Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 09:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 4 - Import previews not showing on 5D

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 25, 2012 09:01 |  #1

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded to LR4. Love it. However I am now starting to use my old 5Dc again for the summer and when I connect the camera to the PC with a USB cable, the import previews are empty and just say "Preview Not Available".

My 5D2 works fine.
Putting the 5Dc card in a card reader works fine.
The 5D2 even shows the previews when I put the card from the 5Dc in (with images taken by the 5Dc) - so the images aren't the problem.

I prefer to connect the camera by USB as I dont want to be continually removing and re-inserting the CF card.

The issue really is that it was working on LR3 and only failed since I've moved to LR4.

Is this something I've got to live with or is there something I can do, like re-install drivers, etc? I have already purged the RAW cache and that made no difference.

Cheers.

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

sponsored links
Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 25, 2012 09:39 |  #2

I used to get previews in LR3 but now neither LR3 nor LR4 show any previews when I connect my 5Dc on Win7 64-bit. I still have both installed. I'm interested if there is a solution.

Don't you find the transfer rate from 5Dc extremely slow though? I just tend to use a card reader which is much faster. I take a couple of seconds extra to make sure I insert the card straight not to bend any pins.

rusty.jg
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 25, 2012 09:44 as a reply to  @ Xcelx's post |  #3

Yeah the transfer rate is pretty slow - the 5D2 is a huge step up. I have been using a card reader in the past but I just have a thing about the pins recently. Probably due to reading some horror stories on here.

My 5Dc is IR converted so I only shoot probably a third or so of my images on it so it doesn't get used as heavily as the 5D2. Would still like the previews to show up though.

I'm also on win7 64-bit.

Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 25, 2012 10:14 |  #4

Install EOS Utility and use it to transfer the files to the desired folder. Then launch LR and import with "Add" instead of "Copy".

Elie / אלי

rusty.jg
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2012 03:12 |  #5

tzalman wrote in post #14149649 (external link)
Install EOS Utility and use it to transfer the files to the desired folder. Then launch LR and import with "Add" instead of "Copy".

Thats a neat idea. I hadn't thought of using a separate importer. It might be worth changing my workflow a bit so that I import all images from both cameras into my "backup" folder and use LR to import(copy) from the backup folder into my LR catalog.

This way I keep my backup of everything (which I can archive off) and I only take the images I need into LR rather than delete them later.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 26, 2012 09:58 |  #6

rusty.jg wrote in post #14154168 (external link)
Thats a neat idea. I hadn't thought of using a separate importer. It might be worth changing my workflow a bit so that I import all images from both cameras into my "backup" folder and use LR to import(copy) from the backup folder into my LR catalog.

This way I keep my backup of everything (which I can archive off) and I only take the images I need into LR rather than delete them later.

While that workflow can be a solution to the direct import path from the 5Dc, it seems to be far less time efficient than a careful and methodical insertion of CF card into CF reader, which might add a minor two seconds by virtue of the greater care spent in not ramming it in rapidly and bending pins due to total lack of thought or care. Yes, CF pins have gotten bent for some, but one has to wonder if slam-bam-thankyoumaam vs. careful insertion was involved in the bent pin.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

rusty.jg
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 27, 2012 09:04 |  #7

I agree with all that a card reader is much faster - for my 5D2 I even have a 600x cf card and a usb 3 card reader. However because I'm not transferring hundreds of images a day anymore, they are redundant and likely to be sold. As for a long time to transfer from the 5Dc, time is no longer an issue - I dont mind waiting for 5 minutes while the images come down.

When I used to use the card reader, I would place the card into the slot (along the guide rails) and push gently til it hit resistance. I would then gently tap the back of the card to ensure all the pins are entering the holes correctly then gently push the card home. However I still think this is susceptible to getting bent pins. The other thing is the CF card door that is continually getting opened and closed. I have no idea what kind of failure rating that hinge has but I dont like the idea of opening the door 2/3 times a day for the life of the camera.

Its definitely just me and my mindset but the less I have move things the better.

Anyway if the 5D just gave me previews (like it used to), none of this would be an issue :D

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 27, 2012 10:07 |  #8

I'll admit I haven't plugged my 5DC into a computer for years. It's so dang slow. I believe in the specs they claim USB2, but in all seriousness I believe it's USB1, at least performance-wise.

So it's always been a card reader for me.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

4,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 4 - Import previews not showing on 5D
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.