Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Mar 2012 (Monday) 09:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II Future Prices (Need Advice)

ImCBParker
893 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 28, 2012 19:36 |  #61

justinp85 wrote in post #14171454 (external link)
and it's going to be interesting to see what price point it will sit at. i am guessing the mark ii will stay in production till that camera comes out.

to return the mark ii sitting next to me is the million dollar question.

If history repeats it is not going to be in production for long. They will likely clean out the current supply and build what they have left in parts. They always say they will not kill it immediately, but within 6 months their older models are gone.

Canon 5DIII, 7D, 40D, 8-14L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 24L, 50L, 85 f1.8, 100L, 135L, 1.4 Extender, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, and too many lights and accessories to list.
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2012 19:44 |  #62

ImCBParker wrote in post #14171524 (external link)
If history repeats it is not going to be in production for long. They will likely clean out the current supply and build what they have left in parts. They always say they will not kill it immediately, but within 6 months their older models are gone.

This is about what I'm thinking too. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5D2 stopped being produced before we even hear about this mythical entry-level crop body that may not even be announced this year.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 28, 2012 20:33 |  #63

Mistabernie wrote in post #14170650 (external link)
Might be announced at Photokina, but won't be available in September, I think we'd be lucky to have it by Xmas time personally. That being said, I'm quite interested in what this could be.

I think it's called the 5D MKII :)

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

thesupe87
305 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 29, 2012 11:53 |  #64

I don't know what it is about refurbs, but they freak me out. I'd rather buy used, something broken in that I know works. I grabbed a 5D mk2 used locally with 23k clicks and a grip, plus extras for around $1500 last week.

Portfolio (external link) | BLOG (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link)
:D Gripped 5D Mark II | 40D | 24-70L | 70-200 f4L | 100L f2.8 Macro | 85 f1.8 | 50 f1.8 | 18-55 IS | (3)B800s | Manfrotto 055XPROB / 496RC2

swinette
173 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 29, 2012 12:00 |  #65

thesupe87 wrote in post #14175200 (external link)
I don't know what it is about refurbs, but they freak me out. I'd rather buy used, something broken in that I know works. I grabbed a 5D mk2 used locally with 23k clicks and a grip, plus extras for around $1500 last week.

I just received my refurb 5Dmkii yesterday, and so far so good. I've purchased refurb Apple products as well, and same deal. Picked up a refurb iPod touch for my son a few years ago, and it's still going strong. Ordered a refurb, 1st gen iPad for my grandma on Sunday. The one thing I prefer about Apple's refurbs vs. Canon's is that Apple still gives you a one-year warranty on their refurbs.

April

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2012 12:08 |  #66

thesupe87 wrote in post #14175200 (external link)

Canon refurbs are usually safer purchases than used. They come with a 3 month warranty from Canon (versus zero warranty usually unless bought from a retailer, and then it's usually only 30 days, if there is even one (KEH gives six months)). Some of the cameras from Canon that are refurbs have never been owned/handled, they simply failed an initial quality check and were pulled from the production line. They are fixed, re-checked, and if they pass, are sold as refurbs and not brand new because of the deviation in the production process.

Long story short, Canon refurbs are almost always a safe bet, and you're taken care of if something goes wrong.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

ImCBParker
893 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 29, 2012 12:20 |  #67

Agree with previous posts. I would take refurbed any day over used, especially factory refurbished items. In many cases, they are items that initially failed inspections, demos, etc. they go out like new for a fraction of the price. Apple and Canon specifically are great with their refurbished items. You would never know it was not new by looking at it.

Canon 5DIII, 7D, 40D, 8-14L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 24L, 50L, 85 f1.8, 100L, 135L, 1.4 Extender, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, and too many lights and accessories to list.
Website (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 29, 2012 12:52 |  #68

ImCBParker wrote in post #14171524 (external link)

Yep You got that right. They said the same thing about the 40D.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 29, 2012 17:46 |  #69

Mistabernie wrote in post #14175263 (external link)
Canon refurbs are usually safer purchases than used. They come with a 3 month warranty from Canon (versus zero warranty usually unless bought from a retailer, and then it's usually only 30 days, if there is even one (KEH gives six months)). Some of the cameras from Canon that are refurbs have never been owned/handled, they simply failed an initial quality check and were pulled from the production line. They are fixed, re-checked, and if they pass, are sold as refurbs and not brand new because of the deviation in the production process.

Long story short, Canon refurbs are almost always a safe bet, and you're taken care of if something goes wrong.

BTW...if you send a refurb in for, say soft focus, Canon sends it back with an additional 6 month warranty (on that issue) and will continue to do so each time you send it in for repair.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

justinp85
252 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2012 19:12 |  #70

i don't get how one can assume a used product from a random stranger is any more safe than a refurbished product from a reputable manufacturer. i started buying refurbished desktops..and i have no problems. bought 2 desktops and laptops from dell business outlet.

i am going to try my luck with some lenses from canon after they stock them.

i haven't bought a used car yet though..haha maybe a certified used one day.

24-105L + 50mm 1.8 + 430EX II

sponsored links

4,885 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II Future Prices (Need Advice)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.