Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old 100mm macro

Dr.D
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 21, 2012 20:51 |  #1

Just picked up a Canon 100mm Macro and having a little problem finding anything out about it. I believe it's a older model of the 100mm 2.8 Macro because it has a metal body. Is that the same as the USM? I'm guessing not, but can't seem to find the sample thread for the older, if there is one for the older model. Also, do they make a hood for it and do I really need it since the lens sits inside a way back? Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 21, 2012 21:03 |  #2

If the lens is recessed, it would be the non-USM model. As for the hood.. might not be a necessity, but i have a love affair with hoods, and all of my lenses (except kit 18-55) have hoods. :confused:

Kel
Gear

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 21, 2012 21:05 |  #3

I've got one. Nice lens, built like a tank. No need for a hood since the front element is so recessed. Not the fastest to focus (no usm) and the front element extends during focusing, but still a good sharp macro and portrait lens.

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2012 21:30 |  #4

Here is a short review of the older (non-USM) EF 100mm 2.8 http://www.google.ca …hKkQGatzFgtiiYE​zviutDa_Ig (external link)

Canon did not make a hood for this lens. The front element is deeply recessed so a hood is really not required and might even get in the way for a Macro shot.

You can see from the photo there is no way to mount a hood other than using the 52mm screw in filter threads.

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo8/_01a-5.jpg

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 21, 2012 22:07 as a reply to  @ msowsun's post |  #5

I believe this lens (and the 50mm f2.5) were designed to have recessed glass and thus not "need" a lens hood. As was said I think a hood might interfere with getting close enough to some subjects when doing close ups. Unlike the 50mm f2.5, this lens provides a 1:1 magnification without any adapter. I find it very sharp, but the general consensus is it is just about as sharp as both the L and the USM non-L - but just shy.

The only drawbacks I see are it is old (if in good condition not a problem), no USM so noisier and slower AF (not a problem for me I usually manually focus for macro photography - and that is all I use this lens for), front end extends (at times bothersome), and no way to put a tripod collar on this lens (this I would really, really like to be able to do).

Its a good lens, go out and use it, it will do well. I've owned mine since before the other two were around.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 22, 2012 01:30 |  #6

there's no separate sample thread so a few just post images in there...the IQ is supposed to be similar to the USM version...it may take a bit to get used to the extending end when you're focusing on closer things...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Dr.D
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2012 23:27 |  #7

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 23, 2012 09:32 |  #8

That's the original version of the the EF 100mm and quite a good lens. As stated, there's not much difference in IQ between it and the 100mm USM, or for that matter the 100mm L/IS. All three are quite good optically.

As a non-USM lens, you probably should not manually override autofocus without first turning off the AF at the switch. To check on this, you might see if Canon has a PDF manual for the lens online at their website or if you can find one elsewhere. But AFAIK, all non-USM lenses need to be switched off before manually focusing, or you risk damaging the focusing mechanism. (USM lenses, OTOH, allow immediate manual focusing iwthout need to turn off AF, which Canon calls FTM or Full Time Manual.) This is going to make the lens slower to use when shooting with autofocus. Of course, a lot of the time it's faster and easier to use manual focus with macro photography anyway. So this likely won't be much of an issue. Non-USM lenses also tend to be slower autofocusing than USM, which will likely be even more exaggerated with any macro lens because they have to move the focusing group so far to be able to focus all the way from infinity to 1:1 magnification.

It does have a focus limiter, though it's not marked on the lens what the distances are. Again, see if you can find a copy of the owners manual that came with the lens originally... that would tell you what the limter's ranges are... I suspect the "limit" setting on this lens allows focus to infiniity and keeps the lens from going into the higher magnifications, while the "full" settings lets it go all the way from infinity to full 1:1. This is the same way the USM lens' limiter works. The L/IS, OTOH, has a three position limiter that allows it to be kept in the close/high mag range, but not able to go all the way to infinity; in a range from infinity to something less than max mag; or covering the entire range from infinity to 1:1.

Note in the photo of the lens, there's no "gold ring" that Canon uses to identify their USM lenses... not to mention they have "Ultrasonic" written several places on most USM lenses.

I forgot that the original EF 100mm was not Internal Focusing (IF). (IF makes the 100 USM and 100 L/IS larger to begin with, but they don't change length while focusing).

AFAIK, that original 100mm also can't be fitted with a tripod mounting ring, the way the two later models can be, optionally.

Oh, and BTW, I believe all three have metal barrels. So that's not a way to distinguish one from the other. The 100 USM is identical in build to the 180/3.5L, in fact.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 25, 2012 12:41 |  #9

I have both the EF 100mm f/2.8 and the USM version. I photographed them side by side in the pictures of lenses thread here:
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=8849408&post​count=2662

You can't override autofocus with the original lens. The focus ring disconnects and spins free when autofocus is selected.

The focus limiter works differently than the USM version. If you are closer than 1:4 when you select the focus limiter, then focus is limited to the range of about 1:1 to 1:4 for both manual and autofocus. If you are focused between about 1:5 to infinity when you engage the focus limiter, then you are limited to that range for both manual and autofocus. There is a small range between about 1:5 and 1:4 where the focus limiter cannot be engaged.

If you want to shade a filter, then the adapter and hood for the EF 50mm f/1.8 II works fine.

My USM version really feels like plastic on the barrel.

Photo Gear

sponsored links

4,813 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old 100mm macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.