Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 14:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Card Readers-Top 10

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Mar 24, 2012 21:07 |  #61

I have a Sandisk ImageMate that I have used for more years than I can remember. It is USB 2 and is quite slow, but it just keeps working. It is the number 1 CF card reader that I use and will right up until it dies. :)

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links
Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 25, 2012 06:26 |  #62

Damian75 wrote in post #14144074 (external link)
I will let you know, if they release thunderbolt ones I might part with the FW ones.

I don't think that is likely but if it does happen, I won't want the Firewire readers any more either. For me, speed of transfer of large numbers of file is a big plus. Alongside reliability.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2012 10:32 |  #63

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14148973 (external link)
I don't think that is likely but if it does happen, I won't want the Firewire readers any more either. For me, speed of transfer of large numbers of file is a big plus. Alongside reliability.

My understanding is there are a couple in the pipeline and should be out sometime this summer. I love thunderbolt I like being able to dock my MBP with one cable and the speed on the pegasus raid is crazy fast. Daisy chained to the 27" thunderbolt display I get my display, ethernet, and storage all from one connection.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 25, 2012 10:42 |  #64

Simon_Gardner wrote in post #14118005 (external link)
I used to. That is my G4 Macbook had a PC Card/CardBus slot [6] in the side into which I had installed a Compact Flash reader.

QUOTED IMAGE

Yep, back in the day when cardbus was still a popular format most laptops had a slot like that. I still have one of those readers and it was quicker than anything I've seen up to this day, but I havent tried USB3 yet.
My current MacBook Pro only has a SD card slot, useless to me because I don't use SD cards.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2012 09:11 |  #65

Damian75 wrote in post #14149739 (external link)
My understanding is there are a couple [of Thunderbolt card readers] in the pipeline and should be out sometime this summer.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …er/2_original_t​humbup.gif (external link)

Can’t wait. I just had to upload 800 RAW files in mid shoot of a Passerine via Firewire 800 and they took 6 minutes which is 5½ minutes too long in my book.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 20, 2012 06:31 |  #66

Just picked up an extra Lexar Firewire 800 reader for £49.99 [US$79.11]. It works perfectly.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 20, 2012 06:46 |  #67

I did not see any reference to any of them being UDMA 7 compliant. My Lexar USB 3 Dual-Slot Reader is UDMA 7 compliant. For now, that may only matter to folks who shoot with 5DIII or 1DX as those bodies can do UDMA 7. But UDMA 7 will likely creep into the next generation of 7D.

In any case, I would not spend money on a reader that is not UDMA 7 or where the maker has not posted firmware upgrades to UDMA 7.

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 20, 2012 06:56 |  #68

MCAsan wrote in post #14458236 (external link)
I did not see any reference to any of them being UDMA 7 compliant. My Lexar USB 3 Dual-Slot Reader is UDMA 7 compliant. For now, that may only matter to folks who shoot with 5DIII or 1DX as those bodies can do UDMA 7. But UDMA 7 will likely creep into the next generation of 7D.

In any case, I would not spend money on a reader that is not UDMA 7 or where the maker has not posted firmware upgrades to UDMA 7.

The 7D is already UDMA 7 compliant with a firmware upgrade. http://www.lexar.com …day-are-udma-7-compatible (external link)

The Canon EOS 7D, EOS 50D, EOS 1D Mark IV and the EOS 5D Mark II can be UDMA 7 enabled though a firmware upgrade.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 20, 2012 10:28 |  #69

msowsun wrote in post #14458256 (external link)
The 7D is already UDMA 7 compliant with a firmware upgrade.

I can't remember exactly when I did the Firmware upgrade to 1.2.5 but it's been out for over a year.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …1/Simon_Gardner​/clap6.gif (external link)

hockeyplaya13
247 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 21, 2012 12:45 |  #70

Does anyone use a card reader installed in a hard drive bay? I have an extra 5.25" bay available and want to put in a card reader since I perpetually lose my external ones. I'm a college kid so my living situation changes yearly, and keep managing to lose small electronic trinkets in the process. I've got a desktop that I use for photo editing and would rather just have the card reader always right there. I realize I could just Google this and find a list of products, but I'm curious to know if anyone has used any and has a particular recommendation.

Canon 40d: EF-S 18-55mm: EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS: EF 50mm f/1.8: 430ex

http://scottthompson.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)
Indiana University 2013- Kelley School of Business
Finance/Accounting/Eco​nomic Consulting

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 21, 2012 13:55 |  #71

hockeyplaya13 wrote in post #14463724 (external link)
Does anyone use a card reader installed in a hard drive bay? I have an extra 5.25" bay available and want to put in a card reader since I perpetually lose my external ones. I'm a college kid so my living situation changes yearly, and keep managing to lose small electronic trinkets in the process. I've got a desktop that I use for photo editing and would rather just have the card reader always right there. I realize I could just Google this and find a list of products, but I'm curious to know if anyone has used any and has a particular recommendation.

My experience is they tend to not work for very long. No idea why that is, but I gave up on the built in readers. Your mileage may vary.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 22, 2012 10:03 |  #72

You used to be able to find internal card readers for sale at Newegg. They may even have ones that connect to USB 3 headers.....but more likely to slow USB 2.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

May 22, 2012 17:57 |  #73

Last PC I built I picked up a multi reader at Fry's Electronics. It fits a 3 1/2 in bay.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,314 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 24, 2012 18:31 |  #74

ben_r_ wrote in post #14092586 (external link)
Yea I dont think that list means anything. Based on what criteria did they chose any of those readers? What program did they use for speed tests? What all other readers did they test? Id say that link is pretty much worthless.

I didn't see any speed tests!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,895 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

May 24, 2012 21:16 |  #75

I use the Lexar Pro USB 3.0 supports UDMA 7

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links

10,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Card Readers-Top 10
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.