Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2012 (Monday) 21:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d3 Critics...

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 05, 2012 21:06 |  #1

We, Canon Lovers, finally got a camera that has the qualities that many people were ASKING for...now people are criticizing it? Really? The AF IS better, the MP IS better, the Processor IS better(6fps) and you get Dual recording capabilities! What else are you going to ask for? The camera to photograph FOR you? Everyone needs to be patient for REAL examples to appear that've been taken by the professionals who are pre-ordering this beast.

People say its too expensive...it has a $5,000 camera's AF system.
People say the noise won't be "much" better. In reality a +1 stop or +2 stop better is a step in the right direction, correct? Does it not take million's to even figure that out?

We're getting a heavy amount of people looking at very small things, but unless you want to pay $5000+ for a camera, you're not going to get the BEST so why complain???

For $3500 you're going to get a ironclad upgrade for the 5d2, let's be honest.

Call me an idiot for posting this, but I want to B**** about the B****ers.

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

sponsored links
Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:09 |  #2

I agree with you. You can read my thoughts on the 5D3 here (external link): http://blog.soskiphoto​.com …i-game-changer-again.html (external link)

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 05, 2012 21:19 |  #3

No-one can claim that this is better or worse than the 5D MK II or even the iPhone 4s. It could be riddled with faults, poor iso performance etc. It could also be awesome.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/picsbykev/ (external link)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 05, 2012 21:24 as a reply to  @ fitshaced's post |  #4

I think some people are upset because they think Canon has set the price tag a bit high for their budget. But you are correct, on paper this is the camera everyone has been dreaming of and I will definitely get my hands on one as soon as it becomes a bit more affordable.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 05, 2012 21:26 |  #5

I thought a camera over $2000 was bad enough. Make that $1500 more and we're really getting into being poor to get it. I will probably get the new model after selling a few things I don't use and saving for about 8 months. I can't imagine it being worse than my 5D2 because I already love that camera and anything like a 7D-5D2 combo is right by me. No complaints here except the price. I wish it was more like $2800. :) Really, it will probably be worth what you pay for it.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Mar 05, 2012 21:27 |  #6

CSMFoto wrote in post #14032043 (external link)
We, Canon Lovers, finally got a camera that has the qualities that many people were ASKING for...now people are criticizing it? Really? The AF IS better, the MP IS better, the Processor IS better(6fps) and you get Dual recording capabilities! What else are you going to ask for? The camera to photograph FOR you? Everyone needs to be patient for REAL examples to appear that've been taken by the professionals who are pre-ordering this beast.

People say the noise won't be "much" better. In reality a +1 stop or +2 stop better is a step in the right direction, correct? Does it not take million's to even figure that out?

We're getting a heavy amount of people looking at very small things, but unless you want to pay $5000+ for a camera, you're not going to get the BEST so why complain???

Some of the folks who don't like the mix of features in the 5D3 were expecting a different mix and are disappointed by what they see. The good things - that many people feel represent a good mix - aren't what they wanted. Others just grumble about the price, because they always do :D The 5D3 is not enough of an upgrade for me over my 5D2, for the kind of things I shoot and how I shoot. to pay for the upgrade. I'm not bashing the camera, I'll just wait until the MP actually is better - an increase of 1 MP isn't "better". In many ways it's incremental at best. In AF, it seems like a big leap.

My picture galleries (external link)

miguelr
452 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:27 |  #7

I'm so pissed I can't afford it.

Guitarist turned aspiring concert photog.
7D | Σ 10 f2.8 Fisheye | 430EX II x2| ThinkTank Retro 5 | Fuji X10
Site: miguelrphoto.com (external link)

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 05, 2012 21:29 |  #8

Another 5D3 thread?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | Redirected to error image by TINYPIC

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:30 |  #9

Blame Nikon for the criticism

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 05, 2012 21:32 |  #10

i love where they put the quick menu button on this camera :) thats all i got to add...

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:38 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I don't give a (insert word here ___) about the price.

My only concern is the IQ and ISO noise.

If it has not been improved from it's elder brother, I shall smite the 5D3 like I've never smited before, and there is nothing you can do to stop me. Muahaha. ;)

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2012 21:47 |  #12

Honestly, after the sticker shock I feel it is a fair price.

Here is my breakdown:

1.) Flagship AF system, not just the 7D system everybody was hoping for. I don't think people expected the 1DX AF system, I surely didn't.

2.) 6FPS now, exactly what people wanted. More FPS. Perfect amount IMO.

3.) No more MP... And they did exactly that. They kept the same MP and improved on it. I did not want 30+ MP files. 22MP was plenty fine with me. I am very happy they stayed near the same.

4.) Even better ISO performance... Now I know this is still TBD... But I have a feeling with native ISO up through 25,600 that we will see at least a stop, or more in RAW performance.

5.) Duel CF/SD cards... I did not expect this and I find it pretty awesome. My girlfriend has like eight 8GB SD cards that I could use if I ever run out of space on a trip. Or I can write instant small jpeg's for her that she can take right away after a trip. Very cool feature, to me.

6.) Better weathersealing... Another big benefit many people wanted, but now people want to complain its not up to 1D standards, yet I am sure 90% of those people who complain probably never had water touch their cameras. I took my 7D into a downpour and it was just fine. I want to know how many people actually "use" the weathersealing. Its now better then ever, just under 1DX sealing. Good enough for me.

7.) Better LCD... Better chimping features (instant 100% view, etc...) :P

8.) Better video, now with 720 at 60FPS and higher quality in full HD. Easier to use, better interface, etc...

9.) Multi-point microadjust... Very nice.

Honestly looking at all the improvements, the price is not that outrageous. Sure I wish it was $3000 or less, but in the end I plan to have and own this camera for a long time. I was complaining about the price before until I really sat back and looked at the feature set. I think you get a loaded camera with great feature set without paying $7000 for the 1Dx.

I just hope that the camera delivers what is promised. I have no doubt it will.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2012 21:48 |  #13

OP,

I agree. It's crazy how much people criticize and complain.

Bryan

My Gear List

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 05, 2012 21:55 |  #14

CSMFoto wrote in post #14032043 (external link)

bw!.....Totally agree but I got shot down when I raised this very point in another thread.

I will be be buying and promoting it, for those that don't want or like it or prefer Nikon.....GO THERE!!!!

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,457 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 05, 2012 21:56 |  #15

It would have been nice if they allowed removable focus screens but unfortunately its just like the 7D :(

Otherwise the 5dmk3 seems pretty darn good.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

6,486 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d3 Critics...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.