Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TFCD Shoot - Headshots

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 21, 2012 09:52 |  #1

First time doing a TFCD shoot with a makeup artist, here are the headshots she wanted for her portfolio. I have other shots that are waiting on PP but wanted some C&C on these before I send them off to her.

Lighting was a single Vivitar 285HV using a a reflective umbrella. Would have liked a hair light for #4. I probably should have had the light less off-centered in #5.

Don't have a calibrated monitor (hopefully soon!) so not sure how colours look.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9498 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9500 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9576 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9622 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_9650 (external link) by jcbel (external link), on Flickr

Joel

sponsored links
Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 21, 2012 10:05 |  #2

They look to be good crisp shots with great color.

Agree that #4 could use a hair light but all of them could use a reflector to reduce the shadow under the chin - it's quite pronounced.

With the exception of #5 I would call this 'safe lighting'. There is little drama in it (may be what she wants for her portfolio). I can't help but imagine they are all holding cards with numbers on them just out of camera range.

I would suggest you find a reflector and move your flash further off camera axis.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 21, 2012 10:23 |  #3

Thanks Dave, I will definitely keep the reflector in mind for the next shoot. I did try to keep the lighting "safe" for these because the MUA wanted them specifically to highlight the makeup.

There are another five images in this set that has the models' eyes down to show the eye makeup and lashes better.

Joel

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 21, 2012 21:55 |  #4

My first impression....mug shots. The lighting and the facial expressions look like there should be a height scale for a backdrop. You did your part, but the models seem totally disengaged.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2012 06:04 |  #5

As Woolburr said I also saw "Mug Shots" at first. But they are nice mug shots. I'd do some skin work in #3 & #4.

-- Image Editing OK --

EngineerWithACamera
77 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 22, 2012 08:20 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #6

I am by no means an expert but i would agree about the mugshot comments, if you would like to get into head shot photography i would recommend checking out Peter Hurley. He is an amazing head shot photographer, I just got done watching his four hour long "The Art Behind The Head Shot" DVD and it is extremely informative. Here is a preview of it:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=vgt9I_kpaHM (external link)

Just a few quick tips he gives in his DVD that apply to these pictures. To avoid the eyes wide open, deer in the headlights look, he has all his models give a little squint as if they are reading the bottom lines of an eye chart. Most of the models you have pictured are pursing their lips which looks uncomfortable and unnatural, have them open their mouths the slightest bit, just putting some air between their lips. Also in regards to the mouth, he is a big believer in the slightest smile as it evokes confidence and approachability at the same time. Also 95% of people end up having one eye smaller than the other when taking their portrait (not very prominent is these pictures but, left eye #2, right eye #3, left eye #5) you can even this out by turning the head so the smaller eye is in the back or front, one of the two will work although it is not always the same one. I'm not sure if this one will apply because it is a photo shoot for a MUA but he is strongly against eye shadow and believes more natural looking makeup is best for portraits. Finally try some angles, i think you'll find they will look much better than straight on shots.

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 22, 2012 09:15 |  #7

Woolburr wrote in post #14129750 (external link)
My first impression....mug shots. The lighting and the facial expressions look like there should be a height scale for a backdrop. You did your part, but the models seem totally disengaged.

Qbx wrote in post #14131041 (external link)
As Woolburr said I also saw "Mug Shots" at first. But they are nice mug shots. I'd do some skin work in #3 & #4.

EngineerWithACamera wrote in post #14131471 (external link)
I am by no means an expert but i would agree about the mugshot comments

In fairness to the models, they were just helping out the MUA - they were not doing this for their own portfolio.

I can see where the mug shot comments are coming from, but to be honest I had no intention of taking anything like these. I had almost wrapped up with the first model when the MUA told me she wanted shots like these to showcase her work (we had a lengthy back and forth exchange prior to doing this and these shots never came up). So it did throw me for a loop, and I will admit my posing skills are non-existent as well. :o

As far as skin work goes, I'm unsure what is appropriate in this case. These are supposed to be showcasing the MUA's work, not mine. So I tried to leave them as untouched as possible. I did set clarity to -25 (in LR4) just to smooth things a little overall. So I'm clueless here... has anyone seen a MUA's portfolio?

I should probably get to the other shots and post them, this is not indicative of how the entire shoot went..!

Joel

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 01:55 |  #8

Other pics posted here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1164323

Joel

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 25, 2012 17:06 |  #9

One hell of a difference between these and the ones you posted above. Much better lighting and posing.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2012 19:04 |  #10

Thanks Woolburr, so lesson learned is don't let the MUA tell you what shots to take? :)

Joel

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 25, 2012 19:13 |  #11

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14152165 (external link)
Thanks Woolburr, so lesson learned is don't let the MUA tell you what shots to take? :)

Oh you can take the shots she wants.....just don't put them in the Critique Corner.....:lol:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 26, 2012 12:31 |  #12

Yes I have to agree with you, Dave! :D

Joel

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,360 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 30, 2012 03:34 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #13

Yes the last set are much better photos, but in several cases don't shot the make-up. Hence I can understand why the MUA wants the ones she does.

I think that if the issue arises again you might try to come up with some more interesting poses that focus on the face. Maybe something with interesting DOF so the face is in focus but nothing else. That way you get interesting images and she gets shots that really show off the make-up.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

joeblack2022
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 30, 2012 09:18 |  #14

Thanks Dan, I will definitely keep those suggestions in mind for next time. :)

Joel

sponsored links

2,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
TFCD Shoot - Headshots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.