Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2012 (Friday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "The new 5DMIII is:"
Exceeded my expectations
9.3%
About right
41%
Disappointed
11.1%
Overpriced regardless
38.5%

837 voters, 836 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMIII POLL: What do you think?

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 20:09 |  #151

bzollinger wrote in post #14031235 (external link)
You guys (Mookalafalas, dave kadolph, and nikhilnh) seriously think that a brand new sensor (have yet to see it's results), Digic 5+, greatly expanded ISO, 61 point AF, 100% viewfinder, slightly improved screen, 6fps, +-5 EV, 2, 3, 5, 7 frame AEB, Multiple exposure, built-in HDR, and dual storage slots, account for nothing more than what the 5Dmkii and/or 7D can do?

I say quit trolling...

bw!

I for one am extremely excited and can't wait for delivery.

The camera could have all the latest and greatest technology on earth, sell for 19.99 and people would stil find something to complain about. :-)

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sponsored links
kimboy
130 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 05, 2012 20:11 |  #152

I was really excited about the new 61 focus points, but realized how overwhelmed I was with the 7d in AI servo mode. I'm going to hold off and see how the masses handle the new focusing system. If it's to active or complex, I might sit on my hands a while longer

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2012 20:24 as a reply to  @ kimboy's post |  #153

Looks pretty good at ISO 6400

http://www.dpreview.co​m …-light-iso-samples#page=1 (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,112 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:01 |  #154

JeffreyG wrote in post #14031550 (external link)
They did indeed give me at least exactly what I have been saying I wanted since the day the 5D2 was announced.

This is true, but is also why a lot of us are expressing some disappointment. They are all good and useful new features, but most of the technology was around when the 5D2 was announced, it's not quite as impressive when added several years later. I use a 5D2 now, and like it, and will almost certainly buy a 5D3, but it's hard to jump up and down with joy because a lot of pretty common features have been put in the new model that have been around for a long time. My 2 year old Panasonic Gf1 has 5 stop bracketing. In camera HDR is pretty commonplace now, and can almost certainly be done better in post with dedicated software. Double exposure sounds cool. Dual card slots, that's great, but hardly an R&D triumph--even the cheapest P&S has an SDHC slot.

kawi_200 wrote in post #14031612 (external link)
4) Price. Seems overly high, but they need to make up for R&D

From my comments above, you can probably see why I am not really in agreement with you here. If it turns out the Digic 5 is great, that will be awesome news, but right now it's just a name. The boast "2 stops better Jpeg ISO" means little to me, as I shoot Raw, and the NR smeared "evidence" pictures released don't fill me with confidence, but that may just be poorly handled PR by Canon (I hope so!). I really, really want the high ISO handling to be better.

bzollinger, the name of this thread is "what do you think?". I think you are out of line calling people trolls for honestly stating our reservations. You can start another thread "Tell why you are sure you will love the 5D3" or some such. You can attack people over there for expressing concerns.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

nikhilnh
421 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 05, 2012 21:11 |  #155

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14032017 (external link)
This is true, but is also why a lot of us are expressing some disappointment. They are all good and useful new features, but most of the technology was around when the 5D2 was announced, it's not quite as impressive when added several years later. I use a 5D2 now, and like it, and will almost certainly buy a 5D3, but it's hard to jump up and down with joy because a lot of pretty common features have been put in the new model that have been around for a long time. My 2 year old Panasonic Gf1 has 5 stop bracketing. In camera HDR is pretty commonplace now, and can almost certainly be done better in post with dedicated software. Double exposure sounds cool. Dual card slots, that's great, but hardly an R&D triumph--even the cheapest P&S has an SDHC slot.

From my comments above, you can probably see why I am not really in agreement with you here. If it turns out the Digic 5 is great, that will be awesome news, but right now it's just a name. The boast "2 stops better Jpeg ISO" means little to me, as I shoot Raw, and the NR smeared "evidence" pictures released don't fill me with confidence, but that may just be poorly handled PR by Canon (I hope so!). I really, really want the high ISO handling to be better.

bzollinger, the name of this thread is "what do you think?". I think you are out of line calling people trolls for honestly stating our reservations. You can start another thread "Tell why you are sure you will love the 5D3" or some such. You can attack people over there for expressing concerns.

Exactly. People are just expressing their opinions about the new 5D3, they are not expressing their disappointment for bzollinger's 5D3 preorder. If anybody does it then they are out of line. But calling some one troll just for expressing an opinion/ reservations is totally uncalled for.

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 05, 2012 21:18 |  #156
bannedPermanent ban

bzollinger wrote in post #14031152 (external link)
Possibly, but you're talking about buying a used 3.5 year old camera compared to one that was only announced a few days ago. What you say may be true, but it's a terrible comparison.

What's more relavent is the price of the new 5D3 vs. what the 5d2 was, and what 90% of POTN members keep saying is a more reasonable price, $3000.

BTW- I have no intention of buying a grip for my soon to be new camera. I've never owned one ever, but $500 for one sounds like a rip off. If I was going to buy one I'd probably opt for a third party grip.

Why is it a terrible comparison. Afterall, we buy cameras to take pictures...no? The 5D2 can take amazing photos, I've even taken some myself. From what I have seen of the 5D3, the extra bells and whistles are not worth $2000 more than a 5D2. Others may disagree and are happy to slap down the cash.

I guess it is the same reasoning that I don't purchase a new car every year as they come out with new wizbang features. My car still gets me from A to B...just like a 5D2 can still take amazing photos.

Now if Canon releases a 36mp camera without a filter...then my ears will perk up.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:21 |  #157

kawi_200 wrote in post #14031612 (external link)
Honestly I am a little upset with the camera. I'm sure it'll be a great camera with great features, but the things I wanted most are not included in it.

1) I mostly wanted the AF to be much improved. It really seems like it is, BUT!!! I saw in Digitalrev's first impression video that the AF points are still clustered around the center of the frame and not spread out towards the outside more, like a 1D. I am disappoint.

??? the AF are points are a 1D
and they even made the 1DX points farther out than on the old 1D cameras

2) I was excited to hear that there was an increase in frame rate, but only 6fps... I had begun to hope that the 5D3 would get 8fps but alas. Not a huge deal because I'd be using it more for events and landscape photos. Would have been nice though.

I really hoped we'd at least get the 6.9fps of the rumors.
If you sell a 7D then you give up both lotsof reach and fps. If they had gone 30MP,6fps or 22MP,7-8fps then you'd only give up a bit of one instead of both.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:26 |  #158

agreed

although maybe the sensor will turn out to be better than it seems, but the fact that they have yet to mention improved ISO 100 DR and all the samples are NR smeared into oblivion is a bit sad (while OTOH there are already RAW demonstrations (same scene shot with both cams and RAW processing used) showing the D800 is 1.5+ stops better than the D700.)

even the high iso video demonstration between the 5D2 and 5D3 was a mess, sure the 5D3 had wayyyy less noise but it also had wayyy less detail and looked lucky to even match DVD resolution the NR was so over-powering, where is the true 1920x1080 crispness?

anyway it's too early to tell

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 05, 2012 21:52 |  #159

I didn't say "Mookalafalas you are a troll", or anyone else for that matter, nor did I "attack" anyone.

We just disagree on how we feel about the new camera and like you said that is what this thread is for. So I apologize and I have a better understanding of your position.

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 05, 2012 22:01 |  #160

Hogloff wrote in post #14032127 (external link)
Why is it a terrible comparison. Afterall, we buy cameras to take pictures...no? The 5D2 can take amazing photos, I've even taken some myself. From what I have seen of the 5D3, the extra bells and whistles are not worth $2000 more than a 5D2. Others may disagree and are happy to slap down the cash.

I guess it is the same reasoning that I don't purchase a new car every year as they come out with new wizbang features. My car still gets me from A to B...just like a 5D2 can still take amazing photos.

Now if Canon releases a 36mp camera without a filter...then my ears will perk up.

My opinion is that it's a terrible comparison because the same could be said many different products that replace other products. Like you say some people would rather buy a two or three year old car for half the price and still have tons of milage to go. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the new car is not worth the price or features that it has over the older model.

One could buy 3, 2005 PowerMacs for half the price of the current MacPro, but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

I suppose it all comes down to "what you think", just like the title to this thread...

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 06, 2012 00:57 |  #161

wombatHorror wrote in post #14032145 (external link)
??? the AF are points are a 1D
and they even made the 1DX points farther out than on the old 1D cameras

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the AF points don't even go far enough to cover the rule of thirds. They are still fairly close to the center of the frame. I'd like to see it expand even further and take up more of the frame. I wouldn't even care if the points had some gap in between them 61 is a ton of points.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,303 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 06, 2012 07:18 |  #162

I wonder if the point distribution has to do with the size of the secondary mirror. It is much smaller than the primary do to spread out the points, it would have to increase in size. That would mean in increase in body size. Then the AF sensor would have to be bigger as well leading to more size increase.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 06, 2012 08:26 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #163

IMO for the folks wanting to upgrade from the 5DMKII the main advantage will be the improved AF system. The vast majority of my captures were never shot over ISO 800 and along with fine glass the 5DMKII will continue to produce great portrait photos with its simplistic AF system. Of course for the BIF shooters this new 5DMKIII will really be an improvement minus the crop factor and they may find themselves satisfied with a one body do-it-all solution to meet their needs.

So is the extra $1300 or so actually worth it over your present 5DMKII or should you wait for an improved 7D for wildlife, BIF, & just keep your 5DMKII for your portrait & landscape work ?

Regards, Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 06, 2012 13:08 |  #164

nikhilnh wrote in post #14028387 (external link)
Voted overpriced. Not only is the 5D3 overpriced, but almost all of the recent Canon offerings ( 24-70 f2.8 II, 600EX-RT Speedlite, G1X etc ) are overpriced. The new speedlite is more than some of the Rebel's. Canon probably think that they can charge whatever they want to and photgraphers will pay their asking price. I seriously hope that Canon learns this is not true ,the hard way.

The 5D3 may have better AF than 5D2 but when D800 is being offered at $3000, there is no way $3500 is going to stick for a long time. Also the new 5D3 is what the 5D2 should have been.

JeffreyG wrote in post #14031550 (external link)
Hey, I'm happy. I'd like it more at $3000, but the price is not completely nuts. They did indeed give me at least exactly what I have been saying I wanted since the day the 5D2 was announced.

bzollinger wrote in post #14030820 (external link)
It is exactly what people wanted. And most features have been out for a while. The sensor on the other hand is brand new. It may not be a MP monster but for one, I'd rather it be 22MP. Digic 5+ is new as well, and the AF is more advanced than the 7D.

Canon is charging too much for the camera, along with everything else that's new they are releasing. I'm more concerned about 5 years from now...

Oh and I've got two MKIII's on preorder.:)

One key element that I haven't heard much mention of yet is the time factor. The Mark III covers off what people have been asking for...over three years ago.

If one goes back and looks for the wish lists, better AF has been the main ask well before the Mark II was announced. Good AF is table stakes in today's world. 61 point AF is fantastic, but I think people would have been happy with a bit less...just not the old 9 point AF of the 5D.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 06, 2012 15:31 |  #165

bzollinger wrote in post #14031235 (external link)
You guys (Mookalafalas, dave kadolph, and nikhilnh) seriously think that a brand new sensor (have yet to see it's results), Digic 5+, greatly expanded ISO, 61 point AF, 100% viewfinder, slightly improved screen, 6fps, +-5 EV, 2, 3, 5, 7 frame AEB, Multiple exposure, built-in HDR, and dual storage slots, account for nothing more than what the 5Dmkii and/or 7D can do?

I say quit trolling...

I bought a brand new 8mp rebel XT for $995 in 2005--it had 7 AF points--a tiny screen--digic2 processor--a top ISO of 1600--and came with a crappy kit lens.

Today equivalent T3 offers 12mp--9AF points--a 2.7inch screen--digic4 processor--a top ISO of 6400--and comes with a decent IS lens. Above and beyond that it offers live view, automatic sensor cleaning, and the ability to shoot movies at a suggested price of $499 --way better specs for half the price.

I don't call having an opinion based in fact "trolling" :rolleyes:

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links

21,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMIII POLL: What do you think?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.