Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best way to display & sell action photos @ baseball tournament

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 23, 2012 16:15 |  #1

Hello to all photog's, Happy TGIF!
Baseball tournament Sales..??
What system do you use for best results... Prints, Big screen TV, Web site, etc..
I have a big tournament coming up in June and trying to plan for the weekend..
32 teams for three days... thanks for the help and info.

Joe

www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 23, 2012 16:30 |  #2

Joe300 wrote in post #14141135 (external link)
What system do you use for best results... Prints, Big screen TV, etc.

One possible option, as used at an auto race.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The vendor set up a tent. As each photographer returned their memory card full of photos to the tent, it was used to print contact sheets, which were labeled with the name of each race. The contact sheets had index numbers for each image, and customers used those numbers to order pictures, which were printed at the tent.

This is a standard event photo sales technique, which concentrates on instant gratification. It's most effective to make sales while the potential customers are at the event and most likely to make a purchase. It's much harder to sell prints after the customers have gone home.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 23, 2012 16:40 |  #3

Thank you,
I like that idea very cool, I might also print out just a good action shots in 5x7 and 8x10. like you said just to get the customer interested in buying on the spot.

Thanks for your idea,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

C.david
169 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 23, 2012 18:21 |  #4

What type of printer would you use onsite? Also, what would your prices be for your prints?
I am curious, the print on location may work for the youth regular season sports as well.

C.

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 23, 2012 18:50 |  #5

The bigest question is whats your budget? But there are many more, some which but not limited to... How much sales help you going to have? How many fields to cover? All games at same location? How many photogs? What level of tournment? Whats the age group?

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 23, 2012 21:48 |  #6

Ok I am back,
Budget is in the RED, I am going into this without a contract, I have a good printer so that I can print out contact sheets, but maybe buying a new printer maybe 100-200.00 dollars.
age group 8 - 12 yr olds. , two fields, two photogs and one person working the photo booth / table sales, printing contacts, etc.. Hope to make $$$ after taxes...lol

That is why I am not sure about prints or just post all to my web site and display images with LCD screens or PC monitors.. running off of a laptop.

Or would it be best to have a runner sending prints to Wal-Mart / Target stores near by the field?
Thanks,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 24, 2012 14:26 |  #7

Do you have an exclusive contract on the event? If not, I wouldn't invest squat in it.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2012 22:57 |  #8

mobei wrote in post #14145825 (external link)
Do you have an exclusive contract on the event? If not, I wouldn't invest squat in it.

Yes, but nothing on paper, just verbal agreement.
I do a lot of the youth sports in my area, so the main guy running the tournament is a good friend and ask me if I want the job and can print or display photo while the games are being palyed..

I like the idea about the contact prints then post to my web site as well.
If I can get my wife and kids to help with sales.. we can all go to McDonald and super size our fries....:D

If nothing else I can shoot the games and post to my web site for sales..
Thanks,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 25, 2012 00:55 |  #9

Joe300 wrote in post #14141135 (external link)
32 teams for three days

Joe300 wrote in post #14148062 (external link)
I like the idea about the contact prints

32 teams, even in single elimination bracket will be 32 games. How many pictures do you take in a game? Let's say 300. That's 9600 pictures. Printing 9 thumbnails per sheet. That's 1066 sheets. That's a lot of ink, a lot of paper, and a lot of time for a printer to constantly print. If your printer averages 30 seconds per page, that's 533 minutes = 9 hours of non-stop printing.

And then you end up with 1000 pages for players and parents to have to sort through to find an unedited, unculled thumbnail picture? Have you seen a 2" thumbnail print?

Go to one of your baseball tournament pages on your website... http://joelaroccaphoto​graphy.com/p631509105 (external link) Can you identify the individual players? Can you see faces in the thumbnails? Can you read jersey numbers even if you managed to capture it in the picture? Now print a page of the thumbnails. Do the pictures look better? Are the players more identifiable? Would it inspire you to buy the picture?

How many pictures do you expect to sell?
How many more pictures do you expect to sell by having contacts sheets?
How many pictures do you need to sell in order to make money?
How many pictures do you need to sell in order to make it worth your time?

You might be better off pre-collecting $100 per team and giving each team a DVD with every picture from the games they play in. That's $3200.

Or $200 per team (only ~$20 per kid for the weekend) and give them a copy of the DVD for each kid.

No contact sheets, no print costs, no order forms, no unknowns about whether you're going to sell enough pictures to cover your time, insurance, business permit for onsite retail sales and tax, wear on equipment, spares, shutter replacement, printers, paper, shipping, extra assistants, etc.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 25, 2012 01:04 |  #10

Or sort them by game. $5/image, $20/all of one kid.

Print everything 4x6. If they refuse, then you trash the photos.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 25, 2012 15:44 |  #11

clarence wrote in post #14148388 (external link)
You might be better off pre-collecting $100 per team and giving each team a DVD with every picture from the games they play in. That's $3200.
Or $200 per team (only ~$20 per kid for the weekend) and give them a copy of the DVD for each kid.

Thanks for the good ideas, I like the up front pre-collecting.
I will have to talk to the Tournament MGR on this..

thanks,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 30, 2012 15:52 |  #12

clarence wrote in post #14148388 (external link)
32 teams, even in single elimination bracket will be 32 games. How many pictures do you take in a game? Let's say 300. That's 9600 pictures. Printing 9 thumbnails per sheet. That's 1066 sheets. That's a lot of ink, a lot of paper, and a lot of time for a printer to constantly print. If your printer averages 30 seconds per page, that's 533 minutes = 9 hours of non-stop printing.

And then you end up with 1000 pages for players and parents to have to sort through to find an unedited, unculled thumbnail picture? Have you seen a 2" thumbnail print?

Go to one of your baseball tournament pages on your website... http://joelaroccaphoto​graphy.com/p631509105 (external link) Can you identify the individual players? Can you see faces in the thumbnails? Can you read jersey numbers even if you managed to capture it in the picture? Now print a page of the thumbnails. Do the pictures look better? Are the players more identifiable? Would it inspire you to buy the picture?

How many pictures do you expect to sell?
How many more pictures do you expect to sell by having contacts sheets?
How many pictures do you need to sell in order to make money?
How many pictures do you need to sell in order to make it worth your time?

No contact sheets, no print costs, no order forms, no unknowns about whether you're going to sell enough pictures to cover your time, insurance, business permit for onsite retail sales and tax, wear on equipment, spares, shutter replacement, printers, paper, shipping, extra assistants, etc.

Great advice.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 30, 2012 15:55 |  #13

If you do the upfront photos, I would change your style a bit. With baseball it will probably be much easier to accomplish, but I would make sure to get one or two decent shots of each kid.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

sedonaaz
228 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2012 17:47 as a reply to  @ facedodge's post |  #14

Hello I do baseball and softball tournament on a regular basis. Can be very profitable. I use a Sony die sub printer and print 5 x7 prints onsite and offer everything else online. I have 3 viewing stations and sell the prints for 10.00. If they don't buy onsite they are not going to your website. Only a hand full of sales from the web. Unless I am doing something wrong. If that is the case please someone help me. We shoot 3 tournaments a month and make about 8 to 12 k. We use 5 min photo as our software just amazing would not change that for anything.

http://jtsportsphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
http://Facebook.com/JT​SportsPhotography (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 06, 2012 18:18 |  #15

you make 8,000 to 12,000 a month shooting baseball and softball?? ?? That is well beyond what I ever thought was possible...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links

8,376 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best way to display & sell action photos @ baseball tournament
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.