Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 20:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should be my next lens?

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2012 20:35 |  #1

Hello,

I'm a newb. Got into photography a couple of months ago. My gear is Canon Rebel T3i w/18-55 kit lens, 55-250mm, and the 50mm 1.8. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson was amazing and I can now take better pictures not only with the Rebel but with my P&S and even my cell phone. I'm taking an evening photography class but honestly so far I've learned more from Bryan's book than from the class.

I'm traveling to Florida in a few weeks and have the "itch" to get a new lens. I plan to take as many types of pictures as possible when I go down there (landscape, portrait, evening, indoor, beach :shock:, etc). I understand my consumer-level lenses take good shots (the 50mm takes excellent shots as we all know), but part of me wants to step things up a bit, if you can relate.

I've been scouring reviews, blogs, etc for weeks, trying to make up my mind. Deep inside I know I want to eventually get 24-105 f/4L, but I'm also very interested in the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-VC) which I hear it's great. Another part of me is considering a wider prime lens because I really enjoy taking pictures with my 50mm prime.

What would you guys do if you were me?

a) Get the 24-105
b) Get the 17-50 Tamron and box up the 18-55 kit lens
c) Get a wider prime (30mm or wider)
d) Stick to what I have for now
e) None of the above (insert suggestion)

Thanks in advance, everyone.

AJ

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2012 20:40 |  #2

Don't buy a thing just yet. Use the equipment you have until you KNOW what lens you need to get the pictures your present lenses cannot produce. It is very foolish to spend money when you have no idea what you need; the odds of it being a waste of money are just too high.

Shoot lots of pictures. Pay attention to when you run into the limits of the lenses you own. If you find any consistent limits that are hindering your photography, come back and talk about how to solve those specific problems, but asking on a photography forum about how to spend your money is not a very good idea. Everyone will tell you what THEY think they would need for THEIR photography, and you will end up spending money on something THEY might use. You need to learn what YOU need before you open your wallet.

AvailableLight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2012 20:46 |  #3

rral22 wrote in post #14109841 (external link)
Don't buy a thing just yet. Use the equipment you have until you KNOW what lens you need to get the pictures your present lenses cannot produce. It is very foolish to spend money when you have no idea what you need; the odds of it being a waste of money are just too high.

Shoot lots of pictures. Pay attention to when you run into the limits of the lenses you own. If you find any consistent limits that are hindering your photography, come back and talk about how to solve those specific problems, but asking on a photography forum about how to spend your money is not a very good idea. Everyone will tell you what THEY think they would need for THEIR photography, and you will end up spending money on something THEY might use. You need to learn what YOU need before you open your wallet.

What you say makes perfect sense. I appreciate it, rral22!

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

898 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should be my next lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.