Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 18:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boom & Stand Ideas--

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2012 18:36 |  #1

I have been looking around this forum and it seems that the majority that use booms on location do not use the c-stand type. So since I plan to use on location I was looking into these two options:

Avenger A475B (external link)

Avenger A4039CS (external link)

Any other suggestions, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Using with a 580exII and beauty dish for now but also looking to use my BXRi 500's on it in the future.

What else would be needed to attach the BXRi or 580? Assuming both booms have a 5/8' male screw on the end?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable here on POTN!!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 14, 2012 19:19 |  #2

This one might be a little overkill but it is pro grade and will last a lifetime. What ever you choose I would make sure it has a adj leg for uneven ground.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …CS_Junior_Boom_​Stand.html (external link)

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2012 19:41 |  #3

J Kacey wrote in post #14087674 (external link)
This one might be a little overkill but it is pro grade and will last a lifetime. What ever you choose I would make sure it has a adj leg for uneven ground.

Thanks for the suggestion. That would not be that light to carry around to location shoots. Is there that much of a loss with the A4039 as far as the ability to hold the BXRi's?

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 14, 2012 19:52 |  #4

wizard13 wrote in post #14087798 (external link)
That would not be that light to carry around to location shoots.

Yep, its a beast. I can often use it with no sandbags. Heavy stand does have advanages. You wouldn't want to take it hiking, that's for sure.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2012 19:56 |  #5

J Kacey wrote in post #14087858 (external link)
Yep, its a beast. I can often use it with no sandbags. Heavy stand does have advanages. You wouldn't want to take it hiking, that's for sure.

I definitely understand some of the advantages but was looking to do some outdoor work and that would sometimes involve a bit of hauling this thing. Have you ever used the A4039? Is there that much strength given up to the A4050?
Thanks for your input!

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 14, 2012 20:16 |  #6

I haven't used the A4039. Not even sure it has a full 5/8 baby pin to accept a avenger E 700 drop down pin.
Avenger makes smaller pro quality combo stands than mine. It all comes down to what you limit yourself attaching to it. If your happy with only using a small modifier you should be fine.
There is not much mine can not support. It has a full size pin for the drop down pin and has adj leg. It's a little heavy for what your looking for. If you go to B&H site and search avenger combo stand many pro quality ones will come up.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2012 21:04 |  #7

J Kacey wrote in post #14088017 (external link)
I haven't used the A4039. Not even sure it has a full 5/8 baby pin to accept a avenger E 700 drop down pin.
Avenger makes smaller pro quality combo stands than mine. It all comes down to what you limit yourself attaching to it. If your happy with only using a small modifier you should be fine.
There is not much mine can not support. It has a full size pin for the drop down pin and has adj leg. It's a little heavy for what your looking for. If you go to B&H site and search avenger combo stand many pro quality ones will come up.

Thanks for all the info!

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 15, 2012 02:27 |  #8

J Kacey wrote in post #14087674 (external link)

I own one, and I can't imagine hauling that around for location work. Way too big for 99% of the work that I'd be shooting on location. Obviously, that's just me...but I don't say this because I'm small/wimpy (5'10" 230lbs).

wizard13 wrote in post #14087798 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestion. That would not be that light to carry around to location shoots. Is there that much of a loss with the A4039 as far as the ability to hold the BXRi's?

A4039CS is my go to location work stand (and I shoot a *lot* of location fashion work) Heavy enough to negate sandbags sometimes, sturdy enough to hold any modifier I've thrown at it (including the El Octa), and bombproof enough that it'll last you forever. Imho, this is the location stand for you.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 15, 2012 07:52 |  #9

Cathpah wrote in post #14089383 (external link)
I own one, and I can't imagine hauling that around for location work. Way too big for 99% of the work that I'd be shooting on location. Obviously, that's just me...but I don't say this because I'm small/wimpy (5'10" 230lbs).

A4039CS is my go to location work stand (and I shoot a *lot* of location fashion work) Heavy enough to negate sandbags sometimes, sturdy enough to hold any modifier I've thrown at it (including the El Octa), and bombproof enough that it'll last you forever. Imho, this is the location stand for you.

Thanks for the input! I was hoping someone with both would chime in.

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 15, 2012 13:02 |  #10

Cathpah wrote in post #14089383 (external link)

Does it have a full size pin? Hard to tell.... Doesn't look like it in the image but appears to be replaceable.

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/611471.jpg

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 15, 2012 18:06 |  #11

The B&H image is incorrect - here is a better example. http://www.saeki.co.kr …=1002000117&PRO​DUCT_SIZE= (external link)

FYI - B&H is expecting shipment on the 16th, based on the site. These things are sold out everywhere. IF B&H gets them instock and you want it, buy,buy,buy or wait,wait,wait!

The POTN member 'silvrbullet' used to have several online, but they have been removed. There's one left if you search flickr for 'a4039cs'...

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 15, 2012 18:38 |  #12

MrScott wrote in post #14093380 (external link)
The B&H image is incorrect - here is a better example. http://www.saeki.co.kr …=1002000117&PRO​DUCT_SIZE= (external link)

FYI - B&H is expecting shipment on the 16th, based on the site. These things are sold out everywhere. IF B&H gets them instock and you want it, buy,buy,buy or wait,wait,wait!

The POTN member 'silvrbullet' used to have several online, but they have been removed. There's one left if you search flickr for 'a4039cs'...

Thanks for the picture. I have seen they are coming on the 16th. Where are you finding them available on Flickr? When I search I just get pictures of the boom or pictures that used the boom?
Thanks--

kenbong
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 15, 2012 19:15 |  #13

J Kacey wrote in post #14091760 (external link)
Does it have a full size pin? Hard to tell.... Doesn't look like it in the image but appears to be replaceable.

I'm pretty sure it has a full size pin - I have the A4039CS with a D700 drop down pin and it locks on no problem. For a combi-boom, it's surprisingly heavy. I've boomed a large PCB softbox/Einstein, Elinchrom RX600/Deep Octa, and yes, even a 22" Kacey Beauty reflector ;)

If you have it extended all the way, you might need some sandbags, but for the most part, you can probably get away without it in a pinch.

sponsored links

2,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Boom & Stand Ideas--
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.