Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 07 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beartooth Highway or Chief Joseph Highway ???

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 07, 2012 17:59 |  #1

We will be staying in the Grand Teton Village for 7 days in early June '12.

I want to take a day and drive to Cody, then either drive north into Montana and take the entire Beartooth Highway or take the shorter Chief Joseph drive. Then spend a couple hours late afternoon in eastern Yellowstone return late to Teton Village.

I understand the Beartooth Highway is stunning, but the Chief Joseph Highway appears to be quite scenic as well. My concern is the drive from Teton Villare all the way north into Montana, then taking the Beartooth highway is simply too long of a drive. I have my Teton Village hotel booked so changing hotels is not an option.?

Would love to hear some comments from experienced folks. I talked to many who have visited Yellowstone and G Teon NP's, but I haven't found anyone who has taken either drive.

Lastly, I want to buy a photography field guide book for Yellowstone & the Tetons.
I purchased Lewis Kemper's Photographing Yosemite last year and found that book very helpful. Any recommendations on the best photo field guide book for Yellowstone & the Tetons?

Thank you!

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,260 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 07, 2012 19:35 |  #2

Wow, that would make a VERY long day, whichever way you do it. The Chief Joseph Highway is pretty nice, but Beartooth Highway is spectacular. However, you don't have to give up Chief Joseph to do Beartooth. From Cody, drive north on Chief Joseph to Beartooth. Then drive east to about the Montana border and return, staying on Beartooth into Yellowstone's NE gate and back to Jackson. This route is still roughly 500 miles and mostly not built for speed, especially when stopping for photography. Also, it would be a shame to drive it and not take time for a few hikes and driving a few back roads.

Bottom line, I think Beartooth Highway is one of the most spectacular anywhere and deserves more time than your proposed trip would allow. I've made the loop while staying in Cody, in Red Lodge and West Yellowstone. That last one meant returning in the dark, but was still less distance than your route. No chance of staying a couple nights in Cody or Red Lodge?

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beartooth Highway or Chief Joseph Highway ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.