Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2012 (Friday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "The new 5DMIII is:"
Exceeded my expectations
9.3%
About right
41%
Disappointed
11.1%
Overpriced regardless
38.5%

837 voters, 836 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMIII POLL: What do you think?

LamontSanders
894 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2012 19:35 |  #106

On the fence - would strongly consider it if the DR is truly better than the 5D2 or 1Ds3. AF looks sweet and low-light performance looks to be vastly improved. If the camera has shadow banding then no way in hell - the 5D2 was atrocious.

5DS R | 1Ds Mark III | Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS | Canon 24-70mm F/4L IS | Canon 70-200mm F/4L | Canon 50mm F/1.8 STM | Sigma 24-35mm F/2.0 Art | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 |
flickr (external link) | Old flickr (external link)

sponsored links
LeeDye
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 02, 2012 20:29 |  #107

Poll results are interesting and not very encouraging if this is a reflection of the consumer base. Thinking if it came in at around $3000 folks would be more receptive. Looking forward to solid in depth reviews and of course comparisons against the Nikon D800. Then I will decide if I move on from my 5DM2 and to which.

Canon 5DM2
50mm f/1.4 -:D:D:D:D:D stars, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS :D:D:D:D:D stars, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS :D:D:D:D stars, Canon 24-105mm f/4L-:D:D:D:D:D stars Prior:Canon 50D, 40D,30D,20D, Canon 24-70MM f/2.8-:D:D:D:D stars

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 02, 2012 20:49 |  #108

I am just a lowly crop Rebel shooter at this point but for the next step I am interested in the 5DMiii for the low light performance if it lives up to the billing. I enjoy shooting underwater landscapes which I can do with my Rebel and strobes with good results. Available light UW shooting requires higher ISOs and low noise which I think this camera could deliver. I am dubious of the low light performance of a 36 MP sensor but if it delivers it is worth a look. Regardless, my next dive trip (probably several) will be with the T2i as the cost of the housing and ports for any DSLR typically dwarf the cost of the body.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

gotak
949 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 02, 2012 22:43 |  #109

I voted it's overpriced but I am only waiting for it to drop and for bodies to show up on the used market. Saving up in the mean time as it will mean lens swapping around too...

http://bubble-trees.com/ (external link)
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

Michael ­ Tsao
78 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 03, 2012 03:23 |  #110

over priced and it needs faster FPS

MrNothing
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 03, 2012 04:26 |  #111

trying to be optimistic about the 5D3, i'm hoping its new features will be a major improvement over the 5D2 as i'm now looking into getting a FF body. Price is pretty damn hefty but it'll only be worth it or not once real results are out. That being said I probably won't be going for it as the 5D2 is still a phenomenal even though the AF is lack-luster especially compared to a 1D body. If anything if a 5Dc becomes dirt cheap then I wouldn't mind snatching one or even 1Ds once its become a steal.

Stan_Fox
121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2012 05:29 |  #112

It looks like this might just fit the bill for a good workflow compromise. I have been waiting for my 1DX loaner from CPS to show up, as the thought would be to retire the 1Ds MkIII's and pass along the 5D MkII to my daughter-in-law who has started her wedding business in St. Augustine so she has a matched set. Funny thing, I had purchased the 5D MkII for the specific role of shooting video, and as a great small form-factor back up. At first, I would lament that it didn't have the 1Ds' focusing, or view finder, or weather sealing, or whatever. Then I found myself wanting to use it more than the 1 series....
By improving the weather sealing, adding dual cards (a la 1Ds MkIII) and creating a V grip with a secondary joystick, this might just work to have a pair of them. I see that the shutter is only rated to 150k, versus the 400k of the X, but since being a Platinum CPS, the cost of having one of the shutters replaced (and the rest of the camera gone through) on the 1Ds MkIII was only $120, with free FedEx each way.
I guess I'm looking forward to testing them out! Besides, we've go way too much invested in lenses and Canon gear to consider "doing the switch". It was tough on me when we did migrate over form Olympus to Canon, not only for swapping out the gear, but learning a different system while working on shoots for clients (and not screwing up too bad!).
As an aside, the 18mp of the 1DX was looking quite attractive to me from a work flow perspective. Those TB's add up quickly!

Chief Bottle Washer
www.foxworthystudios.c​om (external link)
www.fromthefox.wordpre​ss.com (external link)
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 03, 2012 09:40 |  #113
bannedPermanent ban

shadowcat wrote in post #14008097 (external link)
After seeing the spec's I'm morw interested in the 1Dx.

Understandable considerable and noteable.
But did you really compare the 1DX to the 4D ???
Compare the 800D to the 5DMK III they are same class but 5DMK III is $500 more.
Compare the 1DX to the 4D they are same class but 1DX is $800 more.
Exchange rates over time have an effect on MSRP
but manufacture cost and manufacture profit are always the greater effects.
It appears the rule of thumb Nikon cost more and Canon cost less has changed.

The Specs, Features, Risk, and Cost of all 4 would drive me more to the 5D MK II
as the wiser choice for at least the next year.
This is funny because the inital release Specs, Features, Risk, and Cost
of the 5D MK II did not impress me over the 5D C.
Late model camera shopping as opposed to new release seems to be my course.
They all take pictures and that is 99 % of whats important.
Depreciation is not important unless you deal in the used cam market and thats
not a good market to be in.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

Dillan_K
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 12:42 |  #114

KCY wrote in post #14004764 (external link)
I'm happy with the released specs, can be patient for the price to settle.

Will wait for real world samples before judging the camera.

You've summed up how I feel about this exactly. Speculating and getting all worked up about a camera that is not yet released does no one any good at all. Also, just be patient. It will get cheaper. I bought my 5D (Classic, as they say) for $1800 Canadian brand new, and it when it was released I remember it was north of $3000 too. I bought it the weekend before the 5D II was released, and I have no regrets. Pay what you think the camera is worth, and enjoy what you have now in the mean time.

Gear: Canon 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 300mm f/4L IS, 5D, Elan 7, 420EX, Metz 52 AF-1
flickr (external link)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 03, 2012 12:51 as a reply to  @ LamontSanders's post |  #115

I guess everyone can agree that this is a phenomenal camera. Its the price point most people are having issues. I'm looking at my 3 month old 5D2 slapped with a fresh 1 week old 50 1.2L and thought to myself "Wow, I can sell these two and I would still be $500.00 short before I can purchase a 5D3" :lol:

gary88
Goldmember
4,010 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 03, 2012 13:09 |  #116

I'm very disappointed at the lack of a direct print button :p

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

Pi_314
365 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 13:31 as a reply to  @ gary88's post |  #117

This camera is obviously overpriced, but Canon has to maximize profit. No doubt they will sell thousands of them at this price point, while protecting the 1DX sales. They keep this price point up until they take in the stragglers waiting for the initial buyers to report their findings. How good those reports are will decide when a price drop will take place. I'm thinking by Christmas, what say you?

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 03, 2012 13:36 |  #118

gary88 wrote in post #14015024 (external link)
I'm very disappointed at the lack of a direct print button :p

I haven't noticed that, are you sure?!?

Not buying it now! :lol:

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 03, 2012 14:02 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

Roroco wrote in post #14005388 (external link)
At $3,500 it makes more sense for me to have a 7D and a 5Dmk2 over this beast. It is just a bit more money and it gives me the flexibility of having the best of both worlds (tech and full frame) in certain situations.

Actually, if you pick up the 5d2 ($1700) and 7d ($1200) second hand, you come out way cheaper than a new 5d3.

ErgoSpacePig
269 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 03, 2012 14:32 |  #120

i voted over priced but i will probably be getting it about this time next year unless the IQ does not meet expectations. i think if it was just under 3k it would be more realistic.

thanks
bob

5D III | 5Dsr | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | EF 35 f/1.4L USM | EF 135 f/2L USM | EF 85 f/1.2L II USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZE
Speedlite 580EX II | Flash Point Streaklight 360 TTL | Feisol CT 3441T | Photo Clam PC-40NS | Domke F4AF pro | Click Elite Escape | Think Tank Airport Takeoff
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

21,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMIII POLL: What do you think?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.