great") but have a look at some of the sun photos here. I will also check out the reference you gave.
Am.

Continuation: I couldn't find exactly the image you meant, but I saw others that were wide-field and showed the progressive stages of the eclipse.
OK, so you don't need to show much detail in such a shot, BUT, you still need to make sure you don't cook your camera. I'd still recommend a nicely made filer using Baader film for such a shot. You will need to increase your exposure time for the "total" phase.

I cannot find the post I mentioned above (maybe another forum), but look at other sun shots here.
Am.

sanfairyanne
THREAD ­ STARTER
298 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 04, 2012 19:09 |  #14

Thanks Am,

I understand I don't want to cook my camera (even though the new Canon 5D3 is out) wouldn't that give me a good excuse!

I am rushing between shoots and have limited time but will look into this in more detail. Thanks very much for your time.

Andrew

I ­ DREAD ­ ME
284 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 02, 2012 21:00 as a reply to  @ sanfairyanne's post |  #15

Orion Full Aperture Glass Solar Filter
Fits on the end of your lens hood

Leonard

1DX II** 5D2 ** G1X ** 50mm 1.2L ** 14mm2.8L II ** 24-70mm 2.8L II ** 70-200mm 2.8L II ** 100mm macro 2.8 L IS ** Aquatica 5D2 underwater housing with multiple ports

sponsored links

12,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
ND10 to shoot the eclipse ???
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.