Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50mm on a 1.3x - yay or nay?

MrNothing
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2012 17:23 |  #1

I'm not too much of a prime lens user as I personally prefer versatility (probably has to do with photoj work) but I think it is essential to at least have a 50mm in your kit. I use to have ninftyfifty 1.8 on my 50D but sold it and haven't really had any experience with that focal length in awhile. now, i'm considering getting my hands on a sigma 50 1.4 for the 1Diii. problem is that it's not a true fifty focal length (more like 65mm). is it a big deal? how is your personal experience with a 50mm on a 1.3x crop? and what are thoughts on the sigma 50 1.4 too? thanks!

sponsored links
Overread
Goldmember
2,226 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 24, 2012 17:29 |  #2

When you say "its not a true 50mm focal length" what exactly do you mean by that?

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 24, 2012 17:32 |  #3

Why not set your 24-105 at 50mm and see if you like that focal length? What subjects do you shoot primarily?

B&W film shooter gone digital.

MrNothing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2012 17:45 |  #4

Overread wrote in post #14146579 (external link)
When you say "its not a true 50mm focal length" what exactly do you mean by that?

because i'm planning to use it on my 1Diii that has a 1.3x crop, the lens new focal length would multiply and become a 65mm lens unlike how it would be a 50mm on a FF.

Project22a wrote in post #14146597 (external link)
Why not set your 24-105 at 50mm and see if you like that focal length? What subjects do you shoot primarily?

unfortunately the 24-105 is my work horse lens :) (hoping to replace it with a 24-70 though). i'm in a photoj program so i'm not really shooting anything specific. the prime would do well when it comes to portraits or when i want selective focus with everything else blurred.

Overread
Goldmember
2,226 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 24, 2012 17:51 |  #5

Gotcha, was wondering if it was crop factor or the reported focal length that you were getting at. However do you have fullframe experience of a 50mm to have a pre-defined impression of 50mm in focal length and a specific desire for that exact re-created angle of view?

From what you say it sounds more like you just want a fast prime lens - the 50mm f1.4 would fit that bill very well, though you could also consider the 85mm primes as well. You might want to set your zoom to those rough values (zooms are always a little rough with their in-between the extremes focal lengths) just to get a feel for which generally works best for you - esp if you find yourself shooting indoors a lot (where the 85mm might be a bit long)

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 24, 2012 17:54 |  #6

MrNothing wrote in post #14146547 (external link)
I'm not too much of a prime lens user as I personally prefer versatility (probably has to do with photoj work) but I think it is essential to at least have a 50mm in your kit. I use to have ninftyfifty 1.8 on my 50D but sold it and haven't really had any experience with that focal length in awhile. now, i'm considering getting my hands on a sigma 50 1.4 for the 1Diii. problem is that it's not a true fifty focal length (more like 65mm). is it a big deal? how is your personal experience with a 50mm on a 1.3x crop? and what are thoughts on the sigma 50 1.4 too? thanks!

All photos taken in this gallery are from a 1D2 and the 50mm f1.8.

Remember, your sensor does not change focal length. Only the lens can do that.

IMAGE: http://www.jameshorine.com/Spirituality/Counter-Culture/420-Celebration-Porter-Meadow/KW7A2229/843835123_ZexBa-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.jameshorine​.com …43835123&k=ZexB​a&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

MrNothing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2012 18:03 |  #7

Overread wrote in post #14146717 (external link)
Gotcha, was wondering if it was crop factor or the reported focal length that you were getting at. However do you have fullframe experience of a 50mm to have a pre-defined impression of 50mm in focal length and a specific desire for that exact re-created angle of view?

From what you say it sounds more like you just want a fast prime lens - the 50mm f1.4 would fit that bill very well, though you could also consider the 85mm primes as well. You might want to set your zoom to those rough values (zooms are always a little rough with their in-between the extremes focal lengths) just to get a feel for which generally works best for you - esp if you find yourself shooting indoors a lot (where the 85mm might be a bit long)

never had any experience with a 50 on a FF. a 85 yes though. putting it on a 1.3 though would be right in between a 50 and a 85 which i guess is a comfortable focal length.

in terms of wanting a exact 50mm - eh. it's somewhat of a factor but not compared to wanting a fast lens. i've actually tried putting my lenses at both 35mm (45mm on a 1.3x which is close to 50mm) and 50mm (65mm) and found it a tad awkward at 50mm but better then 35mm. if anything, the extra focal length doesn't hurt then not being close enough to a subject.

Overread
Goldmember
2,226 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 24, 2012 18:07 |  #8

Considering that the 50mm setting already has you feeling its long enough then I'd say that combined with wanting a fast prime and the 50mm f1.4 should suit your needs. Going any shorter in focal length and you'll start to risk having problems with perspective distortion; esp when working up close indoors with subjects such as people (even if the lens is giving the angle of view of a 45mm you'll still get the perspective distortion taking effect on a 35mm).

Though you could correct some of this in editing its much easier to use a longer lens and eliminated it from occurring - so time to put that 50mm on order

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2012 20:42 |  #9

I would avoid either Canons. The Sigma 50/1.4 is better than the Canon 1.4 and the same price/cheaper.

Another good option is the Tamron 60/2 macro. Getting a bit long on APS-H but F2 and macro. You will have some vignetting. It's very inexpensive.

Gear

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2012 20:48 |  #10

Sp1207 wrote in post #14147431 (external link)
I would avoid either Canons. The Sigma 50/1.4 is better than the Canon 1.4 and the same price/cheaper.

Another good option is the Tamron 60/2 macro. Getting a bit long on APS-H but F2 and macro. You will have some vignetting. It's very inexpensive.

The Sigmalux is NOT the same price or cheaper than the Canon!

Kel
Gear

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 24, 2012 21:00 |  #11

MrNothing wrote in post #14146772 (external link)
never had any experience with a 50 on a FF. a 85 yes though. putting it on a 1.3 though would be right in between a 50 and a 85 which i guess is a comfortable focal length.

If you've never used a 50mm lens on a full frame camera then why do you care about trying to duplicate it?

in terms of wanting a exact 50mm - eh. it's somewhat of a factor but not compared to wanting a fast lens. i've actually tried putting my lenses at both 35mm (45mm on a 1.3x which is close to 50mm) and 50mm (65mm) and found it a tad awkward at 50mm but better then 35mm. if anything, the extra focal length doesn't hurt then not being close enough to a subject.

If you like the longer focal length better then, again, why are you trying to duplicate 50mm? Why are you wasting your time doing all this crop factor math to duplicate a field of view you have not used instead of picking a lens that gives you the field of view that you want on your camera?

I will suggest that you get the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. It is more reliable than the Canon lens and more important for your needs it is not a 'true' 50mm when focusing at the distances where you are most likely to be using it. When I had one I compared it to several other 50mm lenses and when focused at living room distances the lens is closer to 45mm, maybe even a little wider.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

MrNothing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2012 21:25 |  #12

krb wrote in post #14147499 (external link)
If you've never used a 50mm lens on a full frame camera then why do you care about trying to duplicate it?

If you like the longer focal length better then, again, why are you trying to duplicate 50mm? Why are you wasting your time doing all this crop factor math to duplicate a field of view you have not used instead of picking a lens that gives you the field of view that you want on your camera?

I will suggest that you get the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. It is more reliable than the Canon lens and more important for your needs it is not a 'true' 50mm when focusing at the distances where you are most likely to be using it. When I had one I compared it to several other 50mm lenses and when focused at living room distances the lens is closer to 45mm, maybe even a little wider.

i guess i'm very indecisive when it comes this issue :lol: the reason i'm divided on this is because i like the idea of having a lens that arguably, has the same fov as our own eyes (some say between 28-50mm) so whenever i do street photography or maybe something documentary, whatever i exactly frame with my own eyes would turn out the same in my photo. the other side though would be that with a longer focal length, i can have a slightly tighter frame on my subject depending how far i stand from them/it.

when it comes to the 1.4, i over looked the canon version for the sigma. i'm sure there are a lot of rave reviews and users who love their canon 50 1.4 but the newer design and better glass and price really sell it for me for the sigma

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 24, 2012 21:56 |  #13

MrNothing wrote in post #14147624 (external link)
when it comes to the 1.4, i over looked the canon version for the sigma. i'm sure there are a lot of rave reviews and users who love their canon 50 1.4 but the newer design and better glass and price really sell it for me for the sigma

I've had both and really liked the Sigma.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

MrNothing
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2012 22:16 |  #14

krb wrote in post #14147757 (external link)
I've had both and really liked the Sigma.

have you had any of the front of back focusing issues that people seem to have with it? that is the only thing that worries me about it :confused:

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 24, 2012 22:20 |  #15

MrNothing wrote in post #14147846 (external link)
have you had any of the front of back focusing issues that people seem to have with it? that is the only thing that worries me about it :confused:

Mine was fine. Sold it because I bought a full frame camera and wanted an 85 to use on it.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

3,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mm on a 1.3x - yay or nay?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.