Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So are all the Canadian's buying their 5Diii in the USA?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,498 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2012 17:17 |  #31

JohnB57 wrote in post #14141396 (external link)
Not sure how it works in the US. In Europe, we generally pay sales tax appropriate to the country of origin. In the case of the UK, this is 20%.

If the B&H price excludes NYC tax, the % difference between US and UK is or course a little lower than I said.

I was just wondering where you got that $3214 number. In the US, sales tax is a state level tax and is added onto the purchase price. B&H lists the camera for $3499. If someone walks into their store in NYC, B&H will add NYC's 8.875% tax to the item's price. If someone in Albany, NY orders it from B&H and has it shipped to them, they'll probably pay NY State's 4% tax rate but not NYC's higher rate. (At least that's how it works in California). If B&H ship the item to another state where they have no business presence, such as California where I live, no sales tax is collected. I'm supposed to report and pay California's sales tax on it but the compliance rate is about 3%.

sponsored links
damann
57 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2012 17:28 as a reply to  @ post 14125986 |  #32

Paying $300 more for a $3k camera here in Canada I don't find nearly as obscene as I do the lens prices. I have been shopping around for the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS and at B&H it's currently at $589, Henrey's here in Canada it's $879. That's absolutely ridiculous. I simply can't imagine how they can justify that, especially considering there is no duty on photography equipment. I will be buying from the US for sure

Canon XS (1000D), Sigma 17-50 2.8 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, YongNuo YN-465, Yongnuo RF-602, Cameron fader ND filter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 23, 2012 21:32 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

General_T wrote in post #14140219 (external link)
Hi,

I bought mine locally from Henrys here in Ottawa. Didn't like paying the extra $600 bucks ($200 above American prices + the sales tax of $400). But I have it now and know that if there is a problem I can return it hassle free for exchange. Still $600 bucks is hard to swallow on this pricey camera.

Now do I fork out yet another $450 bucks for an extended 3 yr warranty (for a total of 4 yrs?)

You still have to pay the sales tax when purchasing from B&H. Actually for me, I get my friend in Calgary to pick one up for 3699, no tax, and ship it to me in BC for a grand total of 3724.

Getting it from B&H would cost me 4050, so I a saving over $300 buying in Canada.

One thing to remember to do is properly covert your Can$ to US$. Our credit cards love to add a few when doing this. Today's fee is 2.2%, so we need to add $77 to the price.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 23, 2012 21:37 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Persian-Rice wrote in post #14141294 (external link)
I'm just throwing this out there....but you can easily get a bus/train ticket from Toronto to NYC for $100 or cheaper. Spend a fun day in NYC, add a few more expensive items and save yourself a lot of money. No tax, no shipping, short getaway, and nobody suspects a camera on a tourist, especially if you mail the boxes back.

~5 years ago when the price margins were really big, I'd drive there every year. It's cheaper now, but if you buy enough, it's still worth it.

Nothing like being a criminal. Is it really worth it to save a few bucks?

jrmy
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 23, 2012 21:41 |  #35

Persian-Rice wrote in post #14141294 (external link)
I'm just throwing this out there....but you can easily get a bus/train ticket from Toronto to NYC for $100 or cheaper. Spend a fun day in NYC, add a few more expensive items and save yourself a lot of money. No tax, no shipping, short getaway, and nobody suspects a camera on a tourist, especially if you mail the boxes back.

~5 years ago when the price margins were really big, I'd drive there every year. It's cheaper now, but if you buy enough, it's still worth it.

Spend 6-8 hours per way, on a bus, to save a few hundo? No thanks.

Check out my feedback here.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 23, 2012 22:35 |  #36

JohnB57 wrote in post #14141217 (external link)
Hi David. Thanks for the best regards and sorry to raise your blood pressure.

It's not a big deal, but far from having a pop, what I was trying to do was to exclude sales tax/VAT from the equation so we could maybe see the underlying Canon pricing policy, UK versus US.

No geography lesson intended. In fact, many Brits don't understand the distinction, but the UK is - for the moment at least - one country. Our passports say "Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" and forgive the patriotism, but some of us are quite proud of the description and value our union.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

What's so funny about this geography thing-y, is your very own location says, and makes the clear distinction, that you are from England.... lol ( I understand what you're saying about UK being a union of sorts) Sorry, I just thought it funny. It just so happens I lived in Europe (Germany to be more specific) for 4 years, and had the fortune of doing some traveling. I love Europe, it's history as well as the history of the "UK". If I go through my family tree, I had relatives who lived and died in the UK as well as France.

No, no blood pressure problems here, I didn't really take it that way. Since you took the time to correct my first post, I figured I'd take the time to explain how I arrived at those conclusions. Yeah, I could have just let it go, but I was board while at work, and had nothing better to do... lol Some days are just like that. I apologize if I came off rude or disrespectful.

Cheers,

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 24, 2012 08:06 |  #37

davidc502 wrote in post #14142993 (external link)
What's so funny about this geography thing-y, is your very own location says, and makes the clear distinction, that you are from England.... lol ( I understand what you're saying about UK being a union of sorts) Sorry, I just thought it funny. It just so happens I lived in Europe (Germany to be more specific) for 4 years, and had the fortune of doing some traveling. I love Europe, it's history as well as the history of the "UK". If I go through my family tree, I had relatives who lived and died in the UK as well as France.

No, no blood pressure problems here, I didn't really take it that way. Since you took the time to correct my first post, I figured I'd take the time to explain how I arrived at those conclusions. Yeah, I could have just let it go, but I was board while at work, and had nothing better to do... lol Some days are just like that. I apologize if I came off rude or disrespectful.

Cheers,

David

Hi again David. No problems and I agree, my own location shows "England" rather than "UK" so even though that is accurate, I'm guilty of adding confusion. We tend to suffer from identity crisis over here as I can be described in many ways "Yorkshireman", "English", "UK Citizen", "Brit" and even "European".

Mike_D - I took the 8.75% NYC sales tax off of the $3,499 price but from what you say, this is the wrong way to do it - the tax would be added on purchase. Confusing for us Brits as the price posted in shops and on retail websites must by law include our own 20% sales tax, which is UK wide, as mentioned in my earlier post, hence the net price of £2,500 for the 5D3.

sebmour
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 24, 2012 08:10 |  #38

Nope! I purchased mine in a local store next to my home. He priced it at 3600$ for me and I have it since day one without pre-ordering. I am already making money with the camera although the workflow as been disturbed for now!

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 24, 2012 08:27 |  #39

JohnB57 wrote in post #14144308 (external link)
Hi again David. No problems and I agree, my own location shows "England" rather than "UK" so even though that is accurate, I'm guilty of adding confusion. We tend to suffer from identity crisis over here as I can be described in many ways "Yorkshireman", "English", "UK Citizen", "Brit" and even "European".

Mike_D - I took the 8.75% NYC sales tax off of the $3,499 price but from what you say, this is the wrong way to do it - the tax would be added on purchase. Confusing for us Brits as the price posted in shops and on retail websites must by law include our own 20% sales tax, which is UK wide, as mentioned in my earlier post, hence the net price of £2,500 for the 5D3.

If you want a real identity chrisis, then do away with the Pound, and start distributing Euros as the EU would like to do..... lol

I can see the Brits now.....(Asking themselves) Are we European? Don't know, but let's go to a pub and discuss it......

One of my all time favorite shows is Top Gear... I thought it was amazing how they made a Space Shuttle out of a Robin. :) Must of cost millions of pounds to pull it off. I loved Hammond's response to the question on why he chose the Robin, and his response was because it had a pointed nose! Yeah!

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

dale1968
90 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 24, 2012 10:17 as a reply to  @ post 14125986 |  #40

Don't know about them getting them first the only camera shop here in Fort Mcmurray has had them in for 4 days, but $300 is a lot of differance from the US but if i wanted one today that would have to be the premium id pay other than waiting for 10 days or so for delivery from the US.

1D4,1DIII Bodies, 300 F2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, 24-105 F4 L IS, 17-40 L F4, 100 F2.8 Macro, 50 F1.4, 15 F2.8,

sponsored links

5,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
So are all the Canadian's buying their 5Diii in the USA?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.