Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2012 (Friday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Used 5D prices now that 5D3 is announced

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2012 01:49 |  #16

drive_75 wrote in post #14058412 (external link)
5D3 being at $3500, I don't see the 5D2 and 5D drop very much. Especially if Canon decide to stop selling 5D2. But even if Canon continue to sell 5D2, it'll still hover around $1900(my guess) for a new one.

Häakon wrote in post #14058474 (external link)
I think drive_75 is right... there are likely to be more out in the market for sale, but the price difference between all three bodies means the depreciation won't happen as quickly.

That's incorrect. The price is plummeting for the 5d2, as it did with the 5dc when the 5d2 was announced. 5d2's are actually selling for $1600-$1750 now, whereas only 2 months ago they were in the $1750-$2000 range. This is nothing like the 1ds3 situation, where prices skyrocketed with the 1dx announcement. The 5d2 is still available for purchase from canon, AND they have reduced the refurbished price. Everybody and their mother is set to sell off their 5d2's when the 5d3's start shipping--just watch the prices fall. We may be in the $1500 range at the beginning of april.

The 5Dc's are another matter. They're unlikely to fall much, if at all in the next year or two. It's already the cheapest FF body available, which is keeping its price high relative to the older 1Ds mk1.

My Gearlist

sponsored links
andy_dee
153 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 10, 2012 01:53 as a reply to  @ post 14060568 |  #17

New ones didn't really drop much so far.

Used ones always varies around reasonable to ridiculously low. There's 1,200 USD in amazon. And just like all electronics, used item is always a risk.

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 10, 2012 08:11 |  #18

The 5Dc to me is an absolutle steal at $800 where they are today. I personally think they have bottomed out there for at least the rest of this year, unless you see a bunch of MKII owners get desperate and start selling them for $1,200 or some silly number like that. I don't see why anyone who doesn't have a full frame camera doesn't jump on one. If you don't care about video, don't need MASSIVE MP that are just going to fill up your memory card and computer that much faster, and don't need excessively high ISO (say for landscapes) it is an absolute winner. I paid $1,200 for mine two years ago and LOVE it, I could just about super glue it to my 17-40L.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

adivineeternity
335 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 10, 2012 08:35 |  #19

Billginthekeys wrote in post #14061336 (external link)
The 5Dc to me is an absolutle steal at $800 where they are today. I personally think they have bottomed out there for at least the rest of this year, unless you see a bunch of MKII owners get desperate and start selling them for $1,200 or some silly number like that. I don't see why anyone who doesn't have a full frame camera doesn't jump on one. If you don't care about video, don't need MASSIVE MP that are just going to fill up your memory card and computer that much faster, and don't need excessively high ISO (say for landscapes) it is an absolute winner. I paid $1,200 for mine two years ago and LOVE it, I could just about super glue it to my 17-40L.

I seriously agree with this. I am actually looking at what lens I might be able to buy used to pair with a 5Dc and any necessary other things (batteries and CF Cards, primarily, although I wouldn't argue with a grip) so I can figure out if I could actually sell my 60D and 18-135 for enough to cover the cost. I have a flash unit (nothing fancy, just one of those old Vivitar 285HVs), so that is one thing taken care of. I don't care about video capabilities as I have a nice little camcorder and prefer to keep video confined to its own camera, anyway. I have functioned without the flippy screen before and have decided I'm just too spoiled by it, and since I rarely ever use my LCD unless it's for a tough shot or checking framing, I can survive with the 5Dc's LCD, as well. I prefer to shoot street, landscape, night shots, some portraits, and, when I get the chance, travel type stuff, all of which the 5Dc is very nicely suited for and, in some cases, superior.

Basically, I've justified the trade to myself and just have to find the right deal.

I have a flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 10, 2012 09:23 as a reply to  @ post 14060568 |  #20

Previous thread with same questions and same answers, four pages:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1155728

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

saintz
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 13, 2012 08:45 |  #21

The price seems to have slipped even over the few days since I posted. 5Dc prices seem to be pretty varied, but maybe $100 less. $600-$800 instead of $700-$900.

This is pretty simple economics. Regardless of the new retail price of the 5D2 and 5D3, as people buy new gear, they sell old. If they had a 5D2 with 5Dc backup, they sell the 5Dc and the 5D2 becomes the new backup. If they just had a 5D2, they sell that. We'll see more of each model on the used market, and increase in supply means a decrease in price, regardless of the retail prices Canon sets. I'm curious how much lower over the next month or two, though.

Sony A6000 | 18-55 | 16-50 | 50 f1.8

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 13, 2012 08:52 |  #22

saintz wrote in post #14077537 (external link)
The price seems to have slipped even over the few days since I posted. 5Dc prices seem to be pretty varied, but maybe $100 less. $600-$800 instead of $700-$900.

This is pretty simple economics. Regardless of the new retail price of the 5D2 and 5D3, as people buy new gear, they sell old. If they had a 5D2 with 5Dc backup, they sell the 5Dc and the 5D2 becomes the new backup. If they just had a 5D2, they sell that. We'll see more of each model on the used market, and increase in supply means a decrease in price, regardless of the retail prices Canon sets. I'm curious how much lower over the next month or two, though.

Yes, there are definitely price drops when a new generation of gear comes out. Sometimes they are permenant, sometimes they are temporary. Basically hundreds of people decide they want to sell the same product, and at least a few of them are willing to undervalue their gear to have it sell faster than the rest. Also, when Canon offers something as a bundled item, it quickly drops the value of an item (24-105L, pro9000 II printer, 55-250 IS, ect). But then sometimes once those desperate people trying to do anything to sell their old gear or rebate purchased bundle item they never intended to keep go away, the supply goes back down, and the prices return at least part way back to a previous level.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Stan43
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 13, 2012 11:36 |  #23

I have a 5DMK3 on order. I have decided to convert my 5D classic to infra red.

Canon: 5DSr,5Dmk3,1DXmk2 5d MK4,11-24L,35L,70-200 2.8L2,24-105L,24-70L,Sigma 24-105 Art,50 1.4 Art,Tamron SP85 1.8,Tamron SP90 Macro. Zeiss 135 F2 Milvus
Pentax 645Z,90 2.8 Macro,55 2.8,24-48 . Fuji: EX2,XT1,14mm,18-55,56,55-200,Zeis Touit 2.8 Macro

frozenmoments925
520 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 13, 2012 12:28 |  #24

i think I plan to use my 5DC until it DIES.. even without the fancy LCD, AUTO ISO, VIDEO and only 12.1 MP.. I've taken some SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET pictures with it that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

Canon 5D Mark IV / Canon EOS R / Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS Mark II / Canon 24-70L f/2.8 Mark II / Canon 35L f/1.4 / Canon 135L f/2 / Canon 100L f/2.8 Macro / Canon 580 EX II / Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 13, 2012 12:29 as a reply to  @ Stan43's post |  #25

Refurbs are in stock at Canon Direct for the 5DII. It is $1759 which means $1407 on the CLP. Paying more than that for a used model with no warranty at all would be foolish. So I wouldn't give more than $1200 for a used 5DII in pristine condition myself.

BUT there are plenty of fools out there who don't think to look at the CLP option and will pay that and as long as that's the case, you can expect to pay more for a used one. I'm seriously considering one from the CLP but I'm torn between that and a Sigma Bigma for my 7D which with my 1.4X TC and 7D gives me the equivalent of 1120mm in full frame. :_P

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

rayman102
404 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 13, 2012 13:20 |  #26

kfreels wrote in post #14078683 (external link)
Refurbs are in stock at Canon Direct for the 5DII. It is $1759 which means $1407 on the CLP. Paying more than that for a used model with no warranty at all would be foolish. So I wouldn't give more than $1200 for a used 5DII in pristine condition myself.

BUT there are plenty of fools out there who don't think to look at the CLP option and will pay that and as long as that's the case, you can expect to pay more for a used one. I'm seriously considering one from the CLP but I'm torn between that and a Sigma Bigma for my 7D which with my 1.4X TC and 7D gives me the equivalent of 1120mm in full frame. :_P

The refurbished model is great and all but it also have added shipping cost and state tax and the refurbished warranty is only good for 3 months. $16.00 in ground shipping and $150.00 in tax were added to the overall total of $1926.00 if shipped to California.

Used deal from CL if inspected properly can be just as good as a refurbished model and I would not hesitant in buying one if it is in good condition and at a great price like $1700. To go even further, I would advice buying locally only and bringing a laptop and download the EOS Shutter Utility program and get actual Actuation shutter count on the spot.

Canon 5d Mark II / EF 24mm f/1.4 IIL / EF 70-200mm f/4 ISL / EF 16-35mm f/4 ISL / EF 24-70mm f/2.8 IIL

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 13, 2012 13:41 |  #27

I'll be selling my 5Dc for around $700 w/grip + two bats once I get a 5D3 in my hands.
Going to sell my 40D for like $300 w/grip + two bats also.

Selling local hand to hand only. Going to offer $100 off both those prices to my friends first.

So I think a couple people are about to get a pretty good deal once i'm ready!

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 13, 2012 16:34 |  #28

Kechar wrote in post #14079121 (external link)
I'll be selling my 5Dc for around $700 w/grip + two bats once I get a 5D3 in my hands.
Going to sell my 40D for like $300 w/grip + two bats also.

Selling local hand to hand only. Going to offer $100 off both those prices to my friends first.

So I think a couple people are about to get a pretty good deal once i'm ready!

Your friends would be crazy not to take that 5D+grip for $600. That's an awesome deal. I just picked up a 5D for $600 without the grip and thought that I got a great deal.

sponsored links

4,379 views & 0 likes for this thread
Used 5D prices now that 5D3 is announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.