Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 21:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recreating another photographer's photo?

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 18, 2012 21:01 |  #1

I recently saw a photo for sale in a local frame shop/gallery that I really like. It is an architectural-type of photo that was taken locally. My first thought was that I'd really like to try to do something similar for my own use. At most, I might frame it and hang it in my house. I'd never try to sell it. I know that legally I can take such a photo. But would I be crossing any kind of ethical boundary in doing so?

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,539 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 18, 2012 21:09 |  #2

Ethics are artificial and vary from person to person. That's why there are laws. I would go ahead and do what you gotta do.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 18, 2012 21:49 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #3

Go for it.

As a technical exercise there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're proposing.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 18, 2012 22:06 |  #4

Would you not photograph the Eiffel Tower when visiting France because you saw a similar image on a postcard?

There's no reason to give it a whirl. If you tried to sell it, you would most likely lose in court, but home use should be fine.

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,567 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 18, 2012 22:46 |  #5

I don't think you're crossing any line at all. I think trying to re-create photos that inspire us is a wonderful learning tool. In the end, the photo will likely not be a complete copy, it will most likely take on something from your experiences and visions making it your own creation mixed with some inspiration from someone else.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 18, 2012 23:09 |  #6

There's nothing wrong with imitating another photog's work or in fact with selling the imitation as your own work. As to what would comprise "tasteless" imitation, well, I guess that depends -- if your work ends up in a gallery and the other photog sees it and complains about the imitation, well, it may affect your reputation in the local arts community, so sure that's a consideration, but that doesn't make you guilty of "wrongdoing".

And, when you think about it, how much imitation goes on in the arts community that goes unchallenged, and that in fact is part of how people "learn" art, photography, etc?

As far as taking the shot, do it, learn from it, and move forward in your own style/vision, and sure, hang it on your wall!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 18, 2012 23:55 |  #7

There isn't a photo in the world that is unique (ok ok, there are SOME xD) so hardcore criticism would be unwarranted, in my opinion.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 19, 2012 00:06 |  #8

You have been given an "idea" on what you would like to shoot. Show me somebody who hasn't used an idea they saw somewhere else. Plus it will be your shot, taken with your camera with your lens attached and printed and put in your house. There is no conflict with this. Highergr0und is right, if we did not take photos of anything that had already been photographed there probably wouldn't be any more photographs.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2012 02:31 |  #9

I would get more pleasure out of rewarding the original photographer by buying their photo than reshooting it myself.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 19, 2012 08:43 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #14110764 (external link)
There's nothing wrong with imitating another photog's work or in fact with selling the imitation as your own work.

You forget that the modern world is run by lawyers and morons (Gads! My fingers really wanted to insert the word 'other' somewhere into that sentence). Be careful if you go to London and shoot a red bus and the houses of parliament...LINK (external link)

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 19, 2012 11:03 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

highergr0und wrote in post #14110347 (external link)
Would you not photograph the Eiffel Tower when visiting France because you saw a similar image on a postcard?

Exactly.

The first thing I thought of when I read this thread was Tunnel View in Yosemite...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

dustyporch
398 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 19, 2012 13:30 |  #12

I think that it is no big deal. In fact, if I was the photographer of the original photo and you told me this... I would give you some tips on how to shoot it!

Now, in my head I would be thinking that it will take you days/weeks/months to get the right light and weather and atmosphere... and you will probably give up...

I don't see it as an ethical question at all. Just do it!

My photos on Flickr... (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 19, 2012 17:34 |  #13

Copied & inspired are 2 different things. If you copy it almost identically than you'll be ok with keeping it at home but have no commercial use for it locally. If you are inspired by the image and create your own variation than it would be another story. Think of how many people became creative types because they were inspired by someone else. How many of those people tried to copy their inspirations either for practice or to develop the same or similar artistic style.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 19, 2012 17:44 |  #14

BTBeilke wrote in post #14109966 (external link)
I know that legally I can take such a photo. But would I be crossing any kind of ethical boundary in doing so?

Well:

dkizzle wrote in post #14115161 (external link)
Copied & inspired are 2 different things

If you liked the photo and were inspired to go the location, take a similar photo that is your own personal work with your own personal flare, I see nothing wrong ethically or legally. Legally, attempting to make a copy of someone else's work (not their idea, but rather the work itself) is gray area lending itself towards infringement. I also personally think it's ethically wrong to try to duplicate someone else's photo for your own benefit - if you like their photo and want a copy, buy one!

Now being inspired by someone else's work to create something that is similar but your own? I see nothing wrong with that.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2012 17:51 |  #15

Have a look at Picasso's thoughts on that.

http://answers.yahoo.c​om …qid=20100226121​955AA5dgbh (external link)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

2,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recreating another photographer's photo?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.