Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using flashlight as fill light

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2012 20:03 |  #1

This might be a very silly question, but I am considering buying a good flashlight with
1) adjustable brightness
2)relatively neutral illumination
3) most "diffuse" and even lighting
to use as both flashlight and fill light for both portraits and night photography.

Is there such things that exists?

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,914 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2012 20:16 |  #2

No flashlight will ever be designed to provide evenness of illumination across the field of light. Most have noticeable hot areas easily distracting to the eye. Color balance also is not going to be 'daylight'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 18, 2012 20:26 |  #3

It sounds like you might want to look into getting an led light panel. They can be mounted on a hot or cold shoe, and give you continuous, daylight balanced light. Some even double as strobes. They are designed for video, but it sounds like they would work will for what you are talking about.

Something like these:

http://www.amazon.com …-keywords=photo+led+lig​ht (external link)

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 18, 2012 22:42 |  #4

Actually if you check out Fenix lights you will find they have multiple models with warm white tints for better photoimaging. oh they are LED. Suggest you visit the Candlepower forum, it is a flashlight forum.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

shoenberg3
THREAD ­ STARTER
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2012 22:57 |  #5

mltn wrote in post #14109737 (external link)
It sounds like you might want to look into getting an led light panel. They can be mounted on a hot or cold shoe, and give you continuous, daylight balanced light. Some even double as strobes. They are designed for video, but it sounds like they would work will for what you are talking about.

Something like these:

http://www.amazon.com …-keywords=photo+led+lig​ht (external link)

That looks great but if possible, it would be great if they can be given double duty as flashlight for hiking in the dark -- but that doesn't seem too practical with those.

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,167 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 18, 2012 23:07 |  #6

shoenberg3 wrote in post #14110703 (external link)
That looks great but if possible, it would be great if they can be given double duty as flashlight for hiking in the dark -- but that doesn't seem too practical with those.

And if they could do triple duty as a distress signal..

And quadruple duty as a pointer...

And... Gosh, be reasonable!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 19, 2012 12:31 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #7

I used my EDC flashlight as a "fill light" the other night

It was a Sunwayman V10R TI flashlight, which has infinitely variable brightness, and I just dialed it up enough to get the reflectors on the side of a police vehicle to light up a little bit (I was at something like 1/50 f2.8 12800iso, so didnt need much light at all, and the constant light helped focus too)

I have also used my Maxabeam to fill shadows at a fire scene at night (50ish metres away from the roadblock, but that is a kinda specialty searchlight, not a normal carry light.

Some of the new flashlights are amazing In terms of output, and colour.
I have a light that is 1000 lumens has a very floody even beam, and is around 4500k
I have used it for photos, normally just to fill shadows or light up reflectors to help focus in the dark.

I have used it as a primary light source for one job i remember though, bounced into a big industrial bin to illuminate a "dumpster diver"

Have a look at Candlepowerforums - there is a lot of information there, and the crew are just as helpful and friendly as POTN
Personally I would look for an infinitely variable output light, as you can then easily dial the light level up to what you need

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Windsun33
138 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 19, 2012 12:42 |  #8

These (external link) work much better than a flashlight, though they obviously won't work as well as something a bit more professional. Color balance can be a bit odd with some LED's, but that one seems to be close to daylight.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 70D | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Speedlite 600EX-RT

JS_280
36 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 19, 2012 12:57 |  #9

Zebralight H501w (external link)

Gives you a neutral tinted light with multiple brightness levels and has a completely flood beam with no discernible hotspot.

Canon 5D MKIII Gripped | Canon T3i Gripped | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC | Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II | Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 M42 | Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 M42
Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 M42 | YN-565ex | YN-560 II | LumaPro LP160 | Cactus V5 (x4)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 19, 2012 22:13 |  #10

I've used a Kell penlight to help light a telephone in a Bell Telephone commercial ( remember them) we were in a lighthouse at night and I had a small fresnel light (inky) coming from behind and wanted just enough light on the front to see the dial. I asked my camera assistant if I could use his Kell penlight, you can kind of focus it aid and spot. I taped some toilet paper loosely across the front to make it softer and had him hold it on the dial as a hand reached into the scene to pick up the receiver. After that I always carried one of my own in my meter case, just in case!

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links

5,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using flashlight as fill light
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.