Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 02:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Watermarking Photos

Arte ­ Automobilistica
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 21, 2012 02:00 |  #1

Hi

Until now I have resisted watermarking my photos as they detract from my art. I did a shoot a week ago and according to Statcounter Stats (I have Wordpress/Photocrati) 75 photos have been illegally downloaded (and BTW 0 sold!!). Apparently you can't do anything to stop illegal downloading.

Any advice?

NelPhotos.co.uk (external link)
Work: 7D + Sigma 100-300 4
Play: Kiss X4 + 15-85 IS + 10-22 + 50 1.8 II + Vivitar 1 70-210 3.5
EOS-M + 18-55 + FD 50 1.4 + FD 135 2.8 + Tamron 35-80 1A
G9, SX280 HS + CHDK, Casio EX-FH 100, Toshiba L505-144 & iPad 2

sponsored links
tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 21, 2012 02:10 |  #2

They aren't really illegally downloaded, they are just downloaded. You should upload printable large resolution photos if you don't want them being used as whatever you're selling them to be used as. You could simply upload a preview with a light faded watermark.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.com (external link)
facebook (external link) | twitter (external link) | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link) | GearList

lcn
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 21, 2012 04:07 |  #3

People will download and use the photos you post online. I've tried to license my photos with Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. However nobody seems to care about attributing and linking back to me. So now I've stopped using CC. I retain all copyright and watermark my pictures. If somebody wants to use my pictures I usually grant a free license or maybe a small fee. Depending on the use.

The thing to think about when watermarking is to make it tasteful and small. I don't want to display my pictures with big ugly watermarks. Go to my website (external link) to see how I do it. I think I've found the right balance.

See my blog at snart.com (external link)

harris81
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 14:32 |  #4

lcn wrote in post #14124421 (external link)
People will download and use the photos you post online. I've tried to license my photos with Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. However nobody seems to care about attributing and linking back to me. So now I've stopped using CC. I retain all copyright and watermark my pictures. If somebody wants to use my pictures I usually grant a free license or maybe a small fee. Depending on the use.

The thing to think about when watermarking is to make it tasteful and small. I don't want to display my pictures with big ugly watermarks. Go to my website (external link) to see how I do it. I think I've found the right balance.

I tried to be cute about the watermark like you did. Instead, I seen my photo on the internet with my watermark cropped off. Now I have to do like Sears and other companies. I have my name going across it so that if someone was to try to crop it off, it would mess up the photo.

;)

harris81
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 24, 2012 14:36 |  #5

You can view it at

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: data

;)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 24, 2012 15:20 |  #6

I'm not suggesting an obvious answer to this question, but I'd ask myself: what is actually doing more harm to me in terms of making sales: 1) leaving a minimal watermark or 2) adding a larger one that interferes with the aesthetics of the image ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 25, 2012 02:29 |  #7

Putting a small logo or some sort of text discretely at the bottom as suggested above is NOT watermarking. A watermark overlays the image to counter reproduction of any kind. It can be very discreen and doesn't necessarily have to take away from the image.

Putting something (text/logo) in the corner isn't a way to protect your images. It is mainly used as sort of branding for the purposes of awareness. Sort of like signing your pictures so they know you made it.

Terence # www.terencepereiraphot​o.com (external link)
facebook (external link) | twitter (external link) | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link) | GearList

renlok
249 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 25, 2012 02:39 |  #8

Arte Automobilistica wrote in post #14124161 (external link)
Hi

Until now I have resisted watermarking my photos as they detract from my art. I did a shoot a week ago and according to Statcounter Stats (I have Wordpress/Photocrati) 75 photos have been illegally downloaded (and BTW 0 sold!!). Apparently you can't do anything to stop illegal downloading.

Any advice?

Theres no real way to stop people from downloading your images. Even 500px, where they disable right click, there are still alot of ways to download the image without paying.

I would say, just upload the size you are willing to let people down. large enough so people can see the details but not large enough for people to print.

Renlok (external link) | G+ (external link)
Canon 70D | Canon 5D MKii | 35L | Sigma 24-105 | 100L | 85 | Sigma 150-500

stormjury
173 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 28, 2012 23:55 |  #9

I have had this discussion with many different people in and out of the photography industry.

I myself put a watermark right through the middle of the images, yes it detracts from my art but I will NEVER again have the issue of illegal use.
Previously I have a small watermark in the corner and found some of my image turning up on business websites and even once on a promotion poster with my watermark cropped out (yes it was my image as I could still see the very edge of my watermark). After this happening numerous times I slapped the watermark right through the guts of it and have not had a single image used without permission or stolen by another photographer as their work (yes thats right, another photographer stealing my work and crediting themselves).

This i am afraid is the nature of our chosen industry.

[URL="http://<a href="][URL][URL]http:​//www.photographicstor​m.com/ - [URL="http://<a href="][URL][URL]http:​//www.therollerderbyph​otographer.com/ - [URL="http://<a href="][URL][URL]http:​//www.bladekayak.com.a​u/
Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
Lenses: Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 100-400 f/5.6L | Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 DG HSM II | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8L IS

Arte ­ Automobilistica
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 01, 2012 16:21 |  #10

stormjury wrote in post #14172914 (external link)
This i am afraid is the nature of our chosen industry.

Amen to that! Watermarks through the middle it is.

NelPhotos.co.uk (external link)
Work: 7D + Sigma 100-300 4
Play: Kiss X4 + 15-85 IS + 10-22 + 50 1.8 II + Vivitar 1 70-210 3.5
EOS-M + 18-55 + FD 50 1.4 + FD 135 2.8 + Tamron 35-80 1A
G9, SX280 HS + CHDK, Casio EX-FH 100, Toshiba L505-144 & iPad 2

davtackett
893 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 07, 2012 18:54 |  #11

You can hide water marks in the image in case you would ever need proof its yours, plus have one that's obvious and they won't know about the hidden one(s). Or you could somewhat hide them as to not ruin the photo, and it would be difficult to remove.

7d, 7dII, 100-400 canon L, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

stormjury
173 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 08, 2012 01:52 |  #12

when your uploading hundreds of images from a sports event then trying to hide each one is just not viable for time. And if its used and I don't find it then its hard to chase it but when the watermark is somewhat visible then it cant be stolen in the first place and if it is still used then its clear who's owns it and in my case directs me to my site

[URL="http://<a href="][URL][URL]http:​//www.photographicstor​m.com/ - [URL="http://<a href="][URL][URL]http:​//www.therollerderbyph​otographer.com/ - [URL="http://<a href="][URL][URL]http:​//www.bladekayak.com.a​u/
Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
Lenses: Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 100-400 f/5.6L | Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 DG HSM II | Sigma 70-200 f/2.8L IS

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2012 05:49 |  #13

Just think if it were in print and people scanned and used it for their own purposes. For many years people just ripped photos right out of print and they still do given the chance. So better to keep it digital, lock the binary bits in a vault and never print or share with anyone because the day you do it someone may steal it.

If anyone believes nobody can easily remove a watermark smack in the middle of an image with photoshop just post a tagged image think again.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

winam
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 01, 2012 03:31 |  #14

It's, pretty easy to do this mith photoshop cs5. If you wan more details, just contact me

And btw you could simply make a flash gallery on your wordpress blog. You can download them. Yu have to make a picture of that, if i'm right

You could use FIA Gallery (external link)

isoMorphic wrote in post #14234175 (external link)
Just think if it were in print and people scanned and used it for their own purposes. For many years people just ripped photos right out of print and they still do given the chance. So better to keep it digital, lock the binary bits in a vault and never print or share with anyone because the day you do it someone may steal it.

If anyone believes nobody can easily remove a watermark smack in the middle of an image with photoshop just post a tagged image think again.

I know, but, many amateurs can't do that, just the advanced and pros i guess

Canon EOS 650D, Canon EOS 1000d, SIGMA DG 18-250m, Canon 18-55mm
http://www.rene-photography.de/ (external link)
Please take a look at my Review for the awesome Daminion Server DAM-System (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 01, 2012 08:42 |  #15

See what I did below? If I can do that for your forum post, I can do it for your posted images.

The key is that I can only grab your images at the maximum resolution that you've posted. Therefore, if you post small images (say 800px or less), that dramatically reduces the possible high quality uses for those images. 800px is certainly not sufficient to make a decent print of any size, though clearly web use is still possible.

There's simply no way around this: if you post your images on the web, they can be downloaded. Period.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

3,884 views & 0 likes for this thread
Watermarking Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.