Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another water bubble shot and question

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 10, 2012 22:39 |  #1

Glass with water drops 8 inches above white plate with coins.
Canon 100mm lens
1/200 Second
ISO 320
F/6.3
Flash : 430 EXii at 1/64 power no diffusion on the same level as the background 24 inches away pointed directly at the plate with the coins (Triggered by Cactus V4 wireless system) at the 2 o'clock position.

What do you think of the shot? How do I get the background to be in focus inside the bubbles? More or less distance between water and background? Focus on the reflection and not the bubbles themselves? Thanks.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6971184821_21ef3e11d9.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nate42nd/697118​4821/  (external link)
Water Bubbles B&W (external link) by nate42nd (external link), on Flickr

Here's one with a much smaller aperture. That and the distance between glass and background are they keys. The candy on the white plate is more in focus with the smaller aperture.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6827909356_3377a66977.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nate42nd/682790​9356/  (external link)
Bubbles and Candy (external link) by nate42nd (external link), on Flickr

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 12, 2012 00:32 |  #2

kewl shots

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

OrangeImaging
341 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 12, 2012 00:35 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

love the first. colors are too dull in second

Flickr (external link)
Gear

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 12, 2012 13:00 |  #4

I believe you should be focusing on the reflection....

That second image shows some real promise.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 18:18 |  #5

Pixil Studio wrote in post #14070196 (external link)
kewl shots

OrangeImaging wrote in post #14070211 (external link)
love the first. colors are too dull in second

Thanks for the comments. I think I got the hang of it. A smaller aperture and a little more distance between the glass and the background seems to work.

Titus213 wrote in post #14072590 (external link)
I believe you should be focusing on the reflection....

That second image shows some real promise.

Thanks....i think you are right. Thanks again for the comment.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 12, 2012 18:46 |  #6

I did one of these a few weeks ago using Reese's pieces as the background. I believe most of the how-to images were shown using a macro lens. I don't own one, so I decided to try it with my 50 f/1.8 instead. I manually focused, as auto-focus had a hard time focusing on the transparent water droplets and usually locking onto the candy instead. Exif data is intact, which show's I shot it at f/8. As much as I wiped down the table before hand, I am not sure how or where all the dust and specs came from but they are present nonetheless :(

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img35.imageshac​k.us/img35/3379/img605​1cropped.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 18:54 |  #7

That's a well done shot especially not having the advantages of a macro. Manual focus is needed. I never use AF with my macro lens.

I used "Rain-X" on my glass. It's used for car windshields so the rain will not stick.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 12, 2012 19:23 |  #8

Put a face under the glass - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1049171

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 12, 2012 22:51 |  #9

nate42nd wrote in post #14074561 (external link)
That's a well done shot especially not having the advantages of a macro. Manual focus is needed. I never use AF with my macro lens.

I used "Rain-X" on my glass. It's used for car windshields so the rain will not stick.

Thanks. Yeah, I did use Rain-X, which involved initially cleaning the glass, applying the Rain-X, removing the Rain-X haze by wiping it again, then re-cleaning the glass again. I also needed to spray a few times to get the drops of water the way I wanted them... After all that wiping of the glass, I was really surprised to see all the specs and particles still on the glass when it was said and done. You can't see them nearly as well on the low-res image I posted (though you certainly still can) but they are certainly more prevalent in the high-res version. :( Ohh well, I really only shot a few exposures of it; primarily wanting to attempt doing it just because I thought it looked neat. I'm sure I'll probably do it again later with something else down there... maybe I'll shoot tethered and make sure it's spotless next time :)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 22:56 |  #10

drvnbysound wrote in post #14075888 (external link)
Thanks. Yeah, I did use Rain-X, which involved initially cleaning the glass, applying the Rain-X, removing the Rain-X haze by wiping it again, then re-cleaning the glass again. I also needed to spray a few times to get the drops of water the way I wanted them... After all that wiping of the glass, I was really surprised to see all the specs and particles still on the glass when it was said and done. You can't see them nearly as well on the low-res image I posted (though you certainly still can) but they are certainly more prevalent in the high-res version. :( Ohh well, I really only shot a few exposures of it; primarily wanting to attempt doing it just because I thought it looked neat. I'm sure I'll probably do it again later with something else down there... maybe I'll shoot tethered and make sure it's spotless next time :)

It looks great. Just use the spot removal tool in Picasa, Lightroom, etc.... to remove the little specs. I did that with some of mine. It can help a lot. FYI I shoot RAW. If you don't.....I would give it a try. It makes all this a lot better with no loss of IQ.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 13, 2012 07:05 as a reply to  @ nate42nd's post |  #11

You cannot get the entire water droplet in focus with a single exposure, while maintaining adequate image size, as DOF is a limiting factor. Spend some time using "focus stacking" techniques.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

nate42nd
THREAD ­ STARTER
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 13, 2012 15:53 |  #12

chauncey wrote in post #14077239 (external link)
You cannot get the entire water droplet in focus with a single exposure, while maintaining adequate image size, as DOF is a limiting factor. Spend some time using "focus stacking" techniques.

Focus stacking would be the best way to make one of these look good. Good tip!

sponsored links

1,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another water bubble shot and question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.