Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first car photoshoot

simpy
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 15, 2012 19:25 |  #1

hey guys, new to the forum
just took a couple snaps of my friends car

would like some constructive criticism/feedback
more photos in my flickr aswell, dont be afraid to hit me harshly.
willing to learn :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

tiltishiftdc5 (external link) by simpson.tien (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9909 (external link) by simpson.tien (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9830 (external link) by simpson.tien (external link), on Flickr

Full set : http://www.flickr.com …n/sets/72157629​195529462/ (external link)

Criticism on car/pictures are welcomed.

Canon 5dm2

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 15, 2012 21:09 |  #2

Not to bad. My buggest nit pick is there needs to be more light on the camera side of the car.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 15, 2012 22:42 |  #3

A quick comment on number one. tilt shift can be awesome, And i understand what you are trying, but the car is just too small in the scene. the sky looks a little fake as well. A tighter crop is needed.

The second shot is the best, but again a tighter crop would help.

Welcome to POTN. There is so much information here, have fun tryiny to read it all :)

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 16, 2012 01:19 |  #4

I have the canon t1 same camera as your camera.... so I looked at your flicker account and pretty much saw the same things... If your shooting a car try to isolate it from all the stuff around it, if you have a poor background. get down and shoot kneeling or look for better backgrounds...but lets talk about where you were at....throw your 1st shot away any time you shoot down at an object you make look like a toy in your case a hot wheel....the second needed cropped, in the position you have the car......you have trash on the drivers side and a sign....and a chain on the other side. parking lines in front of the car.... so I did a quick chop for you....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

had you moved the car straight back into the large paved area we would not being having this conversation. Same goes for shot 3 chain link rarely looks good in a shot...or shipping containers.

as for the rest of your flickr account go back through and ask yourself what was I trying to capture and say with each photo.... is the shot worth saving by editing out un-wanted details.. if not throw it out.... Learn to self edit...also if your going to shoot more cars hangout in a magazine isle and look through car mags and look how shots are lit and composed...lots of places on the net to tell you how to light your shots... here is a good tips link for you http://www.carphototut​orials.com …st_outdoor_car_​shoot.html (external link)

Looks like your shooting in raw and converting to jpegs which is good....with your camera shooting straight jpegs is only 72dpi.....and degrade with editing... also make sure your picture style is set to neutral.
email me if you have questions...

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 16, 2012 02:29 |  #5

stanclark wrote in post #14095379 (external link)
I have the canon t1 same camera as your camera.... so I looked at your flicker account and pretty much saw the same things... If your shooting a car try to isolate it from all the stuff around it, if you have a poor background. get down and shoot kneeling or look for better backgrounds...but lets talk about where you were at....throw your 1st shot away any time you shoot down at an object you make look like a toy in your case a hot wheel....the second needed cropped, in the position you have the car......you have trash on the drivers side and a sign....and a chain on the other side. parking lines in front of the car.... so I did a quick chop for you....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

had you moved the car straight back into the large paved area we would not being having this conversation. Same goes for shot 3 chain link rarely looks good in a shot...or shipping containers.

as for the rest of your flickr account go back through and ask yourself what was I trying to capture and say with each photo.... is the shot worth saving by editing out un-wanted details.. if not throw it out.... Learn to self edit...also if your going to shoot more cars hangout in a magazine isle and look through car mags and look how shots are lit and composed...lots of places on the net to tell you how to light your shots... here is a good tips link for you http://www.carphototut​orials.com …st_outdoor_car_​shoot.html (external link)

Looks like your shooting in raw and converting to jpegs which is good....with your camera shooting straight jpegs is only 72dpi.....and degrade with editing... also make sure your picture style is set to neutral.
email me if you have questions...

The OP does not have image editing permission enabled. Please don't edit and post someone else's work without permission.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 16, 2012 10:14 |  #6

Woolburr wrote in post #14095528 (external link)
The OP does not have image editing permission enabled. Please don't edit and post someone else's work without permission.

Good point. We allow some slack in "Critique", but simpy should enable editing in his User Prefs if he wants help in other areas of the forum.
It also would be OK if the editor just posted a link to the edited image.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

megawatz
124 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 16, 2012 11:27 |  #7

My eye trains to the blurred clouds in the first photo

The second one looks to have too many similar colors, with the car being white, the ground being a greyish, and then the sky clouds, but my eye first spots the car, which is good. I would try removing some of the sky and cropping to get a better POV for the car.

The third photo, I feel the same about cropping some of the sky out, it will (again) give the car a better POV. I just had my car on a thread here and had some of the same issues. Good luck, and keep shooting!

Gear List
5∞px (external link)
My DIY dSLR Rigs Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

stanclark
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 16, 2012 23:06 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote in post #14096927 (external link)
Good point. We allow some slack in "Critique", but simpy should enable editing in his User Prefs if he wants help in other areas of the forum.
It also would be OK if the editor just posted a link to the edited image.

I probably should have posted a link.....oops....I would hope that if I posted a critique photo regardless of my status that someone would edit it make comments or suggestions.

So if God made Man & Woman....whats his excuse for Nikon...

simpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2012 21:41 |  #9

Thanks a lot for all the critique guys ! I will take them into consideration when editting/shooting,

and my bad about the photo editing option, I didn't know it existed, it is on now so hopefully it's all good.

Canon 5dm2

stumbows
376 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 27, 2012 21:01 |  #10

Because the wheels are naturally dark and being on the opposite side to the light source reflectors on to the wheels would have worked really well in the shot I think.

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 28, 2012 12:04 |  #11

#1 is your best take. Im not sure why you make it look like a micro-machine, but it's different, and the more I look at it, it grows on me.

The other takes aren't that great. Clouds distract me as does the graffiti and background of the crappy buildings.

I've been telling this to people in the critique forum to ask yourself questions. WHY did I include the buildings? WHY is there street signs? Does it help convey a stronger photograph? Could I have approached it in a different way to give a more dramatic effect?

For example in #2, I might have gotten low to the ground where that yellow line was in a sense pointing in the direction of the car. Give it some leading lines TOWARDS the car to create some sort of motion, cut out the sign & chain behind the car as it serves no purpose other than to say hey, you can't come passed here. Has no real relation to the car IMO.

I hope this helps and I wasn't too harsh! :-)

CSM

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

sponsored links

2,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
first car photoshoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.