Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 06:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Big Blackbear

Shot4u2
988 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2012 06:11 |  #1

My first bear with a 7D, 300mm F/4L + 1.4TC. Handheld and set on spot metering so as to not underexpose Bear. I'm an amateur, especially with the 7D, and would like it if someone could tell me whether or not center weighted metering would have made the rest of the pic not so overexposed without losing contrast in the bear. Cropped off about 50%.
Thanks for looking. Advice more than welcomed.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1087.photobuck​et.com …shot4u2/IMG_149​7acopy.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1087.photobuck​et.com …shot4u2/IMG_154​2acopy.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 21, 2012 06:21 |  #2

Black and lighter colors will do this, your camera is not designed to overcome the issue.

These are very good images considering it looks like you shot them when the sun is higher in the sky.
If you are concerned, it looks like you can lower the exposure in the lighter parts of the image fairly easily if you do some processing.
Great images though - and that is a large bear for Jersey.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Shot4u2
THREAD ­ STARTER
988 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2012 06:32 |  #3

Thanks pbelarge. It was on my way back out around noon. I know I should be shooting in raw (and have to learn PP in raw), if I adjust the jpeg anymore I begin to blacken out the fur. I can live with the overexposed background.

photocopy
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 21, 2012 08:51 |  #4

nice shot..those must be flys buzzing around him? your braver then me to get a pic of a bear.. LOL
How many feet away were you even with the 1.4TC?

Shot4u2
THREAD ­ STARTER
988 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2012 12:09 |  #5

photocopy wrote in post #14125132 (external link)
nice shot..those must be flys buzzing around him? your braver then me to get a pic of a bear.. LOL
How many feet away were you even with the 1.4TC?

They were clouds of knats. I was about 100ft on the other side of a foot deep of water. The wind was right, and I had good cover behind me, so I was able to walk along for 20 minutes and get ahead of the bear a few times. It looked at me a few times and checked the air, but didn't see me. I was hoping my last shot wasn't one of the bear charging through the water, although it would have been a cool shot.

Glenn ­ Abuja
489 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 22, 2012 16:05 |  #6

I agree with Pierre
Now, if you do some post processing you can balance the photo even better.
Nice capture.
Glenn

CRobH
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 22, 2012 19:10 |  #7

Nice shots! That is one BIG black bear.

Fishbreath
180 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 23, 2012 08:06 as a reply to  @ CRobH's post |  #8

I hope to get some shots like that. was that at the national recreational area in Delaware water gap

VBA #299
ice shanty #53
retirement isn't all its cracked-up to be,,,, its better

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2012 10:10 |  #9

very nicely done, hard shot to get and you got two of them.

Shot4u2
THREAD ­ STARTER
988 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 24, 2012 19:11 |  #10

Fishbreath wrote in post #14138288 (external link)
I hope to get some shots like that. was that at the national recreational area in Delaware water gap

Thanks everyone for your replies!
It was on the Wallkill River Refuge's duck trail, Rt565, 100yds north of rt 23.
There's so many bear around here. They are often in my yard, mostly at night. Two tried to make a den under my brush pile last winter. Last fall I had close encounters nearly every day while bowhunting. I had a few follow my sent to the tree I was in. I'm going to hunt from a ground blind this year and bring the camera.

Fishbreath
180 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 25, 2012 09:16 |  #11

Shot4u2 wrote in post #14147020 (external link)
Thanks everyone for your replies!
It was on the Wallkill River Refuge's duck trail, Rt565, 100yds north of rt 23.
There's so many bear around here. They are often in my yard, mostly at night. Two tried to make a den under my brush pile last winter. Last fall I had close encounters nearly every day while bowhunting. I had a few follow my sent to the tree I was in. I'm going to hunt from a ground blind this year and bring the camera.

we go to the chatterbox drive-in then usally head north on rt.23 to high point state park. Nice roads for the bikes. never took 23 south or is that east.

VBA #299
ice shanty #53
retirement isn't all its cracked-up to be,,,, its better

Iduna
68 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 26, 2012 16:18 |  #12

nice shots even if you complain about exposure. Everything i fine, details are there. Good.

Always keep your eyes open
Best regards
Iduna
Canon 30D/ Canon 35-135 mm 4.5/50 mm 1.4
Canon 100-300 mm 5.6/Zeiss Distagon 18 mm 3.5

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 26, 2012 16:31 |  #13

Great shot. And, yes, something like that is going to be tough to expose well, but it looks like you did an admirable job. The meter (spot mode or otherwise) is looking for 18% gray (or is it 12%, I've read both). Your bear is quite a bit darker than that. So in spot mode, the meter would tend to over expose (trying to make that bear gray). In Evaluative, the black bear would likely be the darkest thing in the frame, so you would likely get an under exposed shot. Your shot (with the background seeming a little over exposed, but showing good, but very dark detail in the bear) is really good; it is the compromise I would seek. Even a little darker, and the detail would begin to disappear like it already is on his chest under his chin and his shady side.

Your report of numerous bears in Norther NJ makes me both glad and a little anxious. When I go for walks in the woods, I normally let my kids (and small dog) run ahead. And though I know in my head that black bear are generally docile and not much interested in people, I think that knowledge would be quickly forgotten if I were to come face-to-face..

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Shot4u2
THREAD ­ STARTER
988 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 26, 2012 19:08 |  #14

Thanks Harry.
I was charged once, then it followed me for a mile back to my truck. Also had one 10yds away chattering his teeth when I was packing up my treestand in the dark. They're not afraid of humans yet, even after a few years of being hunted. I've never had one run from me, they walk away, if I don't back off first. If your kids make noise, they should be OK. The bear will most likely stay out of sight if they know you are coming.

Shot4u2
THREAD ­ STARTER
988 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 26, 2012 19:30 |  #15

Fishbreath wrote in post #14149412 (external link)
we go to the chatterbox drive-in then usally head north on rt.23 to high point state park. Nice roads for the bikes. never took 23 south or is that east.

South, but it does go nw to se. You most likely go out to the sussex inn and head north. That's my town. I've been over H.P. Mt many times on my bike(pedaling). Hit 54mph coming down the Jersey side. I take it you go thru Port Jervis and over the Hawks nest along the Deleware. Nice ride. I've done it with my wife on the tandem. We had a group of bikers pass us, then we passed their bikes at a bar. A couple hrs later we passed the bar heading back, and the bikes were still there, LOL. They passed us again on a long climb on their way back, and I'll never forget each one of them soluting us.
I had a KZ900 back in '76. Dropped it and fractured my back. Never been back on since, but kept up my license.

sponsored links

2,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
Big Blackbear
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.