Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2012 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Difinetive 5D Mk II " AF " Thread - Come in please, share.

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 05, 2012 22:00 |  #1

Lets please educate ourselves and share our experiences.

Im not sure where to begin so I will do my best to keep it simple.

A little background first.

Im A terrible photographer. I don't pretend to be good, I don't think what I say holds any weight, thats why I'm on these here forums. I can come here and play OZ.

That being said, I have owned both the 7D and the 5D mk II. Both are great cameras. I have owned good glass and now own rubbish compared to most on here ( I am fortunate enough to have access to glass I could never afford).

That being said lately with the release of the 5D mk 3, " all the sudden there are many complaints and misconceptions" of the AF in the 5D2. Many them from people that have never owned this camera I own and really enjoy. I can't find, for me, any reason to upgrade so this discussion won't go there. But lets discuss the " AF "in the 5D and share your opinions, and end the debate once and for all!!

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

sponsored links
tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 05, 2012 22:21 |  #2

ok since no one will respond in the 30 secs. I have had this up I will go ahead and start.

Yes there can be improvements made to the AF however I don't find myself having that many issues over all. I shoot a wide range of subjects. I would say I'm well diversified in subject excluding macro. Which I have no business doing or wanting to do. That being said I have NEVER had any issues with the 5D2 that I could not blame on user errors. Improper setting or simply trying to do something outside the cameras limits. Even in skateboarding I don't use the the FPS, I didn't on the 7D and I wouldn't on a newer camera. I use about one FPM if that and really try to focus on the composition and technique. As a matter of fact if I need to capture a sequence I will generally use use video. The 5D does an excellent job there as well.

Im not sure where all the complaints are coming from. I know they exist, as I have a few friends that complain everynow and then but nothing compared to what I see on this forum.

Now with the release of the 5D3 all of the sudden the AF in the 5d is Garbage and not good enough for amateurs coming from using a Rebel. I'm not knocking amateurs but lets not confused them. The 5D2 is on every level a professional camera. Professionals use it as thier workhorse. This should suffice for the need to shoot a Birthday party, or pregnant wife for that matter. The Low light capabilities alone are reason to understand that if used correctly, your AF capabilities are now so improved ( form a rebel ) that you can shoot in darkness. This camera is a beast and up until last week it was the best option. Now it is an even better option as the price is within reason for most serious photographers.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 05, 2012 22:31 |  #3

Frankly speaking, the 5D2 AF is and has ever been a joke.
The only way I can use it reliably is using the center focus point only. Even so, I've lost lots of shots of moving subjects (BIF mostly).
For landscapes, it is perfectly fine though, especially if you use Zeiss lenses :p

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 05, 2012 22:39 as a reply to  @ CheshireCat's post |  #4

I personally dont own a 5d2.
However, I do know people on here that have them and have a hard time
getting birds in flight with them.

Its not that the 5d2 CANT get a good shot of a moving whatever. its that your % of keepers is way too low for a $2000+ camera.

as for the FPS, you would use it if you tried it more.
you'd be surprised what 8 fps will get you when you have good AF. LOTS of keepers

However, my opinion is not valid as I do not personally own a 5d2,

Carry on.:cool:

My Flickr (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2012 22:43 |  #5

I only ever use centre focus point so it has never been an issue for me. In fact it is better on centre point than my 50D was. With my 70-200 on it is lightning fast. I really don't see what the problem is that everybody complains about.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

ilumo
Goldmember
1,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 05, 2012 22:48 |  #6

jhayesvw wrote in post #14032687 (external link)
I personally dont own a 5d2.
However, I do know people on here that have them and have a hard time
getting birds in flight with them.

Its not that the 5d2 CANT get a good shot of a moving whatever. its that your % of keepers is way too low for a $2000+ camera.

you'd be surprised what 8 fps will get you when you have good AF. LOTS of keepers

However, my opinion is not valid as I do not personally own a 5d2,

Carry on.:cool:

I dont think it's just the FPS thats the problem with the 5d2, it's the damn shutter lag, and the mirror blackout time. The d800 is going to have ONLY 4 fps, the same as the 5d2, BUT it will have an amazing 42ms shutter lag. That's going to be insanely responsive. that is another gripe I have about the 5d2.

Body: Sony a7R IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 16-35 f/4.0 IS USML USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM | 24mm f/1.4GM | 70-200mm f/2.8GM | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 | Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 05, 2012 22:49 |  #7

jhayesvw wrote in post #14032687 (external link)

I did on my 7D at times. I just don't have much need for it for my type of shooting. making it a non issue on the 5D2 for me.

snakedoc
162 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 05, 2012 23:00 |  #8

Well, I count myself as a virtual 5D2 owner because I use one at work in a variety of situations, ranging from studio/tabletop to documentary/event work. I'll also bring it home from time to time for fun, so I'm very familiar with the camera. I've considered purchasing one for personal use because I do love the image quality and resolution. The one thing I do hate about the 5D2 is the AF. Not enough focus points, hunts like crazy in low light. If anything, it's the low light performance that really gets me--marrying high ISO performance of this camera to its spotty AF performance is like giving it a deliberate handicap. Sure, if you're shooting still subjects in poorly lit environments, you can take your time and wait until the AF gets it right. But if your subject is moving, good luck.

FredF
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 05, 2012 23:09 |  #9

Just joined this forum. I just bought a new 5D Mark ll and looking for some good tutorials on how to learn to use it. learning thru the manuals are pretty tough. Any suggestions? you tube has some but not all that comprehensive. Thanks for your help

FredF
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 05, 2012 23:10 as a reply to  @ FredF's post |  #10

Not interested in video at this time. just still photography.

Damien ­ Jay
56 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 05, 2012 23:34 |  #11

tete wrote in post #14032754 (external link)
I did on my 7D at times. I just don't have much need for it for my type of shooting. making it a non issue on the 5D2 for me.

I think you may have summed it up there.

I think with the improve AF sensitivity and more cross points the 5D III almost becomes a 1Dx lite. Even with its lower FPS.

I think for a lot of guys that like shooting sports, Motor Sports, Aviation and Wildlife but would also like the full frame resolution for portraiture and Landscape are going to love this body. I know all the serious guys shooting fast action will be using other 1D bodies with the crop as it gives their reach a bit of a nudge but surely for someone who has diverse interests will be more than just a little excited. Especially if they can only have one body.

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Mar 05, 2012 23:41 |  #12

CheshireCat wrote in post #14032634 (external link)
Frankly speaking, the 5D2 AF is and has ever been a joke.
The only way I can use it reliably is using the center focus point only. Even so, I've lost lots of shots of moving subjects (BIF mostly).
For landscapes, it is perfectly fine though, especially if you use Zeiss lenses :p

Im no expert or pro or anything, just a dad capturing anything and everything i can. The center point has not let me down yet, anywhere and anytime.

But i managed to get this, cheetah run #1

And this, cheetah run #2

Theres was only 2 runs that day, so if i wanted to redo it, i have to wait for the next day or the next visit. So if got this, In my mind i could do bif too, if only i have some super tele's. It might actually be easier if the bg wasnt so busy, like just plain clear skies in the bg. Shooting thru branches, it might be a problem, then again i havent tried yet so im gonna reserve my judgement on that one.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 06, 2012 00:03 |  #13

^^^ musashi, nice shots.
In some conditions, the 5D center + assist points are ok.
The cheetah run is one of these conditions, where you can pre-lock the subject and then keep it easily covered by the AF points while running toward you. No obstacles, no sudden change of directions, great lighting, great subject contrast.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 06, 2012 06:30 |  #14

same...using it these years had taught us how to reliably use it instead of how reliable it can be. This applies to all stuffs. Given a 1Dx with a light heart and careless technique, you still end up with less keepers.

Gear Stuffs

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Mar 06, 2012 07:23 |  #15

CheshireCat wrote in post #14033187 (external link)
^^^ musashi, nice shots.
In some conditions, the 5D center + assist points are ok.
The cheetah run is one of these conditions, where you can pre-lock the subject and then keep it easily covered by the AF points while running toward you. No obstacles, no sudden change of directions, great lighting, great subject contrast.

Thanks. I would assume bif would be the same, right? I have never done bif with my 5d before. Im assuming i can be done in the right conditions, ie clear blue skies as bg, the bif a little bit bigger in your vf so its easier for tracking, etc.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

sponsored links

6,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Difinetive 5D Mk II " AF " Thread - Come in please, share.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.