Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 21:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help with lighting white backgrounds

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2012 21:23 |  #1

I'm not happy with the lighting in these and I don't know which way to go. The skin tones just seem to have a really weird look to me, I don't even know how to describe it. Am I lighting this wrong or needing something else in post?

Exif is inbedded in the first one and I used a speedlight camera left at 1/2 power flagged for background only and another one at camera right 1/4 power with a white sheet between it and the subject.

First is sooc, second is after post.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sponsored links
THE ­ Phreak
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 14, 2012 21:25 |  #2

Your second pic seems to be compressed too hard. reupload?

1D classic | 50mm 1.8 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 270ex flash

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2012 21:40 |  #3

I'm working on it. LR and it's 'limit to file size' option is battling me right now for some reason...

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2012 21:46 |  #4

fixed

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 15, 2012 00:21 |  #5

The top and left corner of the stool are merging with the background. That's your first clue that the background is over-lit. The same thing is happening under the child's left arm and on the right side of his face. The highlights on his face have no detail and his eyes are too dark.

You've just over exposed the entire shot, blown out the background and the skin.

Your exif lists white balance as manual. Where have you set the white point ?

Did you shoot a color checker or gray card ?

PCthug
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 15, 2012 00:49 |  #6

K.C. wrote in post #14089122 (external link)
The top and left corner of the stool are merging with the background. That's your first clue that the background is over-lit. The same thing is happening under the child's left arm and on the right side of his face. The highlights on his face have no detail and his eyes are too dark.

You've just over exposed the entire shot, blown out the background and the skin.

I agree.

You need to look at the background and subject as 2 seperate things. Set your flash power for your background so its nice and white but not just blown (dont just crank your power up), then expose your subject.
The chair has a lot of bounce back flash, showing that there is too much light on the background.

Equipment: Canon 5d mkIII, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 70-200L f2.8 mkII, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 430EX Flash.
www.durhamphotographic​s.co.uk (external link)

JackSw1ss
356 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2012 02:15 |  #7

Dude, BG's in order to be blown out correctly should be about at a light ratio of 2:1...you don't need to blast them as hell, just twice as light or otherwise you'll end up with what you got here.
so 2:1 ratio, twice as light as the key light and you'll end up with white BG without blowing out everything

cheers and hope this helps

PS: I was doing your same mistake but after that I started doing it right with some advice from around here and got it right ;)

flickr (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 15, 2012 09:05 |  #8

K.C. wrote in post #14089122 (external link)

Not sure why it says manual, I used the flash preset on my camera. Maybe because I warmed it up a bit in post. No grey card or color checker, I am shooting from the hip for the time being.

PCthug wrote in post #14089190 (external link)
Set your flash power for your background so its nice and white but not just blown...

JackSw1ss wrote in post #14089367 (external link)
Dude, BG's in order to be blown out correctly...

So do I want it blown or not blown? I was trying to blow it thinking that I didn't want any detail or a light shade of grey, just pure white. I am not using seamless so any visible detail is going to be a bad thing.

Thanks for the comments so far...

juggy4805
230 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 15, 2012 10:09 |  #9

JackSw1ss wrote in post #14089367 (external link)
Dude, BG's in order to be blown out correctly should be about at a light ratio of 2:1...you don't need to blast them as hell, just twice as light or otherwise you'll end up with what you got here.
so 2:1 ratio, twice as light as the key light and you'll end up with white BG without blowing out everything

cheers and hope this helps

PS: I was doing your same mistake but after that I started doing it right with some advice from around here and got it right ;)

I'm learning about lighting ratios and since he had backkground light at 1\2 and key light at 1\4 is that not a 2:1 ratio since it is one stop less? Or could different brand speedlights or distance to subject make that irrelevent.

flickr (external link)
Twitter (external link)

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 16, 2012 01:39 |  #10

Dustin Mustangs wrote in post #14090372 (external link)
Not sure why it says manual, I used the flash preset on my camera. Maybe because I warmed it up a bit in post. No grey card or color checker, I am shooting from the hip for the time being.

Hmmm, maybe you didn't have it set as you intended. It wouldn't say manual unless it was set to manual.

Dustin Mustangs wrote in post #14090372 (external link)
So do I want it blown or not blown? I was trying to blow it thinking that I didn't want any detail or a light shade of grey, just pure white. I am not using seamless so any visible detail is going to be a bad thing.

In reality you don't want anything 'blown out,' including backgrounds. To create a clean white you want .75 to 1.0 stops above a spot exposure reading on an 18% gray card.

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2012 09:25 |  #11

juggy4805 wrote in post #14090703 (external link)
I'm learning about lighting ratios and since he had backkground light at 1\2 and key light at 1\4 is that not a 2:1 ratio since it is one stop less? Or could different brand speedlights or distance to subject make that irrelevent.

Even if he had the power of the lights set to 2:1 respectively, that doesn't mean the light was laying on the surfaces in those ratios. Distance to subject (inverse square mumbo jumbo) comes into play here. If the light were 2:1, but the BG light was twice as close to its intended subject as the main to its subject, then the ratio would be 4:1, no?

Metering at the subjects, independently, is the best way to ensure these ratios.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

JackSw1ss
356 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 16, 2012 09:28 as a reply to  @ Kechar's post |  #12

juggy4805 wrote in post #14090703 (external link)

Maybe it could have been but the distance of the light/subject and relative distance matters alot too...best way to be sure to be at a 2:1 ratio is to meter it...you put your lights and subject ready to shoot and you meter to achieve 2:1 ratio, adjust lights to the need (eventually) and start shooting ;)

hope this helps

flickr (external link)

JackSw1ss
356 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 16, 2012 09:29 |  #13

Kechar wrote in post #14096692 (external link)
Metering at the subjects, independently, is the best way to ensure these ratios.

here you go juggy...what he says bw! (exactly what I posted yet ooops, should have read through the thread LOL)

flickr (external link)

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2012 10:23 |  #14

Try shooting the background without a subject at low power upping it until it is an even white, then add your subject and key light.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,331 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2012 18:43 |  #15

For a white background, you need its reflective brightness to meter about 2.3-2.5EV brighter than a reading taken (at subject position) with an 18% gray card or incident meter. Brighter than that and you run the danger of flare and poor subject definition caused by flare.

In the photos posted, the subject is clearly too close to the background, as light is coming off the background and falling onto the subject. Not good, even if there is no flare (which there is).

A mistake of all too many amateurs is to position the subject much too close to the background. The ramifications of doing this are worsened with high key backgrounds.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help with lighting white backgrounds
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.