Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cameron - Senior

sennsm
65 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 21, 2012 15:06 |  #1

Still early in my professional endeavors. But I think I have found my style with the "Vintage" look.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Rebel T2i
18-55mm IS /50mm IS 1.4/Tamron 75-300
My Site (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2012 15:07 |  #2

professional? The tilt and crop on the second one is awkward. And your vintage look has turned him yellow.

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 21, 2012 15:31 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #14127270 (external link)
professional? The tilt and crop on the second one is awkward. And your vintage look has turned him yellow.

Same for me.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

sennsm
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 21, 2012 16:28 as a reply to  @ James P's post |  #4

ok, thanks. like I said, still early in the process for me. this is a new technique. i happen to like it. but i can see the yellows. but that is a quality in vintage processing. i will try to dial it back a little. the crop to me is not an issue. i havent delivered these yet since i was just testing out the processing.

Rebel T2i
My Site (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2012 16:35 |  #5

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=914406

Check out this thread.

sennsm
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2012 07:36 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

how's this. adjusted yellows and crop

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Rebel T2i
My Site (external link)

dawnkyung
948 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 22, 2012 07:41 |  #7

Much better in terms of the yellow!

dawn | 29 | gear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2012 09:13 |  #8

Yellow is better, the crop is beyond saving.

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 22, 2012 09:32 |  #9

I think it was maybe a bit too yellow. The revised processing is much nice I think. Is the crop really that bad? I mean I don't love it, but it isn't that offensive to me.

Portfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sennsm
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2012 09:48 as a reply to  @ Seventeen Nineteen's post |  #10

the crop is not beyond saving. it was not shot like that. i rotated it a little in post. But gonzo is acting like i shot it upside down or something.

Rebel T2i
My Site (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2012 09:50 |  #11

Sorry, if you like it fine, but its still in my opinion an awkward crop.

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 22, 2012 09:58 |  #12

^I would agree that it is perhaps awkward. It does leave a lot of empty space in the top left corner. And the lean takes your eye right out of the image. I don't know - I think the critique was a bit harsh. This is, after all, quite subjective. OP - I'm not defending you per se, I do think you should rethink your crop...I'd just say remember to be gentle with people, especially in the arts.

Some of us are a little sensitive (read: me). haha

Flickr (external link)

sennsm
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2012 10:18 as a reply to  @ Seventeen Nineteen's post |  #13

I appreciate thoughtful criticism. I am learning everyday. I understand the yellows, I just didnt notice it i guess until gonzo brought it to my attention. The crop, is def. subjective. if my client likes it, then i guess that is what matters most, right? Like I said, it was not shot like that. I will try it with the original and see if that looks better. I will post it tonight when i get home.

Rebel T2i
My Site (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 22, 2012 10:25 |  #14

I know what you mean - but I tend to believe that what the client likes doesn't really matter at all. If they wanted what they liked, they'd do it themselves, however poorly it may look to everyone else. They hire us, or interior designers, or graphic designers, or whatever - not because they can't do something, but because they want something (a look, a feel, a style, whatever) that we can give them. I don't intend on changing my style for just anyone. That's what a meeting is for - to determine if your vision of something intersects with my general style.

I think its a dangerous game to design for someone else's aesthetic sense. Usually, when people hire others to do something in the arts, its because that person lacks a real aesthetic. They have no style. I don't want someone like that making creative choices for me.

Of course, I've read into your statement a lot. But I feel its an important point to make. I'm not advocating not listening to your customers. We havet to be a little bit flexible to those that pay the bills. But who cares what they like? They don't know any better. We have to be better.

I'd rethink the crop. This is a forum of your peers. I've had some disputes with people over criticisms (mostly in the way it was given - not necessarily the content) and, as much as it pains me to admit it, its made me better.

Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2012 10:30 |  #15

sennsm wrote in post #14132088 (external link)
if my client likes it, then i guess that is what matters most, right? Like I said, it was not shot like that. I will try it with the original and see if that looks better. I will post it tonight when i get home.

Be careful about adopting this mindset. Of course you want to satisfy your customer, no dispute there. Most of your clients will not have a discerning eye, its up to you to determine quality and strive for it. I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this but actually encouraging you to not settle for mediocre because thats all your clients expect.

sponsored links

3,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cameron - Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.