Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Mar 2012 (Friday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D III - Let's talk settings!

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2012 19:19 |  #1

What settings you change that are a big deal to you? I'm not talking basic stuff, stuff that made a big difference on how you use the cameras on a day by day basis.

For example, a few things I changed I think are going to make the camera much more friendly for me.

The SET button I have set to ISO, now instead of fumbling for the tiny button up top (which is harder to press now) I can just hold down the SET button and move the top wheel to change it. Just feels a lot easier.

Love the new minimum shutter speed, I have it set to 1/60 now so when I am in AV mode it never drops below that, but seriously considering just setting it to 1/125 because I mostly shoot people and that's the minimum I like to shoot at.

I have been considering turning on only cross type points for the Select-able AF points. This reduces the amount of points, but I think it will make it more reliable. I haven't had a chance to really test this theory.

First thing I did was turn off the LCD AUTO brightness, that thing drives me nuts. Initially look at your review image and it is grossly underexposed and then hit play again it is fine. Too difficult to know quickly what my exposure looks like. I do use the histogram as well. I set it to manual: 4 for now. I just don't like it changing on me when I am trying to quickly view my review image.

The multi-function lock is another one of my favorites. By default it only locks the job wheel, but you can include the quick wheel and/or the multi-controller. I have it lock both wheels, and now with the mode lock I can be assured I can lock all my settings and not worry about it changing. Mode never gave me a lot of problems but I did frequently knock either the aperture or shutter speed dials from time to time, so being able to just flip the lock switch when I know I won't be changing much is a nice change.

I changed the multi-function button (press in middle) to reset AF point to center. This is pretty useful to quickly set the af point back to center. Not much else you can use the button for.

I am using the warnings in view finder to tell me when I have a custom white balance set, the two uses I find for this (depending on what you do more) is to let you know when you are using spot metering or using custom white balance. The other options not that big of a deal. I'd love to use it for both, but it doesn't differentiate which is set. So you get a ! no matter what trigger you set. It is a fairly good size icon, they could have easily made it say CWB or SPOT so you can tell which is being flagged. Either way, minorly useful.

Those are the main changes I found I thought would be useful that actually changed how you work with the camera.

Be curious what others are doing.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2012 20:30 |  #2

The only thing i've really done is switch the back wheel and shutter wheel in manual mode.

Just feels better to have fstop on the shutter wheel like in AV mode.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2012 20:31 |  #3

Kechar wrote in post #14142438 (external link)
The only thing i've really done is switch the back wheel and shutter wheel in manual mode.

Just feels better to have fstop on the shutter wheel like in AV mode.

Yeah that drives me crazy how it switches, I never bothered to change it. Not sure if it was possible on my 7D, may consider that myself.

Full Gear List

Saxi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2012 22:08 |  #4

Another change I made that is pretty useful. Changing the DOF button to be a toggle for one-shot / servo. Because I didn't really use DOF before, and now the button is super convienient spot now, this is a great use of the button. It's out of the way where it won't be hit by accident, and since you have to "hold" it down, it's perfect for using in servo mode. Probably my favorite customization now!

Full Gear List

dho81
282 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2012 23:41 |  #5

LOVE the Focus Priority settings under the AF -- it basically tells the camera not to shoot unless your focus is locked on, even in servo mode. So if you hold down the shutter button while servo is on, it won't fire until it has focus. You can either tell it to prioritize taking a shot, or ensuring focus... AF on this thing is freaking killer... can't wait to shoot a wedding with these guys

My Portfolio (external link)
My Blog (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2012 00:34 |  #6

dho81 wrote in post #14143258 (external link)
LOVE the Focus Priority settings under the AF -- it basically tells the camera not to shoot unless your focus is locked on, even in servo mode. So if you hold down the shutter button while servo is on, it won't fire until it has focus. You can either tell it to prioritize taking a shot, or ensuring focus... AF on this thing is freaking killer... can't wait to shoot a wedding with these guys

The only thing I got out of that was I love that the 5D has an actual focus system! I can't wait to try it in low light conditions!

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 24, 2012 00:56 |  #7

Saxi wrote in post #14142149 (external link)
I have been considering turning on only cross type points for the Select-able AF points. This reduces the amount of points, but I think it will make it more reliable. I haven't had a chance to really test this theory.

Just to clarify, doing this (or setting it to 15 or 9) reduces the amount of focus points that you can select, but the other points are still there and will still work if you are using AF point expansion. They are not disabled or turned off in any way, just not selectable.

I'll be curious to see what people find with this latest AF system, but based on experience with my 1DsII I think I would reduce the selectable points to 15. That way switching from the top left corner to the top right corner is only 3 clicks on the joystick rather than 12.

Based on my experience with the 7D, I would choose to enable orientation linked AF settings. This allows you to have different settings when holding the camera vertical vs horizontal. Very convenient when switching back and forth.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 24, 2012 07:52 |  #8

What I did so far:
- Move focus to back button
- Set to record separately, RAW to CF, S1 JPEG
- Make sure all my lens has Lens aberration correction enabled
- Set the auto-ISO 100-12800, min shutter speed 125
- Set the pic style for JPEG, sharpness 5, contrast +1, saturation +2
- Change the Selectable AF point to Only cross-type points
- Enable the orientation linked AF point
- Set autorotate to on computer only
- Set ISO speed setting to 1/1
- Custom Control: back button focus, swap Tv/Av in M mode, M-Fn = level, use joystick for AF select
- and finally set the custom setting C1 to C3

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

peteg1
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 24, 2012 09:44 |  #9

Saxi wrote in post #14142842 (external link)
Another change I made that is pretty useful. Changing the DOF button to be a toggle for one-shot / servo. Because I didn't really use DOF before, and now the button is super convienient spot now, this is a great use of the button. It's out of the way where it won't be hit by accident, and since you have to "hold" it down, it's perfect for using in servo mode. Probably my favorite customization now!

Good idea, I might do the same. Mine comes in Mon.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

facedodge
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 25, 2012 20:19 as a reply to  @ peteg1's post |  #10

Subscribed... to toy with later

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 25, 2012 20:31 |  #11

I set the DoF button to bring up the electronic level.

What else...hmm...I added mirror lock-up to the custom menu, along with format card and speedlite control. Changed a bunch of basic settings to suit my needs, but I won't bore anyone with those.

The biggest change I did was get a UniWB profile set up as my custom white balance, but it's not working well (despite producing photos with perfect multipliers). See my thread about it here.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Fodowsky
591 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 29, 2012 18:08 |  #12

Any other comments on settings?

Gear and Feedback

facedodge
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 09, 2012 15:40 |  #13

I've change the DOF button to switch to registered AF point. I've also reversed shutter speed and aperture dials. Changed Set button to zoom during playback.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 09, 2012 15:54 |  #14

The very first things I changed.

Disable shooting without CF card
Turn off AF confirmation beep
AF to af-on and shutter button to Start Meter
Switch top wheel to AV and big wheel to Tv

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2012 16:00 |  #15

Oh, I also changed the multi-controller settings so that it can directly change the selected AF point. That option is somewhere in the custom settings.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

72,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D III - Let's talk settings!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.