Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 00:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

April 4th

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2012 00:08 |  #1

"Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens"
Estimated arrival date: April 04, 2012

I cancelled my order I made within 1-2 hours of Amazon offering the 5D III as I decided the kit would be a better option. Even if I don't use the 24-105 I know I can sell it and break even for the difference. I kind of regret not keeping the original order as I made this one on March 9th. I suspect the first order would have gone through sooner but at the time I only saw the limited delivery for the body only so I took a chance.

Oh well, an extra week most likely. Really looking forward to it, as I already sold my 7D.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 13, 2012 00:15 |  #2

Not to be negative but I think you'll be waiting longer than that but hopefully not. On Friday B&H already had 10,000 orders, I'm sure amazon had less than that but I'd bet it was still several thousand. I ordered mine the night of the 1st right after it was announced and before B&H sent out their email with links to pre-order it and I'll be surprised if I get it by the second week of April. I dont think it really matters if you ordered the kit or not as they will be in their own seperate boxes but shipped together as long as they have both items in stock. Keep your fingers crossed though, you never know.

julius071
496 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 13, 2012 00:20 |  #3

wookiee2cu wrote in post #14076313 (external link)
Not to be negative but I think you'll be waiting longer than that but hopefully not. On Friday B&H already had 10,000 orders, I'm sure amazon had less than that but I'd bet it was still several thousand. I ordered mine the night of the 1st right after it was announced and before B&H sent out their email with links to pre-order it and I'll be surprised if I get it by the second week of April. I dont think it really matters if you ordered the kit or not as they will be in their own seperate boxes but shipped together as long as they have both items in stock. Keep your fingers crossed though, you never know.

On Friday, the night of the announcement?

Capturing moments one snap at a time.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 13, 2012 00:29 |  #4

On Friday B&H already had 10,000 orders...

:shock:
Seems incredible.
How is this known?

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 13, 2012 00:32 |  #5

Though I'm sure each site got a few thousand orders, we supposably had a Bhvideo sales rep tell someone that they already received 10,000 orders in one day. Seems a bit high and not sure a sales guy would even say how many orders they actually took. I've called BHVideo several times and neither site would even give me a rough estimate. And I'll bet amazon took more orders than both those sites combined.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 13, 2012 00:36 |  #6

Saxi wrote in post #14076279 (external link)
"Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens"
Estimated arrival date: April 04, 2012

I cancelled my order I made within 1-2 hours of Amazon offering the 5D III as I decided the kit would be a better option. Even if I don't use the 24-105 I know I can sell it and break even for the difference. I kind of regret not keeping the original order as I made this one on March 9th. I suspect the first order would have gone through sooner but at the time I only saw the limited delivery for the body only so I took a chance.

Oh well, an extra week most likely. Really looking forward to it, as I already sold my 7D.

I think you'll get yours pretty quick since you ordered it with the kit lens. I think this is the best route to take considering most just bought the body.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,208 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 13, 2012 00:37 |  #7

Wow! These are the best of times for places like B&H Photo, aren't they? High demand + fixed pricing + several new cameras from Canon and Nikon = big big profits!

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 24GM, 12-24G, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 14-24, 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85 | Voigtländer: 12

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2012 00:56 |  #8

10,000 orders? For real or just a random number you threw out there to mean "a lot'?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 13, 2012 01:00 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #9

Early adopters always face some sort of penalty, design changes eventually come through the later production runs, or is this just sour grapes :D

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2012 01:16 |  #10

lannes wrote in post #14076476 (external link)
Early adopters always face some sort of penalty, design changes eventually come through the later production runs, or is this just sour grapes :D

It's really just firmware that changes.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2012 01:31 |  #11

lannes wrote in post #14076476 (external link)

I think the price penalty is the biggest one they face ;)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Jcr918
148 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 13, 2012 01:57 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #12

I hope Amazon updates the 5D Mark III body only so I can figure out when I will get mine

Canon 5D Mark III :) & Canon T3i/24-70mm 2.8/70-200mm IS 2.8 Mark II /2 600ex RT /2 430ex II/

julius071
496 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 13, 2012 01:59 |  #13

Jcr918 wrote in post #14076620 (external link)
I hope Amazon updates the 5D Mark III body only so I can figure out when I will get mine

Yeah, I'm waiting for an update with B&H also. Hopefully soon!!!

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 13, 2012 13:18 |  #14

On Friday, the night of the announcement?

No, Friday the 9th, not the date of announcement (and here in the U.S. it was actually announced Thursday night as it was Friday morning 3-2 at the press conference).

Seems incredible. How is this known?

A forum member phoned B&H to see where they were on the waiting list, the B&H rep was unable to tell them what spot they were but shared the 10,000 figure with him. He was also told they did not know how many units they would get from Canon, it could be 100 or 1,000 so that will also impact shipment dates for all of the pre-orders.

Though I'm sure each site got a few thousand orders, we supposably had a Bhvideo sales rep tell someone that they already received 10,000 orders in one day. Seems a bit high and not sure a sales guy would even say how many orders they actually took. I've called BHVideo several times and neither site would even give me a rough estimate. And I'll bet amazon took more orders than both those sites combined.

I think it was misunderstood, they didn't get 10,000 orders in one day, at that point in time they had accrued 10,000 orders for the camera.

10,000 orders? For real or just a random number you threw out there to mean "a lot'?

See 2nd response.

Last comment I read about the number of pre-orders B&H had was Sunday night/Monday morning and it was 12,000+ for the Canon 5DMIII and I don't know if the caller inquired about the D800 or the rep just provided the number but he was told about 4,000+ pre-orders for the D800. Looks like not everyone was so excited about the D800. I don't say that to knock it as I'm sure it will be a fantastic camera but in reading all the other threads you would think that there would be at least the same amount of pre-orders if not more than the 5DMIII.

julius071
496 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 13, 2012 13:28 |  #15

wookiee2cu wrote in post #14078982 (external link)
No, Friday the 9th, not the date of announcement (and here in the U.S. it was actually announced Thursday night as it was Friday morning 3-2 at the press conference).

A forum member phoned B&H to see where they were on the waiting list, the B&H rep was unable to tell them what spot they were but shared the 10,000 figure with him. He was also told they did not know how many units they would get from Canon, it could be 100 or 1,000 so that will also impact shipment dates for all of the pre-orders.

I think it was misunderstood, they didn't get 10,000 orders in one day, at that point in time they had accrued 10,000 orders for the camera.

See 2nd response.

Last comment I read about the number of pre-orders B&H had was Sunday night/Monday morning and it was over 12,000 for the Canon 5DMIII and I don't know if the caller inquired about the D800 or the rep just provided the number but he was told about 4,000+ pre-orders for the D800. Looks like not everyone was so excited about the D800. I don't say that to knock it as I'm sure it will be a fantastic camera but in reading all the other threads you would think that there would be at least the same amount of pre-orders if not more than the 5DMIII.

WOOHOO, hopefully I get the first ship out!!!

sponsored links

2,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
April 4th
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.