Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 22 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Coat.... DIY :D

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 22, 2012 11:24 |  #1

Ok, you can tell how bored i was. It seems the weather God knew i just bought a new lens and decided to make me spend more time with her at home :lol:
So, to protect Inca, i was shopping for some clothing for her and immediately found that, for her size, the clothes are EXPENSIVE! lol Also, i found most retail lens coats don't cover the zoom ring and the focus ring. So, to save some money and make use of the time at home, i have decided to create a lens coat for her.
I got all 3 required items from Amazon, i.e. a 24"X36" closed cell 3mm neoprene ($12.60), 144"X56" Mossy Oak netting ($13.50), 4oz non-toxic fabric adhesive ($6.50). (Still plenty leftover after the project)

I do have some sewing experience but that was from childhood when mama needed help making hundreds of scrub uniforms (she's an excellent taylor BTW). I have not sown at all in my adulthood. Nevertheless, i have decided to take on the challenge =P.
Oh, and my gf was so interested in helping too. So, a great way to spend quality time with your significant other - another BONUS! Hah!

I did all the measurings and cuttings. Then we both sewed all the pieces. That took us about 3 hours. Then gluing the netting onto the neoprene, another hour or so. Total of 4 hrs since that's from some clumsy hands =P. I'm sure y'all can do it faster and better.

I am kind of happy with the final result especially with both the zoom ring as well as the focus ring covered. Only a custom tayloring can solve that issue for me.

I hope this helps those who have thought about making their own lens coat. If you have any question, suggestion, feedback, feel free to post. Thanks for looking. :)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7004295559_b8f3c6df58_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7109/7004295459_c2e06bc8e8_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6218/6858180380_ef60d037a5_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/7004295357_3f5f7b624e_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6096/7004295287_a2d5dbece1_c.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/7004295215_f72013edf2_c.jpg

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,411 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 22, 2012 11:28 |  #2

Nice job

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Muteki
200 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 22, 2012 12:52 |  #3

Nice work! Now mount that camo lens into the camera and tripod and show us the final final results. :P

Raymond

Gears| (external link)Flickr |  (external link)5∞px (external link)|  (external link)Facebook (external link)

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 22, 2012 13:20 |  #4

Thanks gentlemen! :D Already did. The camo was good enough for the duck and grebeto come close. They approved it. lol

Fee

eerfmaps
52 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 22, 2012 14:06 as a reply to  @ cfcRebel's post |  #5

That's pretty awesome! I have to tell you though, I saw the title of the thread and I thought someone was going to try to teach us how to add our own coating to our lens' glass and I was like "NOOOOOO!!!" This seems much less dangerous. ;)

CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 23, 2012 11:58 |  #6

eerfmaps wrote in post #14133494 (external link)
.......I thought someone was going to try to teach us how to add our own coating to our lens' glass and I was like "NOOOOOO!!!" This seems much less dangerous. ;)

Just remember who you're talking about here! :)

In all honesty your handiwork looks pretty nice Fee, with some accompaniment from your girlfriend I'm sure. I would assume then that your zoom and focus rings are covered separately so as not to bind with the rest of the lens body. Looks like to me that Inca is as snug as a bug in a rug! :)
I added the official Lenscoat to my 500mm about a week after deciding to keep it and I'm pretty much happy except w/the price. There is one other drawback that I may run into down the road i.e. the piece that covers the part closest to the camera kind of interferes with the operation of the pinch buttons for the drop-in filter and subsequently the filter holder itself. I may end up just removing that piece should I feel the need to rid myself of a several hundred dollars for the drop-in circular polarizer.

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.com (external link)

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 23, 2012 14:10 |  #7

CamFan01 wrote in post #14139629 (external link)
Just remember who you're talking about here! :)

In all honesty your handiwork looks pretty nice Fee, with some accompaniment from your girlfriend I'm sure. I would assume then that your zoom and focus rings are covered separately so as not to bind with the rest of the lens body. Looks like to me that Inca is as snug as a bug in a rug! :)
I added the official Lenscoat to my 500mm about a week after deciding to keep it and I'm pretty much happy except w/the price. There is one other drawback that I may run into down the road i.e. the piece that covers the part closest to the camera kind of interferes with the operation of the pinch buttons for the drop-in filter and subsequently the filter holder itself. I may end up just removing that piece should I feel the need to rid myself of a several hundred dollars for the drop-in circular polarizer.

Thanks Steve :). Nope, it's all sewed into one piece, no need to zoom since no focal length is long enough for those LBJ. :lol: I'm just j/k. I made sure the matching pattern of the camo is at 800mm since that's probably the FL i use most :). I had to be extra careful with the
rectangular cut-out for the drop-in filter holder. At first i didn't cut it long enough causing one edge of the neoprene preventing the holder from completely click in. It would definitely fall off if turning the lens upside down.
I'm intrigued by using CPL in bird photography. So, now i carry it with me whenever i have a chance to go out with Inca. So far just have not met any subject would stand still long enough for me to put the filter in. :oops:.

Fee

stoshdwalshphotography
718 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 23, 2012 14:19 |  #8

Sweet! Sadly, I'm not much of a DIY person (learned that from macro). For $30 in materials and 4 hours of time, I'd be the one to cough up the LensCoat $$  :o

Stuff I could trade for a brand new car
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2012 15:47 as a reply to  @ stoshdwalshphotography's post |  #9

Thats cool!
I should make something like that for my 100-400. Problem is that I do zoom it once in a while (down from 400).

My Flickr (external link)

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 23, 2012 17:13 |  #10

stoshdwalshphotography wrote in post #14140380 (external link)
Sweet! Sadly, I'm not much of a DIY person (learned that from macro). For $30 in materials and 4 hours of time, I'd be the one to cough up the LensCoat $$ :o

You've given me a business idea! :lol:

jhayesvw wrote in post #14140925 (external link)
Thats cool!
I should make something like that for my 100-400. Problem is that I do zoom it once in a while (down from 400).

It's a cool little project. You should try it Jeremy. :)

Fee

catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 31, 2012 05:39 |  #11

excellent job Fee.

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

9,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Coat.... DIY :D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.